camaro, corvette, or firebird

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  camaro, corvette, or firebird

I am trying to decide between a '98 camaro, a '98 firebird, and a '97 corvette. What do you suggest?

posted by  MoparMan

Uhhhhh none of them :laughing:

Just kidding, I would go with the Firebird. Actually I would get a Trans Am of that same year, just make sure it will be a WS6 :drool:

posted by  FordFromHell351

yeah, i would much rather have a 305 hp v8 than a 200 hp v6. It is a ws6

posted by  MoparMan

It depends on what you want to do with it. if yo're looking primarily at drag racing, go with the Camaro or Firebird (they have the same engines, same weights, and a live axle which is good for launches). if you want to have fun in other venues, go with the Corvette.

posted by  ChrisV

WS6 Firehawk. Plus, the F-bodies will probably be cheaper on insurance than the 'vette.

posted by  Bino

alright, i would go with the camaro. reason being is the wide range of parts for it and it will be cheaper than the vette in payment and insurance. it wont take much to match the vette's performance, so i would go the cheaper route and it will be fun to have and play with. the options are endless.

posted by  frizzal

If you are looking for drag racing go for the firebird, me and my friend have raced 100's (illegally jsut on the street) and between the camaro and the firebird, firebirds put up more of a challenge no prob, but in the end they all loose to his 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT

posted by  Pythias

I hope you understand the idiocy of that statement someday :banghead:

posted by  Oomba

I'm gunna pretend I didn't hear that... ::inhales, exhales::

Ok I'm going to say this in the kindest way possible:
THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN CAR!!! :banghead: :banghead: :cussing:

posted by  TurboLag

OUCH!! :cry: They may essentially be the same underneath but looks wise they are different. IMO Camaro got ugly from 1970-1978 or so and Firebird was nice until 1979-1995.

And Moparman, i would probably have to say the Firebird only because it would be cheaper then the Corvette and is a little better looking then the Camaro.

posted by  car_crazy89

I'll give you that much. But Engine/drivetrain is exactly the same

posted by  TurboLag

Thats true. The only difference is one may say Pontiac and the other Chevy/Chevrolet.

posted by  car_crazy89

No shit sherlock but what I said was the Firebird always put up a little more of a fight then the Z28 why i don't know maybe more of those that we raced were manuals with a shift convertor, all I know is that races are usually closer when he races a firebird not a camaro

posted by  Pythias

Butm, that can't have anything to do with the car, as the chassis and drivetrain is the same back to '82 (at least before that the engine's and transmissions were different), so the point is moot in this conversation. With identical engines, transmissions, weight, and chassis, then one can't "put up more of a fight" than the other...

And a manual with a shift convertor? Automatics can have shift kits, and performance torque converters, and manuals can have different shifters, but what's a manual with a shift convertor?

posted by  ChrisV

I forget exactly what ti is called but on 6 speed firebird and camaro's you have to shift from 1st to fourth or third, retarded, but that is how they are.

posted by  Pythias

:screwy:

posted by  TurboLag

Short shifting or double clutching?

posted by  99integra

Neither, hes just stupid. :laughing:

posted by  TurboLag

I'm lost now, but it looks like i'm not the only one :screwy:

posted by  car_crazy89

It doesn't take long for Alex to get lost :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Aww damn, that doesnt help. WHo the hell is Alex? (i might feel dumb after being told) :banghead:

posted by  car_crazy89

*In a slow voice* Maybe its turbolag :laughing:

I like to use peoples real names when I get to know them :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Haha what you think is slow may seem fast to others (ME!! ME!!) :laughing: only at times though, considering the answer was obvious to who you were talking about. :tard:

posted by  car_crazy89

wow, I have never personally met you guys before and you STILL know that I have no sense of direction :laughing:, I never know where I am or where I'm going. NEVER EVER ask me for directions . Maybe I really am a simple mind.

posted by  TurboLag

Haha, i dont know what to say to that :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

I don't feel like finding info on it right now but on the 6 speeds they come stock with something where you can't shift from 1st to second you have to go from 1st to third or fourth on the firebirds and camaro's, I don
't care if you believe me or not I will find info on it when I am not tired. Its not double clutching or short shifting.

posted by  Pythias

nope, it's "skip shift"

posted by  dodger65

What's the point of it?

posted by  TurboLag

Don't you feel ignorant now.

posted by  Pythias

I dont think he ever feels ignorant, like c'mon its Turbolag :laughing: . Just kidding with you Alex :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

lol prolly right

posted by  Pythias

:smoke: None taken :laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

i believe that gm introduced it as a fuel saving measure--maybe something to meet CAFE standards... kinda like the "fuel economy gauge" gm had in the 80's... or the caddy 4-6-8, or chrysler's little light on the fender--(anyone remember that?) skip shift made it so you had to skip gears under light acceleration (i think--never had to deal w/ it--feel free to correct me here...) there does exist a bypass for it, though...

posted by  dodger65

GRRRR, You beat me to it dammit :doh: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

The "skip-shift" on 6 speed Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, and GTOs is an EPA measure. Under light throttle, between 15 and 20 mph, this annoying little feature leads the shifter directly from First gear to Fourth.

BUT, it's only under light accelleration at low speeds. Hard accelleration voids this, so the $30 skip shift eliminator kits don't change anything under hard accelleration. Only when cruising around town slowly.

Therefore the "shift convertor" he was talking about wouldn't have changed the outcome of any race, as in a performance situation the stock skip-shift doesn't come into play to START with.

posted by  ChrisV

You really don't use 1st gear also on the 93 mustang gt, I have never used it :smoke:

posted by  99integra

Thanks for clearing that up I had heard so many people talk about it, but none of them mentioned this important fact.

posted by  Pythias

to tell u the truth i would go for the firebird but get the trans am in a older year maybe like 80 81 old muscle is nicer than new muscle

posted by  MaGNuM16

corvette, no question- it will outhandle the other two and is much better looking. Camaros suck ass.

posted by  Jay-G

Just cuz you don't like it doesnt mean it sucks ass. Don't make me get ChrisV up in here

posted by  TurboLag

Okay Gay-J, the Corvette may outhandle the other cars, but based on personall preferance you can't say the Camaros suck ass. Why do the suck ass? :evil:

posted by  99integra

Have you ever driven or owned a camaro?

posted by  TurboLag

It's not that he's owned or driven one, it's just that he knows so much about sucking ass.

posted by  ChrisV

About that whole shift skip thing, it kicks in at 1500 RPM's and kicks off at 2500 RPM's, it also kicks off after about 5 seconds, nonetheless putting it on a sports car was not a bright idea...it's annoying as hell when you slip into fourth when you wanted to go into second...Incidentally, I know this because I own a '01 Trans AM WS6.

posted by  Dull Jack

Camaros were ugly from 1976-1997 :laughing:

posted by  FordFromHell351

Haha i thought that too but they are starting to grow on me, same thing with the '70's Mustangs.

posted by  car_crazy89

WOW it's not that hard just get a corvette plus that car will blow a firebird and a camaro out of the water :banghead:

posted by  mx3_monster

But as ChrisV stated we don't know if he wants to race the car or drive it.

posted by  99integra

Your Message