Yank tanks...

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Yank tanks...

... no offence to all you americans but over here, 'across the pond' we see your cars as large, uneconomic, boring barges that cant take any corners...i just thought i would tell you that...because to me it seems true!

posted by  Flying_Dane

and were in the hell are you from? :fu:

posted by  Morphias87

No offense taken but... While that may be true for the general public, when I lived in Europe I had an extremely profitable business importing and selling American cars to the locals. And just so you know most Americans see most European cars as slow, ugly, failure prone junk. That's why Euro cars only make up a tiny percentage of US auto sales.

posted by  vwhobo

I do agree with VWhobo but I think that is just a bad stereotype. There are American cars that handle very well (i.e. Camaro, Corvette, Firebird, Beretta, Mustang, Viper, Grand National, Grand Prix, Grand Am, etc.)

posted by  Satty101

and then theres the smaller cars Americans have produced. like the neon.

posted by  SuperJew

PLEASE,,,, enlighten us as to what England has to offer us. I want a vehicle that can transport more than two persons and a fart. As far as the cornering issue goes, if it was really an issue, that comes with experience. Now let us talk about Princess DI :screwy:

posted by  lectroid

I would like to retract any reference to princess DI. Poor taste on my part :oops:

posted by  lectroid

What about this?

Q. What was Princess Di's favourite cocktail?
A. A wallbanger followed by a couple of chasers.

Q. What did Princess Di reply when the desk clerk at the Ritz asked
if she wanted a room for the night?
A. "No, I'm gonna crash with my boyfriend."

Q. What's the difference between Diana and Tiger Woods?
A. Tiger has a good driver.

Q. What do you give the princess who has everything?
A. A seatbelt and an airbag.

posted by  vwhobo

:clap: :clap: :clap: :laughing: :laughing: What a pretty slut she was :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

Couldn't let it go, could you ????? Neither could I ! How much snow did she have up her nose? What about that UGLY BITCH Charles is hooked up with now? God save the Queen :screwy: Where am I going with this :rolleyes: Oh,I remember/ what can the other side of the POND have to offer????

posted by  lectroid

lectroid wrote: -
"What a pretty slut she was
Couldn't let it go, could you ????? Neither could I ! How much snow did she have up her nose?"

At least vwhobo’s jokes were witty. There’s no need for you to make comments like that about Diana. I’m not a royalist or anything but Diana really doesn’t deserve that kind of disrespect. It seems that Flying Dame has brought out the worst in you as a CF member but although he did provoke this sort of tone in this topic, your posts are still an overreaction to his basis for a discussion.

I think you’ll find that a Jaguar X-Type (yes I know that it has ford underpinnings) is quite a good car but that’s about as modest as modern British cars get.

posted by  snoopewite

Sorry who's We. im from Uk and think the total opposite of what you think.

posted by  Porsche Fan

Firstly i am not from britan, and i was not only speaking of british, or indeed european cars but also japanese ones. i hate to say it but i have a chrysler voyager and its built like a matchstick house, it take 15mins for the heating to work, the styling is debatable, the V6 engine is unrefined, it does less miles to the gallon than an oil tanker and it keeps getting major faults. However i also own a Volvo V70 and it has been driven hard for 3 years has been battered by small children and has not had one major fault to speak of, none at all, and it still does all this while being fast, well designed, safe and frugal. and yes i am aware of these 'sports cars' but sticking an overly large engine in a heavy car with no suspension is not a sports car, but a car that is cheap and handles well as well as being fast is not something american i can see, take the Mazda RX8 or the Mini Cooper S works, both around 20,000 pound and they drive like dreams and are handsome and you will save 70,000 pounds on a viper, to spend on better things.

...and by the way the Neon was crap :D

posted by  Flying_Dane

Where exactly is "britan"? :screwy:

And secondly...the heat works off the engines heat...it takes a few minutes. Did you know about the American car problem when you bought the matchstick, or did you enjoy the frugal price initially? :guns: Flying_Dane

posted by  BavarianWheels

ok then...britan is England...

...we only bought the chrysler because it was the biggest MPV we could get that didnt look like a van. and on a cold morning we start the car a 7:50 get in at 8 and then drive for 10 mins, and it is ****ing freezing even with the heat on full, also the seat heaters burn your ass and your lower back and dont heat anywhere else...not much good! and WTF? is a frugal price? frugal means its economical!

...however some of the newer american cars which are just in concept stage at the moment look amazing...but for now i will stay away from american cars despite your arguments!

posted by  Flying_Dane

A more economical price when comparing to other imports...

FYI...I don't buy American for reasons including your complaints.

I'd have to :banghead: if I did.

so you bought a vehicle on looks only, then decided you didn't like how it worked?
that's a BRILLIANT idea!!!!!
i need to do that with my next vehicle

how cold is cold?
it's been below 30 during the days for the past few weeks, it takes my truck 10 minutes of HEAVY DRIVING before it starts to warm, just letting it idle? ha! that'd be a joke, i'd get to work and immediately turn around and say "hey, i'm goin to lunch"
so, how cold are these cold mornings?

posted by  asa67_stang

There may be something to your opinion, but if you want to "cross the pond" you'd do well to use a "boring barge" like this. You'll never see a European car being used for this!
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040204/s/r1657632891.jpg

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040204/wl_nm/cuba_car_d c_2

posted by  vwhobo

TRUE GRIT!

posted by  lectroid

actually the dutton mariner, :P and the Gibbs Aquada are both amphibious and are both from europe :D

posted by  Flying_Dane

And you wonder why Europeans have a reputation for no sense of humor.

posted by  vwhobo

Im from Wisconsin. Home of the amphibious Duck!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! :sleep:

posted by  Satty101

Dutton Mariner= Ford Fiesta
Gibbs Aquada = $225,000

I'll go with the Buick :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

Snoop, you talk to me about disrespect???? Look at your freaking signature pic. Get a GRIP bloak :screwy:

posted by  lectroid

lectroid, you can’t compare George Bush to Lady Diana. If I could have got a picture like that of that other war-mongering puppet Tony Blair then I would have used that for my signature picture instead. It’s political satire, which can’t be compared to you attacking an innocent woman just because you assumed that she came from the same place as someone who said that they had a poor impression of American cars.

posted by  snoopewite

War mongering puppet? :laughing: :laughing: LONG LIVE SADDAM and God save the Queen ( for whatever she's worth) :clap:

posted by  lectroid

:2cents: Lectroid, Saddam Hussein should never have been released after the Gulf war! George Bush and Tony Blair were right to remove Saddam Hussein from power last year but they’ve now left Iraq in a mess with no official government and more terrorists out there. Saddam was someone to take it out on after they failed to find Osama Bin Laden. Again, the Taliban were someone to retaliate against because Bush couldn’t do anything else once the September 11th attack had happened. Some of the main things that Bush and Blair have managed to achieve through these wars are destruction, civilian deaths and casualties (also the deaths and casualties of American and British soldiers) and large amounts of money disposed of at the taxpayer’s expense. No matter how many Al-Kaeda got killed, there’ll still be plenty more terrorists left to carry out more attacks if they wish to do so.
As for the line, “God save the Queen”, I also think that it's :screwy: I already said that I’m not a royalist :banghead:
Those are some of my views and there are many more points that I could make but after all, this topic was meant to be a discussion about American cars and not war.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to say that I’m flattered that you’ve dedicated your signature pictures to me. To have someone go to such lengths as to add pictures to their signature for my sake is a real honour :fu:
Since you seem to like photo-shopped pictures of famous people taking drugs, I’ve sent some more as attachments below to show my appreciation. I figured that you could always add the picture of Prince Harry to your signature to form a decent collection of English Royal Family members. You’d have one member from each of the three generations then :finger:

posted by  snoopewite

it's war you 'tard
shit happens

do you think they drop rubber bombs that bounce around humorously and don't hurt anyone or destroy any buildings?
no, they drop laser-guided bombs directly on targets that are actually targets (as opposed to wars like Viet Nam where they practiced such wonderous tactics as "carpet bombing" and "Operation Ranch Hand" where Agent Orange was sprayed indiscriminately)
if there was a bomb dropped, there was a reason for it, and there was only a certain amount of damage done
i dare you to compile the data and compare this war against any other war in the past century that the US has participated in, lord knows we've saved Europe enough
the civilian deaths will be less
the amount of destruction will be less
the casualties are most definetly less
tax payers money? that's iffy at best, but that's going to be the only one increased negatively, how much would you pay to better someone's life? a whole country's life? we aren't done, and we won't ever be if we aren't allowed to finish, there are still parts of Europe recovering from WWII

civilian deaths? shit...
when military members hide out in protected buildings, that building almost always loses it's protection, and those buildings get bombed
this is a provision of many various war protocols, so who caused those civilian deaths? the soldiers that canceled out the protection, or the soldiers dropping the bombs?

what about what the military is doing to help the iraqi people? you don't hear about that because you only get the news
i get to talk to people who are actually there, or who have been there in the past few months
some of the stories i've heard, some of the lives that have been changed for the better
yes, there was a point to this war

posted by  asa67_stang

who feels the government (yes both USA and UK) lied to us about the "WMDs" in Iraq. I for one find it odd that Bush keeps talking about weapons of mass destruction that Iraq posesses and yet when we, unnecessarily, might i add, invade Iraq nothing of the sort is found? ok so maybe there were trucks that had the capability to produce toxins, but were they being used? also, maybe Clinton destroyed all Iraq had in his 1998 surgical attack on suspected chemical sites. maybe there were no WMDs at all in the first place!

and my stance on the whole war is that it was a whole load of bullshit. I don't see how we couldn't have just sent in groups of commandos to take out the high government officials (Saddam Hussein, etc.) a long time ago, when we knew where Hussein was. this whole "were gonna bulldoze the whole country, and then make a new government" war is a crock of shit in my opinion. Bush should be voted out of office this coming November.

:fu: Bush

posted by  SuperJew

Do you mean to insinuate it being the first time? Hardly!! You are lied to daily by the government and the press. Don't ever forget that. :banghead:

no i know weve been lied to all the time just about the WMDs....mainly because it started the stupid war, and that angers me.

posted by  SuperJew

It's not the first time lies have led to a war. And it wont be the last.

oh, how sad our society is. i'm almost implored to want to move to Europe later in life just to get away from all this bullshit.

posted by  SuperJew

Anytime it crosses your mind, even for a nanosecond, that you would be better off living somewhere else, ask yourself this question. If it's so much better over there (wherever there may be), why are so many people trying to get into the USA? The reason is that while our society isn't perfect, overall this is the best thing going. In many places your statement above would get you in trouble with the thought police.

As for your ideas about the war, answer these questions for me. Do you really think the world would be a better place if Saddam Hussien was still in power? Is it okay that he was responsible for the killing of thousands of his own country people? Is it okay that he was responsible for the toture and rape of who knows how many women and children? If Iraqi society was so good, why didn't your family move there? This is in no way a reflection of the vast majority of Iraqi people. Most Iraqis are just like most Americans (or most anybody elses for that matter), they just want to work, be a productive member of society and provide a better life for their family.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do about our country, but I fully support your right to voice your opinion no matter how misguided it may be.

posted by  vwhobo

my thoughts exactly.. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

saved europe! you think you saved europe! what a load of bull shit! wow you really saved us, maybe in the way of suppying food rations but the germans aborted their attempt to invade the UK and the Russians would have come from the east anyway!

posted by  Flying_Dane

Not for 1 minute do I believe you are Danish. You are without a doubt a French/man/woman, OR have no clue of history. You poor devil. How many Danes are buried in France, due to the world wars,1,11,? YEP, SAVED EUROPE TWICE :screwy: You uninformed piece of crap :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  lectroid

Lectroid, it makes me hot when you talk like that.:cussing::clap:

posted by  vwhobo

ever heard of the Marshall Plan?

posted by  SuperJew

JUNE 5, 1947. What,s your point? MARSHALL PLAN= WE WILL KICK THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!!!!! THEN WE WILL REBUILD YOUR COUNTRY. EVERY DIME BEING PAID BY THE TAX-PAYERS THAT KICKED THE SHIT OUT OF YOU FOR YOUR IMMORAL DEALINGS WITH YOUR OWN COUNTRY-MEN AND NEIGHBORS :ticking:

posted by  lectroid

no it helped rebuild Europe to what it is today....i take it you haven't looked at a history book lately

posted by  SuperJew

ok,oK, Transatlantic agreement, everyone helps each other, BUT the USA pays the bills :cussing:

posted by  lectroid

yeah....its a bitch being the wealthiest country around...

posted by  SuperJew

No. It is not about being the wealthiest country, it's about compassion and doing what is right for your fellow man. I'm REALLY concerned as to what our young people are getting shoved down their throats in the educational system today??? IT's STARTING TO SHOW :cry:

posted by  lectroid

Forgot one point, I'm just a stupid hillbilly. We send our sons and daughters off to war just to watch them die, That way we can keep the population down. We don't give a crap about the rest of the world (guess it shows... don't it)? By the way,,, please don't forget 9/11 :sleep:

posted by  lectroid

Okay, I’ve got something to ask about American cars so I thought that it would be appropriate to ask it in this thread. I can also kill two birds with one stone (or one post) because this thread is still a loose end to me anyway. First of all I’ll give my :2cents: again on what people have had to say about the war on Iraq and then I’ll get back to the subject of “Yank tanks”. That’s as in American civilian cars and not the likes of the Sherman and Abrams :laughing: Just a little joke to lighten the mood :roll:

Although having the eloquence of a drunkard choking on his own vomit, you made some good factual points. I’m aware that what I did was sum up war in general but it gets me angry to think that the war on Iraq could have been avoided if we had taken a criminal like Saddam Hussein out of power after the Gulf War. Although it was like you were trying to argue with me, I agree with everything that you said... except the name-calling. You made the stunningly obvious point that “we aren’t done, and we won’t ever be if we aren’t allowed to finish” - I’m starting to ‘sound like a broken record' when I say if Saddam Hussein hadn’t been allowed to stay in power after the Gulf War then it would have been finished years ago.
What I was saying in the post that started this argument was, I believe that Bush and Blair decided to start a war with Saddam Hussein because they’d literally been on the warpath since the September 11th attack 2001.

There it is above for you :thumbs: Now you can go back to sleep :fu:

SuperJew said it himself that the apparent WMDs were a made-up excuse and I got the feeling that BavarianWheels agreed with him. I never said that there wasn’t a point to this war. Actually in England on the news, they showed the coalition troops with the Iraqi people and when I said that Bush and Blair left Iraq in a mess with no official replacement government on standby, I didn’t mean that the coalition troops had left the country. I respect what both of our troops are doing but I think that we all agree that even without the Marshall Plan it would have been wrong for Bush and Blair not to help out the Iraqis after the destruction.

Back to the original topic, do all American cars have red rear indicators? Is it just the rear indicators that aren’t amber? Is it not enough that the rear lights and brake lights are red? Surely it makes more sense for the rear indicators to be something other than red. I doubt that all American cars do have red rear indicators but I’d appreciate it if someone could tell me what the deal is.

posted by  snoopewite

No. Some have amber turn indicators and some have red. Unlike Europe and most of the rest of the world the US, for whatever reason, seems to think red is okay. Most places it's amber is the law, not here. My personal opinion is that it's just "that's how we've always done it so it's good enough".

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks for replying to my question vwhobo.

posted by  snoopewite

No England is in Britain as is Wales Scotland and Northern Irland, as for the subject I think American cars are getting better these days, also, just though i'd ask as snoopewite asked about lights..Is it the law for your cars to have reverse lights? because it isn't here..stupid question? maybe, but it's just bugging me

posted by  Cliffy

Problem is people don't realize the press and goverment lie to you. You have no clue as to what really went on with Iraq and the real reason we went to war. And someone posted "they has trucks that were able to produce toxins but they werent using them" Look, you don't wait until something happens to come up with a solution. Don't forget perl harbor. 9/11 was a whole lot more deaths than that. Like Bush said, this country will not be intimidated by a bunch of rag heads. When theres a time to fight you have to fight. If not, you won't have a country very long. There will be a lot of deaths in the war and people seem to make a huge deal of it. Don't tell me you can fight a "war" with no bloodshed. Come on, who are you trying to kid around with.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I think it is safe to say that every country has dark secrets and made terrible, senseless, and stupid mistakes in the past and present.

Having said that, the US is still the best place to live because of guaranteed freedoms, high standard of living, strong and stable dollar, and cultural diversity and acceptance. All this is quite clear to an immigrant.

Having said THAT, id still say Americans are the most ignorant (with the positive connotations) people in the world.

posted by  importluva

actually ive read because of our Strong and stable dollar, thats one of ther reason gas prices have gone up.

posted by  Arthur

Whether that is true or not, and I highly doubt it, in the US we still have among the cheapest gas prices in the world. So instead of complaining about how much it costs (not saying you specifically did but alot of people do) we should enjoy the fact that that it's so affordable.

posted by  vwhobo

yeah...although i just did a conversion and 1 US dollar = about 2 pounds...

can someone make sense out of that for me? does that mean the USD is strong? :banghead:

posted by  SuperJew

Well that's hard to say based on just that. Compared to when I lived in England the dollar is weak. At that time the exchange rate was in the area of $1.60-1.80 = 1 pound. Currency rates fluctuate worldwide so it's hard to make the balnket statement 'the dollar is strong'. Right now it's somewhat weak against the euro and strong against the yen. See what I mean?

By the way, your conversion is bakwards. Right now the $ vs pound is around 2:1.

posted by  vwhobo

god damn theres my dyslexia rearing its head.. :oops:

can you tell why im not going to be an accountant? :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

hey, i just signed on to ask a question about putting a supercharger on my tight-handling american sportscar, not to refight the revolutionary war...oops! we already won that one! oh well. as for the brit cars, you know what they say, the english drink warm beer because they have Lucas refrigirators....

posted by  asdz28

wait - what brought you in to this? :screwy:

posted by  SuperJew

You typed "as for the brit cars" (obviously you're not familiar with that key that says "Caps Lock" on it or the one with the arrow pointing upwards underneath it) and then changed the subject to refrigerators :doh:

posted by  snoopewite

The manners of some people are appauling :banghead: :mrgreen:

posted by  Cliffy

To think that the English are meant to be the epitome of having good manners :mrgreen:

posted by  snoopewite

Nope the dollar has never been worth more than the pound. Last I checked the norm was around 1 pound = about $1.50 +/- 20c

I ain't joining the name calling or war debates but somone defined England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland as 'Britain' also incorrect.

Britain and the British Isles are Geographic entities. with the Island containing England, Scotland & Wales being 'Great Britain' The political entities (man made boundaries) are The Irish republic - Independant nation state and 'United Kingdom' of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and various othe small islands beloning to those various countries. - UK.

Incidentally the Island named Ireland is one of the British Isles meaning it's in that Geographic group of islands which is not a political entity nor defines what government controls what part of it.

Oh and Europe is a largish island to the North-East of Britain :wink2:

posted by  HighWayMan

It's all the same place... :wink2:

Yep surrounding the factory where they make the Bristol! Now there's a car!! :drool:

posted by  HighWayMan

LOL...Belive me, the world does not evolve round Bristol :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/index2.htm

Just read the specs - lol

posted by  HighWayMan

I already know the specs...I just have no time for British cars lol :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

HI GUYS

http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/72131/handcoffin.gif

Thought this thread was dead. :mrgreen:

posted by  lectroid

lol...It was dead....it came back to haunt YOU Lectroid :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Not afraid of a little ghost or the big bad wolf. :laughing: Need to find the Snoope and drag him back into this one.

posted by  lectroid

Yes, the snoop must be around here somewhere! :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Well he's disappeared before and came back... i'm sure he'll be back again soon :thumbs:

posted by  Bubba

Since when have Grand Nationals, Vipers, Camaros, and any Mustang up until the new Cobra been good handling cars?! Heck, vettes up until '97 didn't even handle all that great. These cars suffer from moderate understeer and the FWD american cars listed are even worse! Yes these cars do handle decently for the average "Joe" driver, but try to make an emergency lane change on the highway in a GNX, Camaro or Mustang and your risking your life. All I can say is that Euro high line cars will out handle most American cars any day of the week(with a few exceptions). BUT, the American driving heritage was based on big ballsy gas guzzlers that were built for pure straight line performance. I am a firm believer in that heritage...I don't ask for the best handling, best braking, best all around performance car. All I car about is going fast and getting there fast, give me a mediocre suspension and brakes and I'll be fine...just gotta know the cars limits.

-Don

posted by  Sick88Tbird

All it takes is one dummy to get it fired up.

posted by  vwhobo

Damn Hobo, whats with you and the old threads? lol :doh:

posted by  car_crazy89

that's what he's talking about-- firing up old threads... :wink2: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

So um.....anybody seen snoope then? :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message