nova

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  nova

can i swap the engine of a 1988 chevy nova with a more powerfull engine like a v6 or v8

posted by  DanTheMan76

inst the 88 a front wheel drive?

posted by  adamc44

Yes....and one of the biggest mistakes GM ever made. :banghead:

posted by  SlipKnoT

why it is an auto trans if that helps

posted by  DanTheMan76

I feel more proud of my 73 V8 rear wheel drive.... :laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  sandlercd_22

I guess you could try and swap in a GM 3100 or 3400 V6....maybe even a Quad 4.

posted by  SlipKnoT

what does front wheel drive mean also if i swapped the engine would i have to change anthing else

posted by  DanTheMan76

if you swap that engine send me some pics cause i just dont see it happening

posted by  adamc44

Just wondering, would an 80's Cadillac Eldorado engine fit (since they were FWD and V8)?

posted by  car_crazy89

actually, i think isuzu helped them make that mistake... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

i don't know if anyone would ever INTENTIONALLY put a caddy 4.1/4.5/4.9 in anything... :2cents:

posted by  dodger65

Actually, they are starting to be pretty popular in Fieros and other mid engine sports car swaps, as they are dirt cheap, and very small/light/compact engines that respond to traditional hotrodding modifications.

As for the Nova, it's just a Corolla, which means that the 4AGE DOHC engine from the early MR2/FX16 is a bolt in, and the later versions from the MR2 and MR2 turbo can be swapped in relatively easily. And, a lot of TRD parts for Corollas and MR2s can be utilized.

posted by  ChrisV

Dude... swap in a 3800SC ... one of the best GM V-6s... makes a fiero do 10 secs... im sure itll be a good swap for you...

posted by  TheFieroKid

if i put in a 3800SC where would i find performance parts for it?

posted by  DanTheMan76

Every fing where... the 3800SC is like one of the most popular fiero swapps... and its the engine in the grand prix gtp...

posted by  TheFieroKid

this may sound dumb but can you tell me a website or something

posted by  DanTheMan76

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

posted by  99integra

also, what else would i have to buy if for the 3800sc engine swap to work?

posted by  DanTheMan76

http://www.fastfieros.com/enginesavailable/enginesforsale.htm

posted by  TheFieroKid

Trans that will handel the power... I dont know yours just might work... also youll probably need to make some engine brackets... hmmm... a wireing harness for your car... pretty simple stuff.

posted by  TheFieroKid

can i buy this after i buy the engine http://www.design1systems.com/turbo/index.html

posted by  DanTheMan76

ya... there wouldnt be a problem with that... but you do know the 3800sc has a supercharger right?

That turbo kit is for a fiero... but yes you could get a turbo... but youd have to make sure the whole intake was capable of using all that air...

posted by  TheFieroKid

would i have to buy a new cold air intake also the trans engine brackets etc... would i buy them for the nova or fiero

posted by  DanTheMan76

Why not? It wouldn't be an advertisement, but legitimate help.

posted by  ChrisV

also what website has those extra parts i need to swap the engine

posted by  DanTheMan76

First youd get intake for the car its goin into... or make it your self.

There probably isnt a web site... youll have to go to a mechinest and have it made.

with fieros their popular enough that people make v-8 kits, or 3800 kits... but with a nova Im not sure if there is... thats gonna take some research on your end to find out.

posted by  TheFieroKid

how about the engine brackets and trans and wiring harness etc where can i find those

posted by  DanTheMan76

Engine brackets... youll have to have made... or make your self... how good of a welder are you?

Trans... well what trans came with the nova... It might be able to bolt right up to the 3800sc... if not... a getrag 5 speed is always a good choice... mines out of a chevy bretta.

youll use the wireing harness that comes with the engine... but youll need a wiring diagram for the nova... to know what wires are what, so that you can hook the novas wires to the correct wires on the harnnes.

Again an engine swap is NOT the easiest thing in the world... but its far from impossible... I suggest doing lots and lots of research... learn how to weld... learn how to read a wireing diagram... or gettting someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you... a shop should only charge you for time... if you have all the parts. An engine swap can be done in 3, 8 hour days... so do the math and find out what your local shop will charge you.

posted by  TheFieroKid

my car is automatic so what do i do

posted by  DanTheMan76

Thats fine... find out what transmission it is... thats the first step.
Then find out if it can handel 260hp... if not either have it rebuilt to handel that power... or buy a chevy trans that will.

if you dont know how to drive a manual... you dont have to swap in a manual trans... I just prefur them...

Just keep in mind... that depending on what trans you get... and where the motor mounts... you may need to have your local axel shop make you customs... its a pain in the ass (i have custom axels too) but it worth it for the extra power... dont be cheap when it comes to this... pay top dollar for every thing... when it comes to machinests... you get what you pay for.

posted by  TheFieroKid

is there some way to convert it to manual

posted by  DanTheMan76

ya... of course... but its a bit invovled... but if your gonna go through the trouble of converting the engine... you might as well.

posted by  TheFieroKid

I hope if you want to do this, that you really love your car, because otherwise, I would definitely pick up a used GTP with a supercharged 3.8 already. It won't be a stick, but it will cost you about the same as your nova plus the money for parts and the money for your time or your mechanics. Not to mention it will be a much newer/nicer car with room for wider grippier tires. Just a thought. If you love it and you want the only 3.8 boosted Nova around, here is your chance. GL :thumbs: .

posted by  VG30DE

ya... of course... but its a bit invovled... but if your gonna go through the trouble of converting the engine... you might as well.

posted by  TheFieroKid

fine i wont convert it but please tell me a website that has all these parts i have been trying for hours

posted by  DanTheMan76

Are you retarded?

You double posted :screwy:

posted by  99integra

also besides the website for the nova parts, i posted it earlier, i found out my car is a sedan and has a 1.6L I4 2 BBL engine with about like 69 horsepower! it has 3 speed automatic transmissionhttp://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4 5245&prmenbr=361 would this transmission work?

posted by  DanTheMan76

Seriously... this is not even within the realm of reality. Our original poster didn't even know what front wheel drive was when this started. I'd say he/she has about 5 years of familiarizing themselves with basic automotive functions before any kind of engine swap is going to occur.

posted by  Bino

But don't get me wrong... it's still a cool idea... but this thread isn't going to end with completion pics.

posted by  Bino

but if he has enough money :wink2: , he can bring it over and i'll swap it.... :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

I concur... hell I can do it... But if your not a fast learner… I suggest paying someone to do it…

Dan you don’t seem to be getting this... there are no web sites that will have the dog bones (engine braces), wiring harnesses, custom axels ext.. Because no one has done a nova swap... and if they have they haven’t shared.

No I would not suggest using your stock trans... When you get your engine especially if you get it out of an old Junker GTP... take the trans out too, the Fieros Isuzu trans will work as well for this application.

First thing you’ll have to lower the engine into the compartment with a engine crane... keep it where you want it and measure...
Measure how long and what shape you have to make your engine brackets... measure the length of the axels you’ll need.
Then go to your local machine shop and have them made.

Again this isnt a Fiero, Trans Am, Camero, S-10... so there isnt going to be any one selling kits.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Must have been a glitch with the softwear... i only clicked post once.

posted by  TheFieroKid

what do i have to buy to convert the transmission to manual?

posted by  DanTheMan76

this is exactly what i meant on page one.

posted by  adamc44

Your Message