Need Help, Car's computer messed up

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Need Help, Car's computer messed up

Hey everyone I jsut recently took my 1994 V6 Firebird to have it's fuel injectors cleaned because I sometimes smell gasoline and the car acted like it wanted to stall sometimes at red lights, well I had them cleaned and the guy at the dealership liked my car so he ran some simple tests on my car. He founbd out the computer in ym car has 6 different codes somehow and he said that is what is attributing to lal the backfiring I get when trying to stay at a steady speed, as well as my transmission shifting dumbly sometimes. I was wondering if I can have my computer reset rather than going and buying a new one and having it put in, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

posted by  Pythias

Yea you can get the codes cleared and if thier is any updates for your computer have them put them in too. not to mention the gasy smell might have been the O-rings(2) around the injectors goin bad and leakin gas. also the updates might take care of your tranny problems. it helps when u kno what the codes are for also.

posted by  Mx3Kid

yes, do tell us what the codes are...

posted by  dodger65

Tony?

posted by  Oomba

Yes who is this?, btw thanks, and I don't know the codes I would have to have it uflly checked out for like 90 dollars or some shit so.

posted by  Pythias

My names Josh. I was in Shawn with the red Probes passenger seat when we saw u at Target the other day. I remember you talking about this on the 4th.

posted by  Oomba

Yes hey dude wats up

posted by  Pythias

Also my car backfires a ton when i try to go a steady speed, and it idles real bad when i try to just og at a steady speed rpessing on the pedal, but when cruise control is on it backfires less and it doesnt idle real abd at that speed, I'm thinking the O rings prolyl are goin bad but I wonder how many of these prob;lems can be caused by my car's computer and the O rings, hopefully all of them but I don't know.

posted by  Pythias

*Bump*

posted by  Pythias

right, *bump* now what are the codes? check your fuel pressure and look for vacuum leaks...

posted by  dodger65

I just went today to autozone to have it tested and get the codes, and they said they couldn't because they codes didn't flash, so I will jsut have to wait until tomorrow and call brandon (the guy who originally said those codes were there) and see how he got those codes or what he did to get them.

posted by  Pythias

The reason Autozone cannot get the codes, is more than likely, that the codereader is an ODBII, 1994 vehicles are not. You need a professional code reader like a Snap-On or the like, or you may be able to get the codes by shorting out the test plug wherethe code reader goes. I don't know about GM, but shorting the test wire on a Ford will give you a flashing code on the MIL light.

posted by  radioman2003

Actually they had an OBI but it was just this little piece of metal they used and they said it should flash the code but it didn't doesn't really matter at the moment because I am going to maryland to work with ym dad for the rest of the summer, should come abck with around 600 dollars and I will just get a full diagnostic on the car and find and fix all the problems then run it through e-check and get the plates and all.

posted by  Pythias

i didn't think of that... the 94's were a weird crossover year where they had the obdI plug, but not the self diagnostic capability... (just dealt w/ that on a 94 century) once again, check your fuel pressure...

posted by  dodger65

How do I check my fuel Pressure?

posted by  Pythias

you could buy a replacement line first. then splice the old one and put a pressure gauge on it and start the car and check the pressure and when your done switch in the new line. but theres probably an easier way

posted by  72firebird

I see, thanks for the help, also I asked my friend about the O rings possibly being the problem he said they were in the front of the car, but I only smell it in the back, he suggested it my be my gas tank cap, when I undo it to put gas in my car it makes this hissing sound as if it is under pressure, do they all make that or not? Might be a retarded question but I can't remember hearing it when I put gas in my father's truck.

posted by  Pythias

some cars are like that. like the gas tank is pressuriezed almost. for example my firebird which is a 72 doesnt make that sound. but my dads 87 honda does. our 88 suburban doesnt make it either. but that shouldnt really be a problem

posted by  72firebird

Still my biggest problem is the idling badly and the backfiring almost constantly when i try to stay at a steady speed, wouldnt go through e check because of that all, it'd be nice if someone could give me an idea of what it could be, could the computer possibly be causing it all? because I have been thinking about unplugging the abttery resetting the computer, if I cant figure anything out by the time I come back from maryland 9in a month or so) I am jsut going to spend 90 dollars on a full diagnostic.

posted by  Pythias

that would be your best bet to get a full diagnostic. its better to know whats wrong then guessing. if you lived in cali id give you a full dio for free. but thats one of the things i hate is guess work. also a lot of shops will do a diagnostic for cheaper than 90 especialy if they know that if they find something youll probably take it there to work on. thats why its smart for mechanics to be nice and do small things for cheap like that. brings back buisness

posted by  72firebird

ok, I'll try to look around some, I jsut don;t have a great view on small mechanic shops here in Ohio after my mom got screwed over a few hundred dollars on i believe an alternator, I'd rather take it to a dealership where they at least have a better reputation, especially the guy who worked on my car I liked him alot just gave me a real good impression and everyhting.

posted by  Pythias

yea the key is to take your car where you feel comforatable. thats why only me and my dad and a few other close friends work on my car. but dealerships can try to snake you out of money too.

posted by  72firebird

there is a schrader valve on the rear of the fuel rail for pressure testing, but you have to have a gauge for it. if you go to a smaller shop, you could ask them to test your fuel pressure for you. otherwise you can pick one up at autozone for about 35 bucks... it's really sounding like it's leaning out...

posted by  dodger65

Your right but the guy that worked on my car gave mea real good impression so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

posted by  Pythias

You could take it to Mike Reigler's car shop on North Main Street in Akron, tell him you're friends with Jimmy Taylors son. Itd be better to get a full diagnostic because then you might found out about problems you dont even know exist yet.

posted by  Oomba

Would I possibly get a discount since I know his son? lol, and yes that is what I was planning all along is getting a full diagnostic.

posted by  Pythias

Maybe, but he would be more thorough if it was for a friend

posted by  Oomba

K, thanks, I'll prolly give him a call before I do the dealership.

posted by  Pythias

Your Message