Chevrolet Cavalier - Supercharger

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Chevrolet Cavalier - Supercharger

I was just wondering, since the Chevrolet Cobalt SS and the Chevrolet Cavalier use the same engine, would it be possible to take off the supercharger from the Cobalt SS and bolt it on to the Cavalier? Im thinking about getting a Cavalier for my first car (1999-2003) and I would also like to know if they make any performance parts for them.

posted by  SlipKnoT

If its the exact same engine then I dont see why you couldnt.

But if you want a performance vehicle, J-body probably isnt the best way to go.

posted by  Oomba

I dont want it do be super fast or any thing. Just do some stuff to it that will get it into the low 14s. Im probably going to have 2 cars (the other being an older American one like a 67 Mercury Cougar) So Ill probably be using that for my extreme power.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Bro your 14, that means by the time you drive gas'll be 3 bucks, simmer down now :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Ill be driving by next year when I get my restricted :mrgreen: Plus, gas is alreasy 3 bucks around here.

posted by  SlipKnoT

I think the cobalt SS has the 2.0 ecotec. So I dont think you could swap the supercharger. If you want to get into the 14s get the 2.4L engine and get all the bolt ons you can find. That should get you into the 15s. The cobalt SS isnt much if any faster than the 2.4

posted by  bigdaveangell

for one it's not the same motor, the cavalier has the 2.2L ECOtec,
and don't dog on j's they have just as much potential as and GSR or SI out there...

posted by  z24cavy99

yep and I can prove it my 2.4 will blow the doors off a SS supercharged cobalt!!! :)

posted by  z24cavy99

so your saying that if you take a 2.4 cavalier engine...

put "all the bolt ons you can find" on it, you'll be in the 15's ? wtf???

and another point, just because the engine is a different displacement doesnt mean you cant swap parts, now I dont know for sure if a cobalt supercharger would bolt up to a cavalier engine, but I know that I can put the exhaust manifolds from a 350 on to a 305, or 400 ci small block chevy, with no problems, It just depends on the engine "family" :2cents:

posted by  nighthawk

Yeah it doesn't work as well on newer cars liek the cavalier you can swap parts on 305 to 350 like you said because i put 350 parts on my 305 '92 camaro and they worked

posted by  z24cavy99

From what I understand the Ecotec engines are all the same. They all have forged internals so they can take the beating. Basically all you need is the supercharger and a new manifold instake. It is as simple as a bolt on.

Also don't bash the J bodies. GM has made some amazing V6 and i4 engines that have gone unoticed. It's a shame that GM made the 180 hp Quad 4 since 1988 and when someone today talks about performance i4's they always think Vtec. :screwy:

posted by  DukenukemX

Well the cobalt has a 2.0L ecotec and the cavy has a 2.2L ecotec so that will not work.The 2.0 ecotec has a square motor and the 2.2 has a longer stroke and they both can have superchargers put the cobalt uses a map senor before and after boost so that is another thing that wont let you use it on a 2.2L.

THANKS

posted by  jonojono269

haha wow now gas is 3 bucks =]

posted by  99integra

$3 isn't that bad...How much were you paying back then?

posted by  chris_knows

im not against j bodies but you can not compare the performance of a honda or acura to a j-body. i have had nothing but hondas up until now. and i can tell you this there is no way i am gonna stick with a j-body for long. i aint putting it down it does have its advantages. but i would so prefer my ek9, ej6, and eg over a j body. the car handleing is so much better. hitting the speed limiter on the j body at 105 makes the car feel like its floating and going above 80 when you brake the brakes fade. so thats not good. the hondas i got full control hitting 125+ and the brakes have never failed me.

no you cant put a supercharger from a cobalt ss its not gonna work out. you can use the supercharger from the ss but its not a simple swap you will need to change alot of things on it. you will save money because you have the supercharger but you will need to buy everything seperate so that it fits on and runs at its best.

posted by  requiem_racer

i think there is no prob to use the supercharge for both car..:thumbs:

posted by  nakaltitude

...Nearing $4.

posted by  chris_knows

4.05 for regular in WI by my rents. 3.89 by me in CO. ****in stupid.

posted by  Satty101

Gas officially costs more than milk lol.

Quit complaining though. Not that it's cheap, but I just paid $1.27 a liter. That's equal to $4.91 a gallon (U.S.)

They say it's going to get worse before it gets better, too.

BTW just a random fact, this is the 14th day in a row that gas prices have increased.

posted by  chris_knows

87 octane in NFLD - $1.38per L

20 bucks just took my buick from 1/8 tank to about 1/4 tank :tomato:

posted by  nighthawk

You guys are a bunch of monkeys lol i owna 98 2 door cavalier that was a 2.2 but not is a 3.8 superchraged and it runs 11.5 1/4 mile .... damn monkeys

posted by  acerman007

well... glad you showed up... :fu:

posted by  dodger65

4.35 for 93 octane here...and i only get in the mid 20s mpg wise

posted by  newyorker

I own a 2007 2 door Supra with a 7.6L engine with an electric supercharger and it runs 4.3 in the quarter mile at 519 mph.

My grandma's BMW M6 can beat you...

posted by  chris_knows

Your Gran has an M6? :laughing: :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Midlife crisis lol

posted by  chris_knows

Hmmm... You point out that it's a two door, which doesn't matter at all, yet you neglect to mention exactly what you've done to it to make it run mid 11's. 3.8 w/ a supercharger isn't much info. If I'm not mistaken a pulley and a tune will only bring you to 300ish hp.

My car ran a negative 13 second quarter. Yeah, that's right, so fast it went back in time.

See, it's not hard to be an intranet tough guy with da fastest car evah.

posted by  giant016

mine went negative 14-- that's right, even farther back in time... :laughing: :orglaugh: :orglaugh:

posted by  dodger65

Does everyone love reading old threads as much as me?

posted by  Enthusiast

I've read this one a few times, and it still amazes me how pathetic some people are. What is even more amazing is when you view who's online, there is almost always one of the spiders viewing this thread. I wonder how many people Google "cavalier supercharger"

posted by  dvdrose18

Probably quite a few cause I know GM used to (not sure if they make it anymore) a supercharger kit for the cavalier.

posted by  Enthusiast

$3.00 is cheap gas... where can I get some?

posted by  kj21

Buy a Chrysler lol. They got that $2.99 gas deal or something.

posted by  chris_knows

Yes, but then you are paying way to much on a car that will be worth nothing in 3 years. chryslers are junk, would never buy one just to get cheaper gas, that STILL isnt cheap

posted by  bullrage2003

Yah and a taurus is much better, and dont worry I work on those cars all day so nothing you can say will change my mind.

Although almost any car that is PROPERLY maintained will last a LONG LONG time the problem is people live outside their means and they either buy cars they can make the payments on but not afford maintenace, or they dont give a shit, or they are just to damn cheap.

People dont understand that yah 400 bucks here for preventative maintenace may seem bad now, but leave it, let somethign big fail and then its gonna be more. Or look at it this way, Keep a car in great shape and keep it til its paid off, then you have a car in great shape with no payments, just some up0keep here and there, is cheaper than upkeep and a new car payment.

And from my experience cars that nickel and dime people are more often than not the product of bad maintenace, some cars are excpetions though.

I have learned this first hand from working in the shop and the cars I grew up around.

My mom bought a 1995 dodge ram in 95 and 12 years later it had 31X,XXX miles and it ran like a DAMN champ. Stock tranny, stock engine stocke everything. The onyl thing we had to do besides regular mainteance was replace the exhaust and put a set of lifters in it when one of the collapsed at about 200K miles.

Then my pops bought a year or two old suburban in 98, me and him went through it and changed all the fluids hoses and any wear items, to the point were it was almost a brand new truck and then he just kept up his regular maintance, and in 2006 it had 290,000 miles and still ran awesome until a fence t-boned me haha. Stock tranny but rebuilt engine (just because my dad wanted more hp though)

posted by  Enthusiast

Ignorance, ignorance, and more ignorance. Let me guess, you don't have anything to back your claims up with, but your mom had one and the engine blew, which makes all Chryslers junk.

posted by  giant016

hey dont be knocking on cavaliers...i got a 2002 z24 5spd 4 dor and runs 15's and i have the slips to prove it...bone stock. and i wish i could throw a cobalt supercharger on it...but i still think there will be alot of bullshit to go through in order to do it

posted by  02cavvyz24

god i hate j-bodies

posted by  DARKtEAGLE

The Supercharger found in the Cobalt SS could not be used with the 2.2L Ecotec as the Supercharger is for a 2.0L ecotec. I have seen some aftermarket kits for the 2.4L OHC ("Quad 4").

posted by  cav_rider666

welcome back to a question that was asked 3 years ago...

posted by  dodger65

lmao ok look love the gm products however idt cavalier can beat or keep up wit cobalt ss i had the cavalier n have the ss n no way n sides my ss keeps up wit my dads vette n beats friends 08 gt mustang n i got intake torque damper short shifter muffler n i tuned it wit hp tunners n my cousins smokes vettes n gtos n all he has all bolt ons around n does mid 13's

posted by  dmi motorsports

haha you sound like me when i first came here. :wink2:

posted by  99integra

hey im lookin int buying a 97 cavalier its not the z24 or anything special its a 5 speed and the 2 door model im not sure what engine it has and i was just wondering what would be the best way to make it faster i ordered an intake for it and cosmetic stuff but idk what to do with the engine

posted by  soicybaby23

Your Message