1984 Trans-Am

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1984 Trans-Am

So I'm getting a 1984 Trans-Am with a manual transmission from my dad's friend for $2000 in a month or two. What do you guys think I should do to it? I'm thinking blower, but im open to suggestions.

posted by  Oomba

wow, slow down killer. first things first. before you go and put a blower on an engine you have to get said engine into shape. my first thought is to rebuild the engine first so you know what you are working with. put only the best into it. that way you will have no problems when you start attaching things such as blowers. also you have to make sure your clutch and the rest of the drive train is in the same prestine condition so you dont have to replace anything. i would hate to hear you getting into an accident because your tranny took a shit and locked up on you. its a good car but you have to take the proper steps to performance. but thats my :2cents: :smoke:

posted by  frizzal

I know all about rebuilding and everything, I was just saying I'm probably going to get a supercharger. First things first though, it needs airbags.

posted by  Oomba

And exactly what kind of supercharger and how much money you got? It's a 1984, your gonna have to do more things to it if you put a sc on it, and more things will go wrong with that much horsepower.

posted by  Pythias

It has the 305 TPI engine right? That engine by NO MEANS is ready for a blower yet. You need to start thinking about getting more air into that smogged up thing GM called a muscle car :laughing: Start by taking off and disconnecting your smog pump system, and then get hi performance intake, and exhaust components for it.

posted by  FordFromHell351

It'll be emmissions exempt will it not (20 years and older), so maybe you can just lose the smog system/controls all together, it'll also make more space under the hood too. Sounds like a not bad car though and good plans for it, its a start.

posted by  car_crazy89

I would say make it handle and then have power, but if there is no handling, what is the point of going fast :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Well i dont really plan on taking corners or anything like that at high speeds. It will be something i do, but later on.

posted by  Oomba

Are you positive because I thought the older they were the more strict the emissions test is as the older cars can pollute the air more and they worry mroe about them.

posted by  Pythias

I thought it was something along the lines of "we're not as strict on cars that were built before the standards came in, but you can't deliberately make it more pollutive".

ps: I am aware that pollutive is probably not a real word. :mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

I'm really not sure, hopefully one of the great car experts on car forums.com will come in and set us all straight, and it would be nice if he/she found a website to support their claims. thanks in advance :mrgreen:

posted by  Pythias

Oh ya, might be different in Canada, US, Europe, etc. Here anything 20 years and older is emissions exempt so dont have to worry really about it so now anything '85 and older is emissions exempt and next year will be '86 etc.

posted by  car_crazy89

I see do you know if it is the same for the U.S. too though?

posted by  Pythias

I dont know, i think some may be 25 but i dont know. Where do you live (US, Europe, etc)?

posted by  car_crazy89

Ohio, in the U.S.

posted by  Pythias

Oh okay, and do you not know what it is there? I think i've seen it talked about in different threads (different States) and i think some are 25 and some might be 20. Could always start a thread asking people what its like where they are from.

posted by  car_crazy89

If its old enough to be declared a historical vehicle it doesnt need to conform to any standards of any kind.

posted by  Oomba

I beleive historical is 20 years.

posted by  Pythias

Well i was trying to see if it'd be on Google and the majority came up as either 25-30 years.

posted by  car_crazy89

so it doesn't matter what you do to it? I thought that any new mods you did needed to conform.

posted by  windsonian

I guess not, and darn that sorta sucks if it was 20 years it'd be better cause my eventual dream car is a 1988 Mustang Gt and if it didn't have to go through emissions check.... :hi: let's just say I'd "modify" it a bit more extravengently :laughing:

posted by  Pythias

No, i think theres still some things you cant do/remove, like i think if it came stock with a catalytic (sp?) converter.

posted by  car_crazy89

yeah, that's the sort of thing i was talking about. like, this started when talking about ripping out some smog gear ... surely that's not allowed if it increases the emissions to above legal (based on newer standards) levels.

posted by  windsonian

If its a historical vehicle you dont have to add a cat or anything like that, but yeah if it had one you cant just take it off because its historical.

posted by  Oomba

Depends on teh state, and the location in that state. For example where I was living in Washington state i could buy a brand new mustang and rop a '90 BOSS 429 in it and no one would care, as no one checked teh cars out there. But in a couple counties there, they only become exampt from testing after they get 25 years old (25 years old is the usual limit for testing in most states that have testing, though california has some areas that are stricter...)

Here in MD, after the car gets 25 years old, I can do anything I want to it, regardless of whether it's a daily driver OR a historic/street rod vehicle (another thing is that many states are separating out their historic/antique vehicle registration from theri street rod registration, where historic vehicles have to be stock, and street rods are modified).

In Ohio, only 14 counties have emissions testing, and in those counties, cars over 25 years old are exempt from testing. Unfortunately, that means that if you are in one of those counties, you have 3 more years before that Trans Am becomes exempt.

OTOH, the rules also state when doing engine swaps that you can change to any automotive engine the same year or newer, and with the same or better emissions equipment. So a swap to a later 350, LT1, or LS1 would be easy to accomplish and easily made legal, and provide you with a ton of power. That 305 has crappy heads, and a weaker block casting and crank main caps, and would be a bad choice for a supercharger base. Heck, they really can't support much more power than stock without spending a ton on mods to bring it up to the specs of a stock 350. Oh, you CAN make them make good power, they just are more prone to destroying themselves in the process, or causing you to spend far more money to get the power levels you want.

posted by  ChrisV

How about a 455ci? They any good?

posted by  Oomba

....someone doesn't know their f-bodies very well.... :wink2:

definitely not a tpi in 84 for the f-bird...

shitcan the 305 and drop a 350 in. you can make a 305 quick w/ some cam & some gear, but you'll eventually wanna go faster, so just do it now...

emissions... depends on where he is...

posted by  dodger65

I'm in Ohio. How much would a 350 run me?

posted by  Oomba

depends on how hard you look and how lucky you are, really... look thru a local "trader" type publication... (out here it's called "the bargain finder" or "tradin' times") you oughta be able to find someone that built a 350, then lost their trailer and need the cash to buy it back or something... if you look in the right places, they're easy to find... :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

ChrisV is my idol. :mrgreen:

posted by  Pythias

Oh thats right, they were still carbed in 84 :doh: I thought he said 86. I dont really car for the Camaros, Firebirds, and Trans Ams that were made in the late 70s to early 90s anyway, they were junk. No to mention how incredibly slow they were. :banghead: Ugly little things too.

hey, now...!!!!! :fu:

posted by  dodger65

"idle" or "idol"????

posted by  dodger65

Carbed in 84? My dad had a 82 and it said Fuel Injected on the side. I dont know why 84 is carbed though. BTW, up to 81 are the best looking Trans-Ams made.

posted by  Oomba

So you are getting the car? I'm guessing you will have fun with it. Not a bad looking car/year.

And personally, i think 1977/1978 were the best looking Trans-Ams, didnt like the four square lights/holes in the nose from 1979-1981.

posted by  car_crazy89

in 82-83 they had that awful thing called cross-fire injection...

posted by  dodger65

DOnt even mention that bullshit :banghead: It gives me a headache just thinking about it. :doh: They put it on a few Corvettes in the 70s too. Also not one of the brighter ideas GM has acted on.

Any way i could fuel inject it / would it be beneficial to do so?

posted by  Oomba

F U C K the exterior mods go all original but put on a flow master ehaust kit
on it

posted by  google.com

Noone said anything about exterior mods. The most ill do to the exterior is a paintjob.

posted by  Oomba

Wow seems every time I see that you've psoted you manage to make yourself look even more retarded.

posted by  Pythias

as long as it's not crossfire... :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

Yes, as long as its NOT crossfire (which I highly doubt it is, that was pretty rare) then get it. Just saying/hearing the name "Crossfire Injection" makes my ass crawl.

Hey Oomba. I'm from Canada. I own an 84 Z28 camaro which is bassically the same as the trans am. Mechanically anyways. I don't know how well the 305 would react to a supercharger. Like the others said you would have to rebuild the engine and make sure it's in good shape. Personally I would turbo charge the car so I didn't have to cut any holes in the hood or anything and keep the look of the car. That would take a lot of doing though too. By the way in Canada after 20 years you don't need a drive clean certificate. I know because I didn't have to get one for my car. I don't know what the deal is like in the US. Just phone the dmv, they'll tell you. Anyways you can pretty much do what ever you want to the exhaust system. Just don't get caught. If you rip out the smog system and the cadellitic(I can't spell) converter you won't really be able to sell the car to anyone else because it's not legal. But as long as your not running directly from the exhaust manifold or anything you'll never get caught. I was running like that for a while when my exhaust system broke off. I sounded as loud as those funny car dragsters at the track. The 305 is a very loud engine without any exhaust system, but it sounds great. I used to tear through the small town I live in at night and wake up the neighbors. Good luck with your car. And don't let anyone tell you trans am is ugly or crappy. That's there retarded ****ing opinion. They probably drive a honda anyways.

posted by  jesse cool

Catalytic (basic english) and whats wrong with Hondas peanut?

posted by  99integra

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\old computer files\Documents and Settings\Jesses Docs

posted by  jesse cool

www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us/

posted by  99integra

The flowmaster kit is always a good idea but you'll have to adjust the carbuerator for it. There is no computer to do it for you.

posted by  jesse cool

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8162/mycarfront3qu.th.jpg (http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mycarfront3qu.jpg) http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1246/mycarback7fx.th.jpg (http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mycarback7fx.jpg)

There's nothing quite like tearing down a windy dirt road at 100 km. A la Bo Duke.

posted by  jesse cool

Way to bring up an old thread guys.

Anyhow, I've moved on from the T/A. Found out it was an 82, and the last thing I want is a 3700 lb car with 150 horsepower. I'm getting a Mazda MX-6 sometime in the next two weeks for 1500 with 120k miles on. Stage 3 clutch, short throw shifter, new exhaust system, leather seats, blah blah. I'm thinking of swapping a KL-ZE into it and later turboing it.

posted by  Oomba

It was one person genious

posted by  99integra

yes i understand this is an old thread but since when do you need to adjust the carb when you put different mufflers on? correct me if im wrong, but i dont recall ever having to do that, EVER!

posted by  glagon1979

how many miles on it oomba? just curious

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the next 3 pages to this, forget it

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Because of course, unlike a Mazda MX-6 that you can turbo, you can't increase the horsepower on a domestic V8 car like the Firebird...

Interesting reasoning.

posted by  ChrisV

I have a 88 firebird it was a v6 until last week i did a swap went up to a 350
1 problem my heat and a/c wont blow but my heater core is good and my blower is good but i wont blow air

posted by  sma11b10ckchevy

I have tried every thing can some one help me?

posted by  sma11b10ckchevy

Cmon Oomba, Stick To An American Muscle Car, Dont Go To The Evil Side!!!

posted by  illusion34

Why exactly are you posting here? :banghead:

Good luck on your MX-6 Oomba :thumbs:

posted by  chris_knows

The difference is I want a decent amount of power while I'm saving up to add more horsepower later.

posted by  Oomba

Your Message