What is the best engine made

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  What is the best engine made

Hey, just asking for all of your opinions on what each of you think is/was the BEST engine ever made? (foreign or domestic) Thanx for your time and i'd love to see some of your opinions. :cool:

posted by  car_crazy89

Well, depends on the era. To me, the most advanced for its time would definately be the 426. By now'a'days standards, the 426 is nothing special, technology wise that is. I'd say one of the most advanced motors in a production vehicle that doesn't cost $50000+ would be the DOD (Displacement on Demand) engines GM is putting in their new GP's. That's arguable though, some could say that the engine from a TDI Jetta is just as good becuase it's diesel and it gets 1000km to a tank. It's just prefference when it comes down to it.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

That is very vague and open. Do you base your answer on absolute performance? Power? Efficiency? Innovation?

posted by  Gothicaleigh

Advanced? The 426 Hemi, while a great engine, was introduced in 1964. The hemi head was designed in the late '30's/early '40 for WWII aircraft and had been in production in one form or another ever since. Why would you say that engine design that was 25ish years old was advanced. Oh yeah.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/f7d791c3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/vwhobo/14bd0f86.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

Because it was finally made effective.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

In a word, bullshit. The hemispherical combustion chamber had been effective for 20 plus years. Don't tap dance, just pay attention and learn.

posted by  vwhobo

I know it had been, was introduced in 1951 with a 331ci that made 180hp and 320ft-lbs. That's good power for 50's, sure.

426's hp wasn't so impressive, it's the torque that beast produced. 490ft-lbs to be exact. No STREET hemi even came close to touching that.

Now we're talking production cars, which includes streetable cars. The 392ci hemi made a load of power, sure, but was extremely in-efficient. It made hardly any power at low RPMs it had idle problems and was just a hog, also was designed for Nascar if I remember correctly. The 426 on the other hand made good power throughout the range, economy was increase (somewhat.. haha) and this one was actually made to be driven unlike its predecessors.

That's why I stand by the 426 for its era. Hell, it'll still wallop pretty much anything you put up against it. The engine might weigh more than the average car but that's another story :roll:

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

This thread has already been done:
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5065&highlight=Favorite+eng ine

But If you don't feel like Reading an older one, we shall continue.

Mine is the 2JZ-GTTE, mmmm, that engine just screams sexy to me everytime I've ever heard it rev up!

posted by  Zalight

Hmmmm C6 Corvette LS2...

Reason: I love the Vette...I love the engine...

posted by  PeteBobJoe

Yes it was. If you are smart enough to know that the HP figures given were very modest and downplayed. A long, long, long, time ago, Hot Rod magazine had an artical called "Modern Hemi from Chrysler." It states the HP figures given with SAE standards were 550 - 570HP.

posted by  DodgeRida67

What exactly about an engine are the differences or specs that make one better than another?

posted by  boothe

Your Message