1984 Mercury Marquis Tail Lights

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1984 Mercury Marquis Tail Lights

i have a 1984 mercury marquis that i bought at an auction to find out that my tail lights dont work. i replaced the fuse. and it didnt work. i have brake lights and reverse lights. i have headlights and brites but no tail lights. i cant figure out whats wrong here. please help. thank

Greasy

posted by  irishgreaser

check and see if your tail lights are in backwards
if you remove them they should have two little "ears" on the side, one higher than the other
putting them in backwards will cause only one of them to light, not both

posted by  asa67_stang

how bout you see the bulbs? are they burnt out? its usually the most obvious things that are wrong... :rolleyes:

posted by  SuperJew

the bulbs arent burnt out and they are in te right way. the tail lights and the brake lights use the same bulbs. which is why i dont understand why i have no tail lights.

Greasy

posted by  irishgreaser

are you sure they are in the right way?

i was going to go into explaining why you need to make sure, but i've got an idea that you didn't check and just ignored what i said

posted by  asa67_stang

It's very possible you may have a bad switch. Notorious for earlier model ford/ merqs. It's almost impossible to install the bulbs backwards without crushing the glass in your hand, being, one tip is set higher than the other.

posted by  lectroid

no it isn't
trust me on that
i've done it several times, on several different vehicles, it's not that hard at all

posted by  asa67_stang

What can I say? Your'e special or lucky. No pun intended.......... Maybe I should have said , twisting the bulb out of the base.

posted by  lectroid

With an avater like that you should have called yourself Jolly Roger. You bought a car at auction just to find out the tail lights don't work? You could have saved alot of money by just reaching in and turning them on.

The first question is;

If the answer is no, go directly to the switch and replace it. If the answer is yes, you have an open circuit between the switch and tail lights. Time to break out the old wiring diagram and test light.

The probability is 98% you'll need a switch, just like lectroid said.

Note to lectroid. It is possible to get the bulbs (1157) in backwards, I see it all the time (you can even jam in an 1156), but... the contacts will simply be reversed and you'll have brighter tail lights than brake lights. This is not so good if you don't like to be rear ended.

DISCLAIMER: The last sentence was not a homosexual joke, but this is.

Q: How can you tell you're at a gay picnic?
A: The hotdogs taste like shit.

posted by  vwhobo

ewww....

posted by  asa67_stang

Oops, wrong wording, should have said hard to do,You would almost have to be an idiot,,,,,,, has never happened to me and I won't be eating anymore hotdogs!

posted by  lectroid

I agree 100%. They made the light bulbs idiot proof... Then they improved the idiot. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

How come no joke on this post?

posted by  lectroid

Jokes can be offensive to some people. Because of that I don't believe in them.

How's that? 8)

posted by  vwhobo

That's bullshit :rolleyes: How in the world would anyone get offended on this site :D

posted by  lectroid

Four Cajuns were sitting around a campfire near the Atchafalaya Basin. They were "philosophizing" on what was the fastest thing in the world.

Boudreaux said, "I tink de fassest ting in the werld is a 'tought', because before you ken tink of it it's already tought."

Thibodeaux said, "No, the fassest ting in the werld is a 'blink' because before you ken tink about it you dun blunk already."

Alfonse said, "No, the fassest ting in the werld is lectricity because when you turn dat light switch on de lectricity travels fass-fass and the lights come on before you know it."

T-Boy said,"Ya'll all wrongg, the fassest ting in the werld is diarrhea."

Everyone asked, "Diarrhea?"

T-Boy said, "Yea, lass night before I could tink, blink, or turn on de lights, I don shit ma pants."

posted by  vwhobo

I'll have to build my joke stash back-up. Lost them all after my cpu smoked and burned a few months ago. I had that one. NO, I didn't have them backed up. Here's an old one.

Sometimes women are overly suspicious of their husbands. When Adam
stayed out very late for a few nights, Eve became upset. "You're
running around with other women," she charged.

"You're being unreasonable," Adam responded. "You're the only woman on
earth." The quarrel continued until Adam fell asleep, only to be
awakened by someone poking him in the chest.

It was Eve. "What do you think you're doing?" Adam demanded.

"Counting your ribs," said Eve.

posted by  lectroid

pfft, you dont know how people feel sometimes, people can get offended easily and commit suicide, how would you feel to hear that your name was on someones suicide note? ive seen it on tv! just think about what you say to people and dont just shrug it off like you just did, BTW: im not thinking of suicide.

posted by  stringer001

that was so far out of left field that i think it was actually a normal comment....
8O

posted by  asa67_stang

yeah asa i would agree with you....and while on the topic of jokes heres another one:

Walking up to his favorite club, a man notices a cute blonde crying in the entrance way. Being the gentleman that he was, he asked her what was wrong. Sucking up her tears, she pointed to a sign by the door: "You must be 21 years of age to enter" "that's the 7th club I've been to tonight that had that stupid rule." Feeling sorry for her, knowing what a great club it is, he askes her how many years it is until she's 21. Wiping away tears, she responds." That's just it. I'm 22. Kinda shitty that you can only go clubbing for 1 year, huh?

:D boy i love being a redhead...no readhead jokes!

posted by  SuperJew

Your Message