Is the firebird legacy gone?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Is the firebird legacy gone?

I was just wondering if any of you people out there knew if the Firebird was going to be continued in the near future. I've seen some prototype and concept pics of the plans for the camaro, (is it in production for 07 or what?)...but how about the bird?I mean, I like the new, yet vintage look of the stang', but how bout some GM muscle?

posted by  NoahT

It will probably depends on what GM plans for the Pontiac brand to represent.

GM is looking at realigning their brands and cutting out some of the duplicate models. They may not see the need for both a Firebird and a Camaro.

Anybody else hear anything?

posted by  theman352001

I was wondering the same thing myself for awhile, my friend Jacobs' dad owns a GM/ Pontiac/Chevvy dealership and right now the camaro is planned for 2007 but so far he hasn't heard anything about the firebird. Hopefully they come out with it sometime in the near future because Pontiac having most of its cars looking about the same (Pontiac Grand Am Grand AM GT Grand Prix Grand Prix GT G6 Bonneville and GTO) look all about the same car and its pretty bland to me, but that's jsut my personal opinion

posted by  Pythias

yeah i feel the same way about most of the pontiacs. the GTO looks like a beefy grand am.....not that i wouldnt drive one, i would just like to see something different. change is good.

posted by  NoahT

Call it an ignorant comment but personally I'll take my 1994 V6 Firebird over a GTO, not because of price or insurance, because the GTO is personally not appealing to me at all, and where i live I'm the only one with a firebird for a little while, mostly mustang's around here.

posted by  Pythias

Wow, you and I have nothing in common.

posted by  Bino

point being :ticking:

posted by  Pythias

It is coming out in 2007... possibly with 3 different formats.... also possibly the three formats may all be V8s. That is heresay of course. As far as a Firebird goes... Firebird sales have always been based on Camaro sales, thusly if the new Camaro does well then they will probably bring back the Firebird as well, however if GM does not bring the Camaro back well and its sales are poor odds are there will be no new Firebird, and GM may very well not hold its head above water long after that the way it is doing these days.

posted by  Flame Roller

Your car is slow as hell and you think it's cool.

posted by  Bino

The Firebird basically is a pontiac version of the Camaro. In Road & Track they also mentioned that GM will possibly be bring the Firechicken back. :laughing: I would like it to have the styling of the early 70s ones :drool: Those cars looked so badass.

posted by  FordFromHell351

they came out with the 6.6L in the Trans Am and Camaro in that decade... now that is power. Anyways while the Firebird and Camaro are both Fbodies that doesn't mean they will both come out at once, GM will not waste the resources putting out the Firebird right off the bat, unless the come back Camaro does well.

Also watch your mouth.... Firebirds can be quick cars... they may not be a 10 second car for ten grand like an ugly ole' Fox-body but they do alright themselves. Not to mention since day one they have had better curves than Mustangs. True Story.

posted by  Flame Roller

Wow that is an ignorant comment if I have ever seen one, yes I like my car alot and appreciate hence why I bought it, yes it is slow, but I did not say anything about performance, like I said GTO's look like bland piece's of crap but that is simply my own opinion. And your right that is where we are different because personally I will never own a 4 cycl. turbo-charged or not because my preference is more to V8's and Muscle Cars. Not everybody goes for performance, especially when it is my first car, I could have had a first car but I rather not be dumb when I am an inexperienced driver and possibly wreck.

posted by  Pythias

Why can't weeee be friends?
Why can't wee be friends?
Why can't weee be friends?
why can't weee be friends?

There's why I'll never get a record deal :laughing:

posted by  TurboLag

Man I'd give you a record deal in a heart beat :mrgreen:

posted by  Pythias

Noice, My band will be called: Mr. On Fire :rock:

posted by  TurboLag

Only Firebirds that Ive seen that can hold their own are the older ones (1967-1974) and the newer ones (1993-2003) There was a big gap there where the Firebird, Camaro, and Trans Am were some of the slowest cars on the road. But then again so were the Mustangs from 1975-about 1985. It was mostly because of smog emissions though on all the cars.

posted by  FordFromHell351

cursed arabs. Them and their oil... :cussing:

posted by  TurboLag

Your Message