What do you think of the Ford Probe?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  What do you think of the Ford Probe?

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the Ford Probe GT. I personally loathe these cars, but if theres soemthing im not getting i would like someone to explain it to me so maybe i can come to appreciate them. Just give me some opinions or facts on these cars what ever. Thanks

posted by  Enthusiast

Theyre definitely the best looking Ford from that era, no joke. And they pretty fast. I like the 95+ ones because they have the GT logo thing between the taillights and dont have any of the problems from the earlier ones.

posted by  Oomba

the name PROBE sets it off. i wouldnt drive it.

posted by  frizzal

Because of course, with all the different definitions of that word in the dictionary, the ONLY one you can think of is a definition that ISN'T in the dictionary, right?

try Scientific probe, medical probe, congressional probe, etc.

The Probe is based on the Mazda 626/MX6 chassis, and used primarily Mazda engines. The GT version used a bit more aggressive suspension tuning than the Mazda MX6, and was actually one of the better handling cars of it's day and one of the best handling FWD cars ever marketed. The build quality is pretty good, as well, though the cars depreciated quick enough that people beat the crap out of them. They do make excellent daily drivers/autocross cars, however.

The Mazda 2.5 liter engine is a decent engine, but getting hop up parts is a bit more expensive than the Duratech 2.5 liter V6s that ended up in the Contour. And the early Probe GT turbos were actually faster than the Mustangs of their day...

posted by  ChrisV

I dont know about them being built good. The early second gen Probes had so many problems. My friend has a 93 Probe GT, his interior panels can be taken off by barely pulling them a little bit, his front bumper is coming off, one of his headlight motors died, etc. His sister has owned 2 or 3 Probes, all of which ended up being wrecked. Later 2nd gen Probes are better.

posted by  Oomba

I think theyre great cars. Sporty, reliable, good gas mileage, and pretty quick. I love them.

posted by  FordFromHell351

yes Shawn's (If that is hwo you spell it) car is a piece lol :laughing: Plus he said his clutch is going...

posted by  Pythias

Yeah. Itd be better if he actually would spend money on it.

posted by  Oomba

Yes I mean by no means am I trying to really bash his car but mine at least I'm getting the problems fixed, its only a matter of time... and money :banghead: lol but it will all get fixed.

posted by  Pythias

The only main problems with my car is the suspension sucks, transmission is alittle bad, and the paint is fading, that is really about it. I could get it fixed, but I dont know if I should fix the problems or just buy a newer car.
My friend has an MX6 and he is getting a new suspension system for his car and he said he would give me his old suspension off his MX6 which isnt to bad, decent mileage, good to last a few years. And a transmission wouldnt cost to much, I know a guy that has tons of Probe parts, and he has some pretty decent transmissions around that he could sell to me.
Also my clutch isnt bad, its that my transmission is leaking fluid and the gears are grinding.

posted by  nsupra27

the Ford Probe GT is a turbo... yeah?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Only the first gen probe GT, using the mazda 626 turbo drivetrain.

http://www.pillowrock.com/ronnie/images/cars.h68.gif

the '93-up probe GT used the Mazda 2.5 liter DOHC V6.

http://www.theautochannel.com/media/photos/ford/96_ford_probe.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Probes seem nice, but they almost replaced the Mustang!!

posted by  jedimario

Also, the turbo version of the second generation was the GTS. Which I have found to be somewhat difficult to locate now. :ohcrap:

posted by  FordFromHell351

You're having difficulty locating one because the GTS (like all second gen Probes) wasn't turbocharged in stock form.

"The GTS was a sports appearance package available for GTs during the 1997 model year only. The GTS package included the following:

Racing Stripes
16" Chrome Alloy Wheels
GTS Decals
Spoiler
Chrome Exhaust Tip "

From here: http://www.performanceprobe.com/text/info/faq.htm

posted by  ChrisV

i was told a rumor that the 1988 mazda mx6 turbo was capable of 12 second passes with an amazingly small amount of upgrades.. aparently if you put a T28BB and a FMIC on it then it flys hard...? my mate tony has one which has quite a bit of work done to it with a TD04 and it's pullin 13.2's... i kinda don't believe that a T28BB and an FMIC can pull 12's.. anyone else think that rumor is bullocks?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Sounds and looks like what I'm getting :mrgreen:

posted by  TurboLag

Well dont tell us about it, just get it already lol. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

posted by  car_crazy89

Well i need like $600 more, I'm too lazy to get a job. So I might as well start hawking my junk on ebay :laughing: .

Anyone want a 1996 T-Ball trophy? Only 600 bucks! How about a sony boombox? Slightly used 10 year old sister? Maybe a purple bean bag? Broken lava lamp?

posted by  TurboLag

Damn, if you can get anywhere close to $600 for your sister then i wonder what i could get for mine :laughing: , ahh who am i kidding, shes annoying/bitchy, they'd want there money back :doh: .

Hawking stuff would be good but you dont wanna get rid of anything good (in my case, cellphone, ps2, mp3 player, etc, just wanna sell the useless stuff).

If its family why can thtey give you the car and trust you'll pay them? lol, or are you not that trustworthy.

posted by  car_crazy89

Did you know that if you add up the cost of every molecule in the human body, the average human is only worth $11! Pretty crazy.

I'm plenty trustworthy, I just think I should pay before I get it. I would feel selfish If I just took it and payed them 6 months later. I was thinking about sending them the money I have now and making payments.

Theres still a 5-10% chance I won't get it :ohcrap: , my dad is considering not letting me get it because it might be "too fast for me". Psh. I don't blame him for being concerned, but he knows I drive good. Plus I still have 9 months (i think) until i get my license, which is plenty of practice time. I figure I'll get it though, he trusts me... I hope. Plus, it's not his money.

posted by  TurboLag

Haha, well i wish you luck. Kind of why i love that my parents say i can buy anything i want (within reason of course), especially car wise (except dad dislikes Fords and Imports lol).

What really is considered "too fast" though lol. I still got till September before my G1 and if i'm lucky be driving alone by May (G2) lol.

Oh, and $11 is still worth it for my sister, I'LL pay someone $20-$50 lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

My dad doesn't have room to talk in the "Too fast for a first car" department. His first car was a '69 z28 (lucky :cussing: ...) lol.

I guess little sisters are a pain in the ass regardless of what country you're in :laughing:

posted by  TurboLag

Haha, not sure my dads first car, but he's had some nice/fast cars and hates what he did with some of them. One night he and his buddies were driving drunk (long before i was born) and he has a 1972 Charger, it was lime green with a white roof (he didnt like the car) so they started making bets on whether or not it could jump a tree stump at the end of the road... long story short, it jumped it but the front did not survive, it went in the 'car pit' with all his cars and friends cars went after they werent needed anymore.

Also scraped an old Lemans just cause it had a hole in the oil pan and didnt have the money to fix, just took the wheels. Gave up a chance to buy a 1968 Charger for $100 off a friend, instead they called a wrecker (in the way of the friends Ford truck they were working on) :banghead:

And my sisters not even that much younger lol, just a year.

posted by  car_crazy89

Ouch, that sucks. My uncle did something similar, He drove his Dodge stealth RT twin turbo (same motor as 3000gt vr4) right off of a small bridge and hit a tree. It was almost totalled, i dont remember if they fixed it or if he just got rid of it.

Well, I'm off to bed.

Cya later, all

posted by  TurboLag

I've been looking at probes, although yes, the idea of an anal probe does turn me off the idea...

posted by  mahalaleel

Well, how about any of the other adjectives much more commonly used? Scientific, research, stellar, lunar, etc?

posted by  ChrisV

i only like the gt's in my opinion the other one's are heaps of crap. but that is just me

posted by  mx3_monster

THus my other thread about automotive enthusaism. If it ins't an absolute favortie, it's an utter pile of crap, isnt' it?

Even thoguh all of them are similarly assembed mass produced consmer products....

posted by  ChrisV

i got a 92 ford probe...it could be quikc seeing as how light weight it is id much rather sell it and put my money into a classic...but hey until i can find a buyer right? but i got the 3.0 v6 version...if it was turbo'd it might be ok? but ive had alot of problems with the thing...it was totaled when i bought it and the frame is bent and i dont know how 2 get the headlight to stop winking...lol...but i did go in with some vice grips and bent the headlight motor down a little bit...but im thinking now i might just go in with a sledge hammer and try to bend the frame back...ive also had 2 replace the radiator and the thermostat now...but other then that its been a reliable car i would say...i mean its not nothing very nice...but u do what u can with what little u have

posted by  hoopmasta126

Why get a weak I4 when you can get a 170 hp V6? :screwy:

posted by  Oomba

Since the car is basically the samne, how does a couple hp make one a great car and the other a heaping pile of crap?

But than again, I have to remember that you're an ignorant POS, yourself, who has a very narrow view of what's acceptable not only for you to own, but for ANYONE to have, and have to insult everything but your absolute favorite.

posted by  ChrisV

Well the base Probe does kinda suck, with only a 118hp I4.
Now the GT is much better, nearly 170hp V6. :mrgreen:

posted by  nsupra27

When did I say it was a heaping pile of crap? :screwy:

Lets see, the non-GT models have rear drum brakes, different transmission, worse suspension, higher off the ground, smaller wheels/tires...

Nope no difference except a couple horsepower, eh?

posted by  Oomba

When did I ever say YOU did? I was responding to mx3_monster, dumbass. Typical, you aren't even capable of paying attention.

And when were they supposed to be race cars, shit for brains? Hmmm? Just because they aren't race cars doen't make them heaping piles of shit, which is what I was responding to, asshat! But you're too f*cking stupid to get that, as per usual. They are still functional cars that do everything else well on the street. They don't break down any more than anything else, and they are fully functional for the average driver. But the reasoning I was refuting was that if the car isn't a testosterone filled racer, it's uttter crap, which is bullsh*t.

That's it. Back on ignore you go.

posted by  ChrisV

Thats also funny, because I never said it was supposed to be a racecar either.

posted by  Oomba

Your Message