The Junkyard Treasure

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  The Junkyard Treasure

So, yesterday I was in the junkyard picking up a waterpump for my mothers 1988 Dodge Shadow that Im selling for her. The guy at the desk told me that it would take a while, so I went outside to wander around and look at all the cars. I was looking at this old Edsel, when I noticed the car sitting right behind it as I was looking through the windsheild of the Edsel. It looked like a regular run of the mill Challenger, its white, and as I went closer to it, I saw the two hood scoops. And when I looked at the side of the hood scoop, it read 426 Hemi. I was completely stunned. As I walked around the car, I noticed that all 4 of the wheel wells, as well as the bottom of the car all the way around, was almost completely eaten away by rust. I looked popped the hood and saw that it was missing the intake and carb, as well as the headers, and the rest of the exhaust system. I shut the hood and went around to the drivers side to pop the trunk. I went around back and all of the parts, with the exception of the exhaust piping and mufflers were in there. However, some dumbass has welded to carb. to the intake :screwy:

I went up to the guy at the counter to go pickup my waterpump, and asked him what he wanted for the old Challenger back there as a whole. He said $3,545. Its got all the wheels and tires with it, and they all hold air. It also has all of its emblems, except for the trunk R/T emblem.

This is THE best thing I have EVER come across. Im selling my Mustang just to go and buy it. :mrgreen: I just thought I would let you guys know. Im still in shock about it. Ive wanted one of these cars since I was a kid. My uncle had a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, except it wasnt a 426, but a 383. The 426 just sweetens the deal. Ive never done a restoration on a MoPar before, so I might need some help on where to find these parts from all you Dodge guys out there. Ill be picking it up in a week or so. :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

what cloor is the dodge charger

posted by  google.com

Challenger, its white.

Nice find dude!
Lots of people condemn Junk yards, not that I can blame them! But I've seen some perfect resto-mod projects sittin there a couple fo times! My neighbor even got his mid-seventies Camaro from a Junk yard! I'd definatley get that Challenger. Sounds like it needs some work, but it is well worth it!

posted by  try2playJAY

oh dear god you are one lucky man.

you might want to get in touch with dodgerida67, who's currently doing that resto project :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

Awesome car man. What are you selling your 'stang for? Good luck with the Challenger. :thumbs: :thumbs:

posted by  abless

Im going to be asking somewhere around $17,000 for my Mustang. That should cover all that I have put into it, what the car is worth stock, and give me some cash to start on this project. :mrgreen:

In your sig it looks like a 90-93 LX, how much shit did you put into it to sell it for that much?

posted by  99integra

Does anyone know what kind of tires the car came with originally? Right now its got Goodyears on it. They look somewhat aged.

For the Mustang or the Challenger :drool:

posted by  99integra

Its a 84 LX. Started out life as a V6. I bought a engine from Ford Racing, went through it, bored it out, and re-did the whole engine how I wanted it. Internals, intake, carb. etc. Not to mention the roll cage, new rear end and gears, racing seats, exhaust system, stereo, put in a fuel cell, my suspension work, etc. I probably have $13,000 in parts wrapped up in it. I think I know who I might sell it to. If he dosent want it, then Ill take it out to the track this weekend and race it with for sale signs in its windows.

For the challenger Challenger.

Damn I was way off :doh: . Nice car

posted by  99integra

Why not put cragars on it and wrap it with a tire that will handle better?

posted by  99integra

Because its got the original steel rims on it :mrgreen: and the Goodyears on it that look to be original. I just need to see if Goodyear makes reproductions of that tire thats on there right now.

http://www.4wheelz.net/virtual/carz/dodge/challenger/1970_dodge_challenger. jpg

The rims that are on this car are the ones that are on mine. The tires look similar too.

I see what you're doing now, trying to make it look like it came from the factory. You can have anything done through special ordering, how good is the condition of the rims, take some pictures

posted by  99integra

Yeah, I want to keep it original, because right now, it looks exactly like the car from the movie The Vanishing Point. Minus the rust and oxidized paint of course :laughing: Ill have to borrow my friend digital camera and take some pics. My was dropped on the concrete by my 14 year old nephew :banghead:

I thought he was doing a Coronet project with a 383 V8? Or did he start another one?

congratulations, and welcome back from the "dark side" :laughing:

i'm sure they make repro goodyear polyglas tires (that is what it came w/), nobody wants to piss off the e-body crowd... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

The only thing Im not looking foward to is re-setting the carb all the time :laughing: Im gonna have to buy a repro. one though, because some dumbass welded the old n to the intake :banghead: :screwy:

First off, I hate you. Second, you're my new best friend.

Are you sure it has a Hemi? I'm feeling theres a 95% chance it's not numbers matching. I'd almost bet my life on it. But, I wouldnt care - and neither should you, that is, unless you were going to sell it. Yeah, I didnt think so.

That'd definately be me. You'd better do this right - I'll have to kick your butt if you don't. :wink: I'm talking full tear down and resto - like mine (go check it out to see how much fun you're going to be having). If you don't have the money, wait until you do - or sell it to someone who does like me. I'll do it up real nice. :mrgreen: I can imagine it now, both beautiful babies in my shop. It's just worth it to do it 100% the best it can be done, trust me, I've been there, done that, had 'em both ways.

Get pictures of it as soon as you get it... TONS. You'll have your very own project thread in no time. If you need anything just PM me...

posted by  DodgeRida67

if it's a hemi, it should have 2 carbs... and if you set it up right, you really don't have to mess w/ the carb. i haven't had to touch mine in a long time, and it's a holley (you'll have carters)

posted by  dodger65

Not true.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Ever run it on a dyno? What's your quarter?

posted by  abless

ok, i'll bite. what's not true, and why?

posted by  dodger65

yes it is a coronet, but i'm sure he can tell you where to find parts and give you tips to make your life easier :thumbs:

posted by  dodgerforlife

Its making 697hp @ 6200rpm and 754ft.lbs of torque @ 5400rpm. It runs a 10.37 @ 112mph.

What is the rear end on it?

posted by  99integra

Ford 9" with 4.11 Richmond gears.

Believe me, Ill be doing this RIGHT. Frame up restoration. Im thinking its the original engine. Its got the 9.75" Dana 60 and its a 4 speed.

Thanks for offering to help on this. Im really going to need it. After I get this done (which will probably take 3 years :laughing: ) I think Im going to invest in a heated and cooled garage :mrgreen: I think I might sell it...but only after I have some fun with it for a year or so. Then maybe Ill try to find a 1968 Barracuda Super Stock :hi: :drool: How much would this type of Challenger with all its original equipment go for restored?

Heres the weird part about this whole deal. The guy at the front desk said that it has been sitting there since 1976. He said when it came in, that there was a indentical one that came in with it. Then it got smashed by a car that fell on top of it, so they crushed it. :banghead:

Damn. :clap:

What's the displacement? It's N/A, right? That's incredible. Ever dragged bikes?

posted by  abless

You lucky bastard, absolutely beautiful cars. Those i think would just be the stock Rally wheels that also came on Darts and other various Dodges of that time.

posted by  car_crazy89

Frame up resto huh... Unibody buddy. :mrgreen:
That rear end is worth around a grand. The Hemi is worth a few grand. The 4 speed is worth ATLEAST $500 being an 18 spline. The car itself is worth more than you're buying everything for. You should feel like a thief, because you're stealing this one.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I need pictars

posted by  Oomba

Its a 351W bored .30 over, so that makes it a 355W :laughing: Yes it is N/A. I was going to put on one of these turbo kits that either 88Tbird, or thunderbird was telling me about, and convert it to fuel injection.

Do you mean have I ever drag raced a bike in my Mustang, or have I ever raced one that Ive built?

Well, Ive raced a couple of the newer Kawasaki Ninjas out at the track and on the street and it beats them, or at least stays with them. I have also driven one of my friends, but have never built one myself.

I know, Im going to them ASAP. :mrgreen:

Yes, I meant have you ever drag raced a motorcycle in your Mustang. That's pretty impressive to keep up with a bike.

posted by  abless

still waiting... :mrgreen:

posted by  dodger65

How did I miss this post?! Man, that challenger's gotta be stolen from the looks of that price :laughing: . Killer find :thumbs: !!!

posted by  TurboLag

Stolen? Its in a junkyard lol. I love that car, and your idea for it (Vanishing Point) what a good movie (until the end :cry: same with 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry' and the Charger). you DEFINATELY need pics :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

Hey about the two carbs im pretty sure your right. They came with two four barrels.

posted by  Enthusiast

Great find, hope its all matching #'s.
BTW have you seen what those cars go for at a Barret/Jackson auction?!
Kills my chance of having a nice Mopar musclecar :ohcrap:

posted by  Pinstriper38

hey man that is a kick ass find :clap: . good job there guy :thumbs: ! and if you have any body work questions i can help a bit. oh, and good luck with that whole selling the stang thing. i would however like to see the progress of it. so please by all means post pics.

posted by  frizzal

Your Message