Mufflers

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Mufflers

I wanted to know what muffler would go really well with a four-banger. I want something that will be really loud and have a deep rumble. Something that you can hear a few blocks away. I would like something that when I going flying past people they can feel my exhaust in their chest. If anyone can help that would be great. thanks

posted by  Pwright23

So what's more important, the noise, or the ability to "go flying past people"?

posted by  windsonian

Dont get just one of those "angry bumble-bee" mufflers. If your going to do it, do it right and get a full cat-back exhaust system :screwy: HKS or Greddy would be my first impulses. But please, whatever you do, dont make your car sound all annoying and stupid like that by putting on one of those huge ass mufflers from Matrix Racing, Toucan, APC or some other off brand company. If your going to just get a muffler then go with a Borla Boomers muffler. They sound great on just about any car and they are for universal use, plus they give a 2-5% horsepower increase so youll gain a little something.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Another retard looking at mufflers for performance :doh:

posted by  99integra

The muffler only deals with the sound the engine already makes. very few 4 cyl cars can even MAKE a deep rumble (the closest is the boxer 4 on the WRX), most will make a higher piched snarl, or even that angry bee sound (go to the road races and see what 4 cylinder cars have sounded like for decades. Yes, it's that angry bee sound. Can't be helped, even the fast ones make that noise if the engine small enough).

it isn't the brand of muffler that makes a Civic sound like an angry bee, it's the engine size and rpm band itself.

If you want a deep rumble, you need to get a larger engine car.

posted by  ChrisV

Kinda like the 2.5 liter SE-R motor :hi:

posted by  99integra

Sometimes it does have that bee sound...but more so a nice growl and deep lucious tones, and thats with stock exhaust. I got Borla Turbo mufflers coming with straight piping and a Borla Boomers Spitfire muffler. It should sound really nice after I get that installed :mrgreen:

:fu: You obviously have a pea sized brain to think something that retarted!
I am not just looking for performance from a muffler dumbass. I already have the whole exhaust system with a single chamber flowmaster. but i am unhappy with how loud my car is. i want something louder. really really loud. i have already installed a header and exhause all the way back. now i just need a better muffler. is it that hard to get an answer in this place?

posted by  Pwright23

Okay but ya didn't say that you had all those things on it. Try to get your info straight before ya start flamin :banghead: Get a Greddy muffler

posted by  99integra

so which would be better a borla boomer or a greedy muffler? i have heard both from everyone.

posted by  Pwright23

Borla Boomers.

if you just want loud go greedy. it will be loud and sound as close to what you want as you are going to get. keep it at a higher rpm and you will have loud. if you want deeper go magna flow. the chambers are kind of like the flowmaster but it louder.

posted by  frizzal

::Sniffs:: Does anyone else smell rice?

posted by  TurboLag

Smells like white rice to me :hi:

posted by  99integra

It's guys like me that hunt the streets for guys like you on friday and saturday nights...

I've heard a flowmaster 40 series on an early '90's CRX with a 2.25" system, no cat and headers...it was loud as hell and had a load of bass at lower RPM's....it sounds like nothing will satisfy your Ricer determination to be as LOUD and OBNOXIOUS as possible, so I'll give you a little tip...take your exhaust system from the header back and throw it in the trash if you really want to be loud...apparently being loud is more important than performance for you.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

How about instead of asking everyone what they think you should get, get up off your ass and research it yourself and pick the one most appealing to you, be it performance or sound.

posted by  TurboLag

It all depends on your displacement of your engine. A 2.0L of even a 2.2L engine give that "trademark" bumble bee sound, but my 2.4L sounds more like a 6-cylinder because its displacement is closer to that of a 6-cylinder. If your car can take a pre-fabed cat-back go with that but if not make your own using 2.75" tubing and a muffler of your choice.

posted by  GrandAmFreak

which greddy muffler should i look at getting? there are alot to choose from

posted by  Pwright23

HEY! If you want to have an annoyingly loud exhaust, go OPEN HEADERS! Open headers baby! :hi:

Of course, that's really only kewl with 300+ cu engines! :thumbs:

posted by  try2playJAY

Well what kind of car is it is it was say a evo8 or sti i would go with a n1 pipe turbo or n/a but it depends what i would do is buy just the tip and have company custome make the pipng for you so you can pick how big you want it to be. That's what i did it cost me $330 thats including labor but i also got a hi-flow cat but without the hi-flow i think it was only like 175.

posted by  mx3_monster

Good job on regurgitating what I already posted. :banghead:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

i hate the guys that want looks more than performance

posted by  Mx3Kid

Your Message