CD player replacement?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  CD player replacement?

I recently got a car, it's nothing impressive, but it'll do for the time being.

The car I got is a 1992 Saturn SL2 -- got it for a reasonable price, and runs great. -- A few dings, but nothing major.

The only thing I really dislike is the CD player, it's older and picky about CD's. -- When a cd has a little bit of dust, it will start to skip. And I put the same CD into my newer stereo, it has no problem with the dust and little scratches. -- So I wanted to replace the CD player in my car. -- It seems to be a special kind of CD player that was meant for the car, I'll try to find a picture of it so you all can see.

Does anyone know where I could possible find a replacement CD player that is newer?

Thanks.

posted by  Akuma

If by special, you mean twice the size of most aftermarket stereos?...

That means its a double DIN deck. You can get aftermarket 1 DIN decks and a install kit that gives you a faceplate adaptor, so you can put the 1 DIN deck into a 2 DIN slot...

If your looking for cheap, try used. But brand new aftermarket decks that are of good quality can be found for anywhere from 150-200$.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yes, it would happen to be a two deck. -- I guess I'll do some searching to find a good deal then. Thanks for the info.

posted by  Akuma

I would definitely recommend alpine or pioneer. Although slightly pricier, they are two of the top brands :thumbs:

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yes, that's what the guy at bestbuy said to get. -- So I was figuring out how much all this would cost if they installed everything that was needed, since I have no clue what I am doing when it comes down to anything with cars. (me being only 15, and haven't studied cars, that's why I'm here to learn something)

So I need, 2 pairs of speakers (not sure the price), CD Player $100.00, Kit $19.00, installiation of speakers 32 per pair, so $64.00. -- And there could be some other expenses that I'm missing, so, around 200.00 to get me set. I feel that's a fairly reasonable price. -- It would be a lot cheaper if I could do it on my own, but I'm sure I'd break something in the process to add to that.

posted by  Akuma

probably be in the neighbourhood of 250$ once you get speakers....which is really good for a stereo setup, installed. hell, I paid more then that for my deck alone, and i installed it myself...

definitely safer to have someone install it for you if you arent sure what you are doing.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Very true, it is safer to have someone else do it since they know what they are doing. -- Cause someone said that it's possible to crack the dash when installing the kit.

So, hopefully I can get this all put in sometime soon.

posted by  Akuma

may i suggest ebay?

posted by  Ki2AY

If I bought the deck else where, I wouldn't get the free install. -- Which is nice. And I don't know of anyone else that would do it, or knows how to.

posted by  Akuma

If you get one from best buy, make sure not to let them shove you into buying something that you don't need. If you just need something to play cd's and radio, then the base model deck will work just fine for you. No it won't be top of the line or XM-compatible, but ask yourself if you really NEED it to be. THe same goes for your speakers. so all said I'd be so bold to say you could install the deck and speakers for about $150

posted by  biggs

Oh I almost forgot, any special reason you're replacing the stock speakers, 9 times outta ten, they'll hook up to your new deck. (Let the installers do that)

posted by  biggs

more accurately, 10 times out of 10 the stock speakers will hook up, but in most cases, especially with older vehicles, the stock speakers will not hold up to an aftermarket deck and sound good. If sound quality is important, then aftermarket speakers are the way to go...

posted by  dodgerforlife

That's a good question, I forgot to mention this.

I'm replacing the stock speakers because they're old of course, but they are also shot. If you have them too loud, they start to sound like crap. -- And mainly just the driver side speaker for some reason, and also because the wire is cut on the left back speaker. -- So I thought if I was going to get a new CD player, might as well put some new speakers in and get it all done in one.

posted by  Akuma

yeah, then new speakers should be done :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

I went to go look at speakers today that would fit into my car, hopefully fit anyways. And they are 50.00 for a pair.. so that's 100 bucks for 4. 284.00$ going into a CD player and speaker replacement.

posted by  Akuma

Your Message