Trans or Clutch...which died?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Trans or Clutch...which died?

Did I post this in the wrong place?... hope not.

So let me give you a little back story.

I had holes in my headers, and as such wasn’t getting full power out of the engine (v-8). In class today, I finished replacing them, and all my problems were gone, Idle was smooth, no smoking, quite... everything was great I was so happy. So I left school got into 2nd gear in the parking lot, and trans was as smooth as it has been.

Now the sad part.
When I was pulling onto the main street I was in 1st gear, and as I made the turn I went into 2nd gear I hit the gas and boom I hear a metal clanking sound and the car looses speed, like I was in natural.
I can shift into gears, and I can almost hear and feel it shift. I can shift with the car off as well.

So what does it sound like to you?
I know I can fix it if its just the clutch... if its the trans... welll who knows.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Sorry to hear about your issue. You wern't getting on it were you??

Anyway... If you heard metal "clanking" then it is more of an indication that the trans let loose. You may be lucky and it is just the clutch but I doubt it.

Either way you are going to have to pull the trans to check it out so you might want to just get to it. You could look into getting a replacement trans or perhaps one better suited to handle the torque coming from the V8. (I don't recall which trans you had in there but I thought it was the stock one)

Good luck.

posted by  theman352001

Its a Getrag 5 speed from Chevy Beretta with Rodney Dickman FWD conversion kit. Its built to take the v-8 power... the whole converson only has between 40 and 60k miles on it. Every one ive talked to, including Fiero V-8 experets and transsmission guys, say it sounds like the clutch... other wise I couldnt move it into any gear.

But I wont know for sure till I take it out and look at it.

posted by  TheFieroKid

put it in first or second, block one wheel and turn the other and see if you can see (or hear) the clutch disc turning

posted by  dodger65

Good luck, it'd suck no matter what it is but hopefully its the clutch so you can fix it cheaper and easier.

posted by  car_crazy89

Well, keep us posted.

posted by  theman352001

i've ****ed a box or two in my day and i seem to remember bein' able to put it in gear, the only problem was it didn't catch in gear because i'd killed all the threading/teeth in the gears, unless you've completely ****ed the synchronisation in the whole box all together, which is quite possible that you've done that.

either way, if all the pro's are sayin' it's the clutch then i'd go with what they're sayin' and i'd go with a new clutch, it's just a shame that your clutch is ****ed, you'll have trouble finding a clutch that can handle the way you drive personally, some people drive responsibally, other's.. like myself, gear to quickly and burn the **** out of the clutch doin' 1/4mi. launches at the lights :D, anyways, don't follow in my examples, try and get a custom clutch made so it can suite the way you drive.

personaly, custom made things are the best way to go.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Sounds like the clutch to me, but id take it in to a shop to have it looked at more thoroughly.

posted by  Oomba

Might still be the clutch... but after getting it up today... yup its deffently a snaped short axel.
Im gonna take the engine away from the trans to make sure... but more then likely its just the axel.

this is gonna cost me more then the clutch.
Ill post pix of the repair... im sure it will help someone somewhere.

posted by  TheFieroKid

how is that gonna cost more? custom axles?

posted by  dodger65

yup, have to be mechined, the one I broke is 2" shorter then stock, adn the one I didnt brake is 2" longer then stock... these had to be made to accomadte the V-8... to make sure there was enough room for the engine every thing was moved over to the right 2".

posted by  TheFieroKid

here is something u can do in the future
never shift gears when you are turning
always shift before the turn and after it but never during
however i dont thionmk that this is the problem here
you might have blown a gear, but then you said that the car shifts
duno u gota take it to your mechanic and have him take a look at it
or the guy who stuck the V8 in there
im guesing yuo had to have a custom trans installed in there too
so just ask him
but never shift when you are turning
thats only for subaru
lol :2cents:

posted by  6000LE

I am my own mechanic... I refuse to pay someone to do work I can do.
The trans is a Getrag 5 speed from Chevy Beretta with Rodney Dickman FWD conversion kit.

I havent gotten a chance to look at it yet... probably sometime next week.

Ya I learned my lesson... no more turning while shifting.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Your Message