Well I have a 1990 Pontiac 6000 LE AUTO 3.1L V6 148,602 Miles
it has 2 problems and i have some ideas as to what might fix them. someone correct me here because i really like this car and wouldnt want to trash it.
1. When i go 45, 50, or 55 MPH, the service engine light comes on.
2. When the car is warmed up i head to school and go through a lot of stop signs. When i stop at one and then go to move again, the engine revs but the car doesnt move. this happens for about a second and then the car either moves or jerks forward depending on how much gas i am adding. As fun as this is doing burnouts, its very frustrating. I stop on a back-sloping hill, and when i go to move agian the car rolls back and then only moves. i am always afraid to hit the person behind me.
For problem #1
1. Dont mind it.
2. Get the wire going to the dashboard that activates the light disconnected
For problem #2
1. Try a fuel injector cleaner. however this has had negative effects in the past. the car was shutting off randomly. then again if the car is revving before it engages then there is fuel coming to the engine so that cant be the problem
2. I have read of things called "Gear Links". Something that pulls the gears in place. this is an automatic car that i have. and the procedure or replacing the link may prove costly and ineffective.
3. Dont mind it (kinda a bad idea but if you say that this is nothing to worry about and its natural in old cars, then i will just leave it alone)
PLEASE LET ME KNOW I REALLY LOVE THIS CAR MY DAD HAD IT FOR 8 YEARS AND EVERY TIME I DRIVE I REMEMBER HIM.
For the first problem, as long as you're sure that there isn't a problem, then either of your suggestions will work. For the second one, I can tell you that it is definitely a transmission problem of some kind, not real sure what because I've never experienced a problem like that before. Your second solution sounds like it may be the answer.
Well thats what i dont know. Ive seen these cars going over 200k miles and people still drive them. I just dont want to fix something that is not needed. If this is not a fatal problem, then i just wont bother with it, but if it is then i might fix it. I also want to start modding the car as dumb as this may sound. Just a sound system, but i still want to be assured that my investment will be protected.
check your trans fluid, for starters. see if it's low, and smell it. if
it's brown and has a nasty, burned smell to it, you've definitely got a bad
trans. if it's low, put more in and fix the leak. if it's full and looks
ok, you could still have a bad trans, though.
btw, sound systems are generally removable and transferrable when discarding a vehicle...
fluid is brownish i checked before
thought of draining it and refilling
cant go wrong with a $20 try
keep in mind that this car has quite a few miles on it
148k and then some
so the burning smell can just be somethiing that naturally happens
when i open the hood, its like every other old car
engine has leaing motor oil everywhere
WELL THE TRANSMISSION IS FIXED
I went to the mechanic and he said its either the $1000 Transmission Pressure Pump or we can try the Fluid for $5
Turns out that there was no fluid at all
For some years now
So basically in the 8 years my dad owned the car he never checked it nor added it. Runs beatifully now. Engages right on target.
I LOVE THIS GUY!!!
BEST FREAKIN MECHANIC EVER
junk It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why, thank you... :wink2:
Start saving some money, 'cause odds are you will need to rebuild the trans in the near future. :2cents:
How long have you had the car and how do you drive it? I have a 6000 LE
that my sister bought for me in 2002 for $900 and it has 207800 mileson it.
When I first got it it would cut off if I drove it too hard (hit the gas
then brake then gas then brake, etc) or if driven for long periods of time.
I cut back to driving only to school and back (about a 2 minute drive) and
to pick up my sister (another 2 minutes). After a few months it ran better
and smoother and didnt mind racing on the roads. Just try puttin 93 gas in
it once every week or so, try to keep more than half a tank in it for a few
months, and drive it easier. This also salved my problem where it would
pull at 35MPH if i tried to ride at that speed,
And as far as the service engine light, mine comes on when it's low on something (oil, trans fluid, or coolant). Try checking those or getting them changed.
Your first gear isnt engaging when it should be for problem number 2