got some work done! Pix

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  got some work done! Pix

I actually got some work done this weekend.
I pulled off both my nose and my spoiler and sanded and primed them both, and painted my spoiler... I’m trading someone for a different nose so its staying primed.
This was the first time I did this kind of thing on a large scale... first time was with my old Chrysler minivan (no jokes) fixing the paint...
I was worried about using a rattle can... but it looks pretty good for amateur... tonight in class, ill be putting in speakers in my doors, and installing a red neon light under my spoiler and hooking it up to my brake light (after all I don’t have a 3rd one). Those pix will be here too!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/fiero3.jpg
Prior to any work at all... notice all the chips... you cant see them but there are spider cracks every where.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/Picture029.jpg
almost all sanded... chips and cracks were just surface and came off with a little elbow grease

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/Picture038.jpg
Spoiler sanded... it used to be white, then silver, then bright red, then burgundy, then gun metal, now black... that spoiler has seen a lot

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/Picture044.jpg
after priming... and painting... this is the finished product... really not bad for rattle can paint...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/takenapart.jpg
apparently you have to remove the hood to take off the nose... and god dang... how many screws do you need?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/Picture043.jpg
after sanding and priming... its back on... with every screw put back and not a one lost... ya me.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Good job! :thumbs: Still got some chips on that bumper, but good job!
I remember doing the body work on my first car, a 1977 Ford Maverick. I always thought that sort of stuff was fun. Glad to see you tkaing pride in your ride! :thumbs: Keep it up! :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

... where do you see chips? I know I didnt spend 5 hours sanding it, to let there still be chips... if you see them in the pic then its a camera trick in person its perfect.

I didnt get to the speakers today...
But if you look in the middle you see a red light thats not normally there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/Picture048.jpg

posted by  TheFieroKid

Pretty nice job for first time lol. I'm hoping to be doing the same thing soon (different vehicle though). Fieros are pretty nice cars.

posted by  car_crazy89

hahaha, i'm diggin the license plate :thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

I think what he is seeing is the holes for your emblem. The bumper looks fine to me. Good job. :thumbs:

posted by  theman352001

Everything looks great :thumbs:

Are you gonna swap a small block into it or keep the V6?

posted by  99integra

Actually the 84 only came with the L4... you know the one that had the fires? which were fixed and never had that problem again.

She already has a V-8 in her. Its a 350TPI.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/scorpsguide/rd84ac12.jpg

I just got a 8 gallon air tank with compressor... in the next couple of weeks im going to be buying real auto paint, and sanding and redoing all the work ive already done.
I plan on following my photoshoped ideas (refference my sig)

Id like to find a pint of black with red metalic speckles in it for the black accents.

Today... before and afterschool, im going to atemped to install 5 1/4 speakers in my doors... as of right now I only have 2 dash speakers... and a 8" sub and 200 watt amp are on their way, these get mounded under the dash.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Oh okay, didn't know you had an 84 :doh: :laughing:

Nice car BTW, prolly can fly can't she

posted by  99integra

Not quite... but ive been told the front end lifts in 2nd gear... I dont knwo if theyre true... I dont let other people drive it.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Put a 4:11 rear end in it with positrac aka limited slip differentials, that would be cool

posted by  99integra

Thats not gonna work... its a Mid Engine car... so its set up like a FWD car but in the back....
Theres a lot of issues with this kind of car... and thats one of them... no power stearing is also an issue.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Danm, well at least it handles well

posted by  99integra

No, at the bottom of the bumper in the first pic.

Maybe you can swap in a Ford 9". That would fit, at least Im pretty sure. Then put in some 3.73 gears. Guys around here use the front end from newer Bonneville SSEis.

hey man thats not bad for spray can stuff. i think you may go somewhere with it. im a body man myself and to see someone do such a good job with a spray can makes me think of my first time with that sort of thing. it was a 69 nova that was in a feild. it sat there for like 9 years and i took it and restored it. i started on it at age 13 and got it done by the time i was 18 years old. it had really bad cancer and it took a lot of that elbow grease you were talking about. i used spray can for most of it untill i could get to a paint shop and do it right. so good luck to you. and i wish you the best on the project. :thumbs:

posted by  frizzal

keep up the good work man. remember a gear head is a gear head no matter what you drive, cause despite what we drive, the same thing drives us. passion

posted by  72firebird

and in our case a chevy small block!!

Im off to buy a 8 gallon Air tank with air compressor, and a paint gun... next week ill get the paint I need... Maybe I can turn this into a perfession...

posted by  TheFieroKid

lol you got a sbc in your fiero? what size? if its a v8 im guessing like a 305. i got a 350 in my bird

posted by  72firebird

Wow, good job man, its good to see someone take initiative and do they're own work on an older car!

posted by  Zalight

Yes, looks great so far, i'm thinking of doing some work to my 94' firebird as well, it needs a paint job. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

350TPI. 225hp and 330ft/lb... out of a trans am GTA... not bad for a little fiero.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Not bad whatsoever. I bet it flies!

where exactly is he going to put this 9" ford????

posted by  dodger65

He could put it in the front and make it an all wheel drive car. Oh, wait, how do you steer a Ford 9"?? How about like a soap box derby car and pivot it right at the center.

Yeah, now were talkin.......

posted by  theman352001

There’s absolutely no way to run anything other then wires from the rear of the car to the front. The floor plating goes all the way down, and in the center is my gas tank.

With out major modifications something like that is out of the question.
If I want to improve steering ill just buy a set up from an 88 and swap it in... There are some reports of under steer with the pre 88 Fieros... but I haven’t really experienced it yet... My Wight ratio is like 45/55 and im pretty happy with the performance...

Aside from the stigma that the Fiero has, it gets received pretty well. And the common guy (the one who knows nothing about cars) has pretty much forgotten the Fiero.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Once that gas tank is out of the way the center is wide open. (I was joking about that 9" in the front by the way)

I have an '84 Fiero also that is waiting for an engine transplant. I'm just waiting to run across the right engine. I have also scrapped 2 Fieros so I know what they look like naked. Seems like it would be a nice challenge to make an AWD one though. Putting a transaxle up front would help you achieve that 50/50 weight distribution also.

posted by  theman352001

the only problem with that is to put a transaxle in hed need to move the engine to the front. cause thats basicly what is in it now a trans axle thats flipped around. he could kinda do like a reversed wrx awd drivetrain. but i think id keep it the way it is. that lil fiero with the tpi 350 probably hauls as$ to begin with

posted by  72firebird

Fieros are nice cars, yours looks pretty good. Is a 350 sbc the biggest engine you can put into a Fiero?

posted by  car_crazy89

id say yes. but i dont have one so im not sure. a 350 block is the biggest. but you could bore it out to up to a 400

posted by  72firebird

Well of course this would be more of a drag racing mod.

Ever heard of wheel spacers?

The physically largest engine you can put in is a Cadillac Northstar.

It hauls ass ya... but man there are always problems and I don’t know if its because its a V-8 conversion... or just its age. Probably a combo of both.
for example I just saw that I have a hole in my headers... and its proving to be a challenge to find headers that fit.
Another example is that I’m getting 12/17 for my mileage. BUT I should be getting mid 20s. Problem is that there was never a manual trans in a GTA but I have a manual, so the Base fuel map is wrong, its dumping too much fuel at every speed and every RPM. Solution is tracking down the fuel map of a 350TPI Corvette with a manual trans. Then all I have to do is plug those settings into my ECU via my laptop connection. Now locating that fuel map is also proving to be challenging.

posted by  TheFieroKid

are you runnin that gitrag tranny or the saginaw, nice car btw. how much you got into it :)

posted by  carls47807

Getrag, 4500 to buy it... and 600 so far.
IF I was the one who put the engine in it... over 8k lucky for me the former owner ran into a hard time :D

posted by  TheFieroKid

Your Message