News

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  News

I should have posted this the other day for currency, but Holden have announced they are ceasing production of the Monaro (Pontiac GTO). A limited special CV8 edition will be released then the current model killed off. My bet is they retooling for the AWD version alongside the commodores.

Detroit may be getting the dies to make the GTO themselves.

posted by  Wally

are they serious about the awd commodore? what's the real advantage? start rallying them like that guy did with the falc?

posted by  windsonian

I would guess that seeing as the Holden have a bit of say in the management of Subaru they would be pulling on their AWD technology. Which way they really go is anyone's guess....except those who are working on the development :wink2:

posted by  Wally

*shakes wally by shirtfront* Tell me, tell me now!!!!!

seriously though, do you reckon there's any real benefit in a mass produced awd commie? or is it just likely to be on the beefed up models?

posted by  windsonian

Well they have Mitsubishi Aust looming with their new press that stamps out an entire side of a car in one piece and rumoured to increase it's AWD output. Ford Aust also looking at it seriously.

Holden are replacing the LS1s with LS2s, beefing up the braking systems, etc. AWD would be practical for Oz roads I would have thought and they have had plenty of testing via the Adventra cross trac. But I'm sure it will infuse top down initially.

posted by  Wally

do they stamp doors into it? :laughing:
awd the future of the aussie sedan?
i guess, mitsu are (in my opinion anyway) gaining a bit more credibility in the larger car market with the awd magna... there was just something about the magna trying to be a family car with a v6, but never quite having the coolness until they went awd. .... just look at the camry :ohcrap:

I think they should develop a new rally australia supercars series, in much the same fashion as v8supercars now .... all falcs and commies but in rallies :hi:

posted by  windsonian

Your Message