1991 plymouth acclaim 2.5 motor ????s

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1991 plymouth acclaim 2.5 motor ????s

I just bought a 1991 plymouth acclaim, with a 2.5 motor. I knew it ran really rough when I bought it, but it was really cheap ($100). It smokes out the exhaust a bit, has a general lack of power, sometimes it stalls at idle, and the previous owner says it goes thru a half a quart of oil a week. I am thinking rings, but does anyone else have any ideas before I dig in? Please let me know. Thanks

posted by  tightwadcustoms

sounds like ringos to me.

do a compression test with the engine cold. then put oil in the cylinder and see if it gets to 120 or so. if it does your rings are fried for sure. if not, it's still the rings. :)

might as well do valve guide seals too though just in case.

posted by  carls47807

2.5's are nutorious head gasket leakers.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

yea like 100% of all plymouth 2.5 or 2.2's have had at least one head gasket put in them. it's like changing the oil.

but they are still great engines. this one time my mom drove hers 80 miles with no water in the system. when she got home the oil was boiling. i put a head gasket in it (didn't even shave the head or nothing) and it went another 30k.

posted by  carls47807

Well, it blew up on me...Oh well I was planning on getting a used motor anyways, just not this quick. Thanks for your help guys.

posted by  tightwadcustoms

Your Message