Help with an '89 Cavalier

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Help with an '89 Cavalier

I own one of the old school Cavys, or commonly referred to as "the box" by people I know. With Summer here I finally have some extra spending money to put into my car, and I wanted to ask for some suggestions here. I don't really know a whole lot about cars, I just know I want some relatively low costing ways to add a few horsepower. I'm content with the appearance of my car right now, I just want some help on how to improve the performance. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to it?

posted by  Tsquared

How much money do you have to spend and what we're you thinking of doing/

posted by  99integra

*At least* $1500 from work, but I'm also going to try buying and reselling cars from the auction and if that works I should have a least another $2000 to spend. I have a friend already helping me with intake, and I want to do something with my exhaust as well. Transmission's also a possibility, as mine's somewhat warn as it is and I have an excuse to replace it.

posted by  Tsquared

have you thought of a turbocharger, cold air intake, header(s), camshaft?

posted by  99integra

I haven't thought much about those, I'll have to look into them for my car and what the costs would be. Thanks for the suggestions.

posted by  Tsquared

Turbo and cams are alil advanced for somone that doesnt kno a whole lot about cars, i would go with cold air intake and exhaust for now.

posted by  Mx3Kid

Unless he has some buddies that know how to do it :2cents:

posted by  99integra

i was thinkin update yer fuel system to go with your intake(fuelpump,injectors,fuel rail)

posted by  Mx3Kid

Unless he wants to see some actual performance increase.

posted by  Oomba

Did u read that he doesnt really kno much about cars? :banghead: how is he gonna put a turbo and cams on his car if he barely knows about it?

posted by  Mx3Kid

What would be the point of even putting on a CAI and exhaust system? The performance increase they give is not worth the effort. Not too mention, he'd look like every ricer out there thinking that CAI and exhaust system is needed to smoke a V8.

posted by  Oomba

man i am not gonna argue with you, the point of him doing that is that it is easy stuff than anyone can do, remember he knows barely anything about cars so its outa his league to pull the engine and do heavy work on it. maybe u should stop thinkin about what u think he should do and what he can do. and who cares if he looks like a ricer, its not u, its not yer car. even tho i strongly dont like ricers

posted by  Mx3Kid

Your Message