Suggestions on tuning a ford focus

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Suggestions on tuning a ford focus

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE. I know some basic tuning options, but i am looking to do more work than just bolt-ons. Any suggestions on how to approach this. I thought first to get a manual transmission, but give me some tips.

posted by  PNKschizm

I dont know what exactly you want to do with the car but the first things that come to mind are turbo and supercharger. Personally I would go all motor. Nothings better than having a high horsepower engine thats naturally aspirated

posted by  bigdaveangell

All motor is a good way to go now i need suggestions on how to go about that. What should i do to get the highest horsepower?

posted by  PNKschizm

Hmm. is the SE a Zetec or the Split port motor? Either way, you have plenty of options available to you ( I have a freind with an SVT focus, a brother with a ZX3 and another friend with the ZTS, so needless to say, I like focuses, or foci, whatever...) I would check out FocusCentral, and JBA they make relativley cheap performance parts for the focus. And if your willing to spend a little more money check out cosworth.

posted by  Zalight

Yes it is a Zetec engine. Yes i like my focus to it holds up damn well to my hard driving. Now its time to treat it to some new parts and get it faster. I was thinking about an engine swap and dropping a 289 in there but i don't know if it would fit.

posted by  PNKschizm

LOL, It would fit, they have a Cobra R swap for $40k....But anyway, I f I were you I would just squeeze some more power outta the Zetech. If you get a Focus central long tube header (Delets cat, so if you have emmissions you may have to get just the shorty header from JBA) ,an after market flex pipe, a borla (best sound in my opinion very throaty kinda V8 like) exhaust, a cold air intake ( aem v2 is very good) You would gain about 20 whp. Then get an EGR delete kit and an ECU (at the same time, otherwise you will get a check engine light without the ecu) maybe some cam gears, and youll have another 10 whp and amazing throttle response with a better torque curve. Then you start getting into the big power adders, like cams, Maybe an SVT head and intake manifold.

yeah, you have plenty of options.

Not to mention the super chargers out there for your car, Vortech, Cosworth, powerworks, etc.

Poke your nose around www.focaljet.com, they have a lot of very knowledgable focus fans and sponsors and the like.

posted by  Zalight

All motor would be a dumb way to go if you want serious performance. A $2500-$3000 turb o kit could raise your crank power to around 220-230hp (something an N/A Focus could with maybe $8k-$10k invested). So why go N/A? A good number of companies make great turbo kits for the Focus. If all you want is a little more power than just do the bolt ons.

turbokits.com is one.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Lol bolt ons are not what i'm looking for... Actually i was wondering opinion on turbo charging a bored out 2 liter to a 2.2. Whats some suggestions on boring how far to bore or something like that. I was also wondering what i could expect to get HP wise out of boring the engine out. And i want to build the car to take about 12lbs of boost so i know forged pistons and rods new crankshaft but what else should i do to build the block stronger.

posted by  PNKschizm

going all motor is more of a challenge than forced induction. I dont know about on the focus but on most cars it doesent cost 8 - 10 grand to get 230 hp from an all motor engine.

posted by  bigdaveangell

The only reason I suggested bolt-ons, is because you mentioned you wanted to stay N/AThe best Idea if you want N/A would be bolt-ons, and a big bore, cams headwork, etc.

If you're willing to go FI, look into Superchargers, they are a lot cheaper for your car than turbo kits, and you will have a lot more options.

posted by  Zalight

If youre going to go FI look at both superchargers and turbos. Superchargers are more reliable but turbos can make alot more power

posted by  bigdaveangell

An Iceman cold air intake would be a good start :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

an intake is an intake. There really is no difference other than cai or wai

posted by  bigdaveangell

I dont know about boring out the 2.0L. Check around and see how far it can be bored (.2L overbore seems a bit high on a 2.0L engine...you might be able to get a tenth of liter though).

Boring your engine wont increase power much...as much as a bolt on probably. It offers more revving power however.

You probably dont need to b uild the engine to run 12lbs of boost if it's tuned correctly and what size turbo you're looking for. I suggest getting a turbo kit with a T3/04 hybrid turbo and starting out at 7-8psi and going from there. That should net you 60-80hp alone at least. Not to mention the massive torque increase you'll get (something you'll never get N/A).

Wow you dont know anything...

Try taking the Ford 110hp 2.0L and DOUBLING its power to 220hp N/A only...It's almost next to impossible and when all is said and done and if it DOES happen to get that high it's practically undrivable around town (As redline is closing into probably 10,000 rpms) and the cost was at least $8k-$10k in building the entire engine with ALL the best components.

Sure it's not that hard to take a underpowered V6/I6 to 230hp all motor. Because you have more displacement to work with usually than a I4... Or even a K20a2 from it's stock 200hp to 220-230hp N/A.

Put it in this terms. Try taking a brand new GT Mustang with it's 4.6L SOHC 3v motor from its stock 300hp all the way to 600hp NATURALLY ASPIRATED. You see what you're working with now?

And the survey says - WRONG.

If there is no difference in 8whp gained and 18whp gained then you have a problem. Because thats what the difference is in power gained between a short ram and cold air intake on a K20a2.

If you read my whole post I said that the only difference is between CAI and WAI and the difference wont be great on most cars. Dont believe everything you hear. Do you have dyno sheets proving that increase.

posted by  bigdaveangell

Like I said, I dont know how much it would cost on a ford focus but on my cavalier with a 2.2L for around 3K I can double the horsepower from around 100 to 200 NA

posted by  bigdaveangell

Man a 4.6L mustang is a 351 It can easily bored out to a 374. That is a pretty large displacement increase right there. Also when your working with V8s the tuning options are a lot easier. And if you think its a lot of money to tune a 4 cylinder double hp then you really don't know that much. Computer chips have made it possible to easily double horsepower. Thats why i am working on tuning with chips first. Build the engine to take power and then build the engine with power. and then when i choose to turbo i'll laugh at your mustang as im puttin out that much naturally aspirated. 8k is not needed to make a car double hp now that computers are involved considering they control fuel ratio timing air fuel mixture temperature your burning the fuel at shifting and etc. Please know something about a car before you try speaking of which you do not know. Thats y i don't like civics anymore, is because little kids think if they put a turbo and nitrous in the back they can beat anything on the street. Grow up and learn how to tune a car then talk. Thats y i come on these forums to learn more, i just suggest listening to those who know what they are talking about for a while

posted by  PNKschizm

Also just because it says 8 hp on paper doesn't mean it is... If i go by paper readings i would have quadriple my horsepower in about 1000 dollars. Hit the dyno up talk to some real technicians and engineers and then learn through experience... its the best way to do it and it teaches you a lot. Also don't insult people on here for their opinions/misconceptions. And until you can tell me exactly how an F1 shifting transmission works (such as in the BMW M5) i wouldn't suggest insulting someone who knows how to build one from the pieces of scrap on the ground.

posted by  PNKschizm

I have to agree with you on some of the stuff you said but you obviously dont know what youre talking about. You cant chip an OBD2 car and using a chip wont double your horsepower

posted by  bigdaveangell

I never said a chip could double hp i just stating that a chip can give a large horsepower gain. and also the more you bolt on and improve a car the more the chip can help. I was not trying to imply a single chip will double hp hell no.

posted by  PNKschizm

Dude they make diablo chips for almost every car out there to retard timing change fuel ratios and so on... EVERY car almost has a chip. And if it doesn't go to the dealer and i gaurantee they can find u one that works.

posted by  PNKschizm

Show me a chip for almost every car. A dealer wont chip your car and wont sell a chip. Show me a dealer that does that

posted by  bigdaveangell

5.0 = 302
5.7 = 350
lol do the math.
4.6 < 302

posted by  VG30DE

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/daveangell/jesus_owned.jpg

posted by  bigdaveangell

if you have the money... ROUSH IT OUT!!

posted by  collareddrifter

I'm afraid you both will be in for a shock. A chip is not a performance modification in it's own right, it's a calibration device. It only gives a horsepower gain if the calibration before that is wrong.

From http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/chip.htm

Anyways I rather get a proper self programmable ECU if I were to build a performance engine as you can easily change the settings yourself.

posted by  fudge

Actually a 4.6L V8 is only a 281 I think. If even that, I think it might be lower.

posted by  SlipKnoT

most five liters are either 289s or 302s, alright so a chip is not a performance part in itself ,but yes any dealer will get u a computer chip considering i'm in indiana and Volkswagon dealers can get me ford comp chips and install them. And most cars from factory are detuned to make economic. So reworking the ECU and timing and all can give a nice horsepower increase. and about showing you dealers that will get a chip. Just go ask one they'll grab one for ya.

posted by  PNKschizm

If you go to the dealer of your specific make (pontiac ford and so on) they will get you any performance options they support. Such as ford supports steeda, AEM, diablo, and a few others. OH and the ownage is denied

posted by  PNKschizm

Except an even higher horsepower engine thats forcefully inducted.

Its a four banger, its not gonna get HUGE numbers N/A.

posted by  Oomba

On an obd2 computer you cant put a chip in. The only thing you can do is re program it

posted by  bigdaveangell

They'll replace the chip not re program

posted by  PNKschizm

Your Message