Best Caprice

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Best Caprice

Ok, if anyone has taken a gander over to the repair section you know that i drive an 87' caprice. I really love this car. It is a smooth ride and has the potential to be a real killer. My question is what is the best year for caprices as far as style and performance go? I love this car, and I would like to see if i could pick up another but i'm not history buff when it comes to cars.

Thanks!

posted by  metalhead212

My parents owned a mid 80's caprice, it had the 307 big block, it was a nice car and had enough power to get the big car moving.

posted by  jarvisx2000

I dont know of any Chevy Caprice that was a real performance machine. But the nicest and fastest Caprices I know of were the 1994-96 Impala SS cars. They were basically just a fancy Caprice with all the little bells and whistles that the Caprice didnt have.

posted by  FordFromHell351

None, Go for the 96 Impala SS :laughing:

posted by  99integra

I like the olde Caprices, like the 68'-70' so whatever. Yours isnt a bad looking year either though.

posted by  car_crazy89

There's no such thing as a 307 big block. The smallest displacement Chevrolet big block was 348ci. in the late '50's early 60's.

posted by  Bino

I may be wrong, but I was 100% sure the engine in my buick is also a 307 big block, but I dunno I may have been mislead somewhere along the line.

posted by  jarvisx2000

Yah I did a google search and I was wrong, I am not sure why I have always thought that.

posted by  jarvisx2000

it's actually a 307 small block olds motor...

posted by  dodger65

Yeah, considering big block engines usually have big displacement, I dont know how he made that mistake. :screwy:

posted by  FordFromHell351

the weird thing is that the olds 403 is actually a small block, too. it's based on the 260, 307, 350 block... :screwy: :screwy:
(that deserves 2, i think)

posted by  dodger65

I was under the impression the size of the motor didnt matter when it come to big/small block. I thought that a 305 could be a small or big block. I dunno the more I think about it though, the more it doesn't make sense.

posted by  jarvisx2000

that's kinda correct... what makes it a big or small block is actually the block design and what the manufacturer decides they want to call a small or big block... wrap your mind around this---350 chevy=small block, 348 chevy=big block, 350 chrysler=big block, 360 chrysler=small block. (correct me if i'm wrong on the 348, i'm not sure whether the 348/409's qualify as big blocks or their own classification, i.e. ford 272/292/312 "y" block)

posted by  dodger65

well i drive an 81 caprice classic fully loaded old mans car and had huge dreams for it but after driving it for a while there is really nothing i wanna do to this car cuz i might ruin the amazing drive, it's like a caddilac to about 200 km/h might upgrade brakes has a 383 stroker and dual exhaust straight out sets all your car alarms off in the parkades :D it's a 4 door but i can fit about 4 snowboards in back seat, the trunk is about 5 dead body size :P just gunna paint it black and keep it till the doors fall off but it's almost 25 years old now and not a spot of rust, everything is mint so what else can i do to it? just drive it, ive driven alot of cars in my life and the only thing that compares to the ride is maybe a new lincoln with air ride suspension, do you have any pics of your caprice?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Here is my car. Lots of rust eating it away, one cap went flying off my car about two weeks ago. I was rolling down the highway and my girlfriend saw this disk go flying off the side of my car. She has a bit of a "gangsta" lean to her, but other than that everything is cool with the car. Interior is in great shape, just needs a tune up.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/metalhead212/car011.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/metalhead212/car010.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/metalhead212/car009.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/metalhead212/car008.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/metalhead212/car007.jpg

posted by  metalhead212

All you should do to your caprice is get rid of the hub caps, cover up the rust and put a nice set of white letter tires on your rims. You will not believe how cool that car will look. Tires make a car :2cents:

Ok so if you can have a 348 big block and a 350 small block, the small block has more displacement. So what is defining about a big block? Is it longer or wider, or is there something I am not getting?

posted by  jarvisx2000

i would say first of all nice car, i really suggest you get new springs in the back, cheap and easy to install , try the cargo coils, theyll give a bit of lift in the back, will look sweet, turn the tires the right way your not an old man are you? and find older hub caps like the fake spoke ones. but you and your girlfriend are not safe in a car with a broken spring, you may need new shocks by now too

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Two bad it's a four door =/ Not a bad looking car though. Get him painted up or waxed and he'd look a whole lot better as well.

As for the big/small block contraversy. It didn't have to do with the size of the block, it was the hp rating. A 307 can be a big block, as long as it reaches a certain hp rating. Or a 350 can be a small block if it's too low of a hp rating. It's pretty simple when you don't try to complicate it ;)

posted by  Juhosaphat

could you pass some of that crack over, please, so i can understand what you just said? :screwy: :banghead:

posted by  dodger65

Looks like someones on doobie today. :smoke: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Your Message