92 Grand Am,no spark

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  92 Grand Am,no spark

Hi ,my sisters Grand Am has no spark.Have power to the ignition module,but no spark coming out,Have changed the module and coils from another car,and still get nothing.It is a 3.3 v6.Was running fine,she went over a set of railway tracks,and it quit.Have tried a code reader,but all that comes up is the diagnostic code 12.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.. :banghead:

posted by  slither

selenoid

posted by  6000LE

Do you mean on the starter?.It rolls over fine.Not sure I understand,Thanks.

posted by  slither

i had a problem with my car
do this
take a knife and scrach a part of the engine block so you have a metal open spot
then take one plug wire, and stick a long screw in there. be careful to use a glove
hold the screw to the bare spot on the block
and have someone try to start the car
if there is no spark, replace the selenoid. happened to me and selenoid fixed it.

posted by  6000LE

ok its solinoid
crankshaft position sensor is the signal to the ignition module to fire the coils

posted by  osborste

So are you saying to replace the crank sensor,or the solenoid on the starter?Is there any way to test the solenoid.Thanks guys,really appreciate your patience.. :smoke:

posted by  slither

ignore the solenoid thing. if it turns over, you don't need one...

posted by  dodger65

Does this mean it could be the crank sensor?.Thanks..

posted by  slither

yes need to check the wires to the crank sensor as well

posted by  osborste

I am currently going thru the exact same problem. Replaced the ignition module, not it. I have voltage to the crank sensor but its weak, does anybody know if this is normal? Does it have to be 12 volts? If so i'm going to look for a bad wire before I buy a crank sensor. Anybody know how to test the crank sensor?

posted by  makensmoke

Today I replaced the ECM, crank sensor and the coil packs... still no spark. A Snap-On diagnosis computer isn't recieving a tach signal. But the harmonic balancer and crankshaft pos. sensor are new...? Unless they are way out of wack they should be working. And their not that I can see. I have power at the crank sensor, and all the wires ohm out to be closed but not to ground.
Doing a scratch test I can get spark.

Somebody get me a match, i'm going to fix this car once and for all.

posted by  makensmoke

any damage to the balancer?? dual ring theres a special tool for this to check the spacing of the rings on the balancer if its bent you would have to much or not enough clearance for a signal pick-up?? or damage the sensor

note i'm going by the first posting of a 3.3L engine

posted by  osborste

Your Message