I'd like to know

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  I'd like to know

I'd like to know if a 326 out of a 67 lemans will fit into the engine compartment of a 65 mustang? Oh and how much do you think i would have to do to make it happen? See I have a friend who has a rebuilt 326 in a shit bag lemans (its beond restoration or i would go for that :ohcrap: ) and he got a 65 mustang with the 302 in it. The 302 however, needs more work than what we really want to do. So he wants to put the 326 in it. So any help would be much appreiated. Thanks. :thumbs:

posted by  frizzal

it would probably be less work to sell the 326 to a pontiac guy and buy a 302 w/ the proceeds...

posted by  dodger65

Well, it would ruin the value of the car, but it would be somewhat easy to do. I dont see why you would do it but, best of luck!

posted by  FordFromHell351

i figure it would just be some modification to the engine mounts and some grunting and pushin. so if you have any tips that would be great.

posted by  frizzal

I would expect it to be fairly easy. May have to widen the firewall

posted by  99integra

see i thought about that too. and i dont see why i couldnt just cut the firewall and put a deeper push in it. but that would be the only thing i think. the engine compartment looks like it should fit width wise but the headers give me some worry. so i think the wheel wells are going to have to be beaten out some too.

posted by  frizzal

The thing is why not just put a 302 in it or a 351? :hi:

posted by  99integra

well the thing is we dont have another 302 and dont have the money to rebuild it or buy a 351. but we do have a 326 so i figure go for it. i just hope its not going to be as much work as the lemans was that we started and never could finish. lack of time and money.

posted by  frizzal

It is a hard thing to do, I would sell the 326 and use the money to rebuilt the 302. Don't even try the 326 :2cents:

posted by  99integra

my thoughts exactly :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

now see the problem with that is the fact that its really hard to find a buyer of such a engine in the conservative place such as Washington state. i couldnt find anyone to purchase the 326 so we figured it should be put to good use. the mustang is a perfect car for the power out put of the 326. light and nimble.

posted by  frizzal

Your Message