Never going back

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Never going back

Today was the first day I've gotten to drive the Fiero for a real cruse. Sunroof off, windows down, tune cranked up. I just had so much fun. I’m never going back to a sedan or SUV ever again (my last two cars).

I just can’t explain the fun I had. Being that close to the ground didn’t faze me as much as I thought it would. And with the V8 conversion, and the suspension up grade, well I certainly wasn’t going anywhere slow.

I’m so glad I didn’t listen to my friends who bitched that I was getting a Fiero.
2 setter, low, fast, great handling... couldn’t choose a better car.
It’s like being 10 again and driving my first go-cart. I absolutely love it.

I highly suggest any one who likes small, fast, cars to try a V-8 Fiero. Not a bad choice at all, especially with a Getrag 5 speed...

posted by  TheFieroKid

how many hp and lbs?

posted by  ciVicman

The original L4 engine was replaced with a 350 TPI yielding 225HP and 330FT/LBs
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/804000-804999/804008_9_f ull.jpg

posted by  TheFieroKid

not bad notbad :clap:

posted by  ciVicman

Ya actually its not. And because the engine is mounted in the back weight distruabution is compeletly different, and in 2nd gear I can bring the front tires off the ground. Not too shabby for a Fiero.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Fiero's are sexy cars, we worked on one about three months ago, don't remember the year, might've been an '84 also. Had the 2.8 engine. The car only had 13999km on it. It was completely mint, under the hood, everything looked like it just rolled off the line, and under the trunk, there was a little bit of dirt on the engine, but that's understandeable. We had to get the thing running after sitting for 15 years. Fuel tank had to be cleaned out for it was rusted, a new sending unit was in order also. Gave it a tune up and ran the Motovac system through it and she was brought back to life. They're way over priced for what you get, though. I would buy something else before spending 10 grand on a good condition Fiero.

Though you say the handle real well? I beg to differ. They have horrid handling. My FWD GP has better handling than that thing did, and that's not saying a lot.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Did you actually drive one?
The rear mounted engine gives you a much better handling.
I’ve driven my dads 1989 Shelby Daytona Z and the Fiero handles in the corners much better.
Plus mine has a whole new suspension front and rear sway bars and it was lowered 2IN. I couldn’t tell you what manufacture the suspension is as I’m not the one who did it. But it definitely will handle better then any FWD car.

I invite you to come drive The Cherry Buster and tell me what you think.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Yes I did drive the car, I drive pretty much every car that comes into our shop.

Despite what everybody thinks, lowering a car doesn't automatically make it handle better.

Also, rear mounted engine and trans lowers handling, especially in that cars case, it's so light already, it's probably got a 75/25 distribution on the rear wheels, nothing on the front tires, which is where you get handling, in theory you want a 50/50 distribution.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Actually its got closer to 55/45, but what ever.

posted by  TheFieroKid

i've had 2 fiero's ('86 2.8 se auto & '85 gt 4 speed) and have driven numerous w-bodies. the fieros handle well after you get used to them being really light in the front (as compared to an f-body). the w-bodies handle pretty well also, once you get used to the weight and the school bus-like turning radius. it's all what you're used to and what you like... i think people should be allowed to have their opinions... :banghead: :banghead: and it's a nice fiero.....kid :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

88GrandPrixSE - what shop do you work for? PM me if you do not want the whole forum to know :laughing:

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message