Need a new car so here's what I'm looking for

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Need a new car so here's what I'm looking for

Need a car which uses regular gas

dual air bags and relatively safe

Wont be in the shop much.

Looking for a regular car

Something that should have no problem passing other cars in a bi directional highway with each one lane going opposite.

Looking to spend under 13k if at all possible, I think an 00 or 01 should do.

Doesn't matter the make as long as it's not known for lemon quality.

What am I looking for? I need something with a little juice, (my old explorer xlt was way way way too underpowered to do anything on the highways, too many close calls) but want to keep the cost again around 12k

posted by  MGT333

I know you posted this in the domestics but get an accord. you can get a 98-02 model 4 cylinder for around 7-9 grand a v6 for 10-12 grand. And a Honda will be reliable. It will be smaller than your explorer. Also you will save money on gas. And if you want you can get plenty of aftermarket parts for it pretty cheap and make it faster. Also they have a 4 star crash rating.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Ok what kind of juice does a 4 cylinder accord have vs a 4.0L v6 explorer xlt ?

posted by  MGT333

Well since obivously you want power id recommend the Accord EX.
150 Hp
2.3 Liter
152lb ft torque

If you want alittle more speed go with the coupe..its lighter
If you want more room go with the sedan.

Its obivously gonna fly past that explorer.
I believe the EX's have a 0-60 time of about 8 secs.
Compared to prob about 10+ for the explorer.

I have a 96 Accord LX. You may think a 4 cylinder won't have pick up and it will be slow. Mines a 2.2L and its fast for a 4 cylinder. Everyone who gets in swears its V6

The 4 cylinder is a fwd so you will have good handling in bad road conditions (snow, ice, etc.) since your prob used to 4x4.

Anything else you would like to know can easily be found at cars.com. Jsut click on research and then year model and trim. Ill also answer questions.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

I agree, they are known for good handling, power, and incredible price. Also, if you want to juice it up, it is perfect.

posted by  xlrated

What about the V6 if you can afford one? The 98-02 V6 has 200hp, and is noticeably faster than the 150hp 2.3L I4 model of the same years. And if you ever want to really have fun with it you can add in the Comptech supercharger ($4k) which brings up the stock 200hp to about 270hp on a stock motor.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/sc_av6_2002.html - Supercharger

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/694052 - V6

posted by  thunderbird1100

How much would the 98 V6 Accord cost though? I'm guessing a pretty penny. :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

'02 EX V6 Sedan - 67k miles, $12,995
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=189891818&dealer_id=56963829&c ar_year=2002&model=ACCORD&bkms=1131167691639&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1998& certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&first_record=76&make=HONDA&min_pric e=&sponsorModel=&address=30281&advanced=&end_year=2002&pager.offset=75&max_ price=&cardist=25

'01 EX V6 Coupe - 54k miles, $10,750 > good find
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190418921&dealer_id=56898092&c ar_year=2001&model=ACCORD&bkms=1131167691639&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1998& certified=&search_type=both&distance=25&first_record=76&make=HONDA&min_pric e=&sponsorModel=&address=30281&advanced=&end_year=2002&pager.offset=75&max_ price=&cardist=16

My guess is you could find a 98-99 EX V6 Coupe with about 80-100k on it for around $9,000.

Not bad price at all, if you got the money. I'll stick to an early 90's accord with a 95 Mustang GT lol. Maybe even do somethin to the sound system in the accord like yours :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

Toyota Corolla. You could probably get a new one for your budget, too.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Why a smaller cloth base Corolla with no features over a loaded out V6 leather Accord that's only 3-4 years old, FOR LESS too. I dont tihnk you can find a new Corolla for $13k that's ANY decent. Much less $10k.

Except that the MSRP is 14k.. Why would it be hard to find one for 13k?

posted by  PontiacFan27

It's not an American car, they aren't easy to get $3k-$4k off msrp. Plus, that wasn't my point, my point was WHY get a base no features new Corolla over a loaded leather V6 Accord when you can get the Accord for less and PRACTICALLY new.

You must really suck at math. The difference between 13k and 14k is 1k, not 3-4.

posted by  PontiacFan27

God you're a dumbass. I wasn't referring to that!

I was referring to the price of the loaded out leather V6 Accords I found. The Coupe being ONLY $10,750. Significantly thousands cheaper than getting a NEW base Corolla AFTER taxes and title. And those aren't the cheapest prices I found.

Just an FYI - But I didn't get into and mostly through Calculus II so far "sucking at math". :thumbs:

It doesn't seem that easy to find a fully loaded Accord V6 Coupe for around 10k...
http://autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=y&bkms=1131268074150&c ertified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=HONDA&sponsorModel=& model=ACCORD&make2=sel_one&start_year=2003&end_year=2006&min_price=1&max_pr ice=11000&max_mileage=&distance=0&address=22454&engine=6+Cylinder&fuel=&dri ve=&transmission=Manual&doors=Two+Door&color=&x=85&y=1

posted by  nsupra27

The V6 accord would be a great deal at 10K. It's both fast and reliable. Definately an improvement to that big clunker Explorer you had.

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

I found over 2000 98-02 Accords within 50 miles of my old zip code and that one i posted was the first EX-V6 coupe I found found for pretty cheap with low mileage. There were a good 20-30 more below that price.

Over 2000 within 50 miles? Wow. I did a search for 98-02 Accords within any distance of my zip and found a total of 3,029.
http://autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=y&bkms=1131307693930&c ertified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=HONDA&model=ACCORD&m ake2=sel_one&start_year=1998&end_year=2002&min_price=1&max_price=10000&max_ mileage=&distance=0&address=22456&engine=&fuel=&drive=&transmission=&doors= &color=&sponsorModel=&x=126&y=9

posted by  nsupra27

Well since everyone is doing I thought I should. I got 3,031 thats enough to make me want to go get a job and buy my first car!

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

My zip code includes all of metro/suburbia Atlanta (over 3 million people) and some of Macon.

haha My search included all of the Dallas and Fort Worth metroplex :smoke:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Well according to your locaton, you say you live on the Louisiana State University campus, which the zip code is 70803 or 70808, and doing a simple search, I found 3,027 results within any distance, and 3 within 50 miles.

posted by  nsupra27

My old Zip code (I just moved to BR, but go back and forth from here and Atlanta). I forgot to type that in the second post when responding to you. Which is part of a suburban part of Atlanta (but includes Atlanta).

BTW - Campus Zipcode is 70802, at least where I am.

And yeah, you wont find many in a city of only 210k people.

I still don't understand how you found over 2000 within 50 miles of where ever you are, even if it does include a few other places. When I did the searches, I searched "Within Any Distance," which is the whole United States I believe.

posted by  nsupra27

Because my search area was within the area of already 5-6 million people. Bound to find just 2000 Accords...

I think what he's trying to get at was that you found 2000 Accords in your two zip codes, and he found 3000 accords in the entire US. that would mean only 1000 for every other zipcode combined, including major metro areas like NY, LA, Seattle, Boston, etc... It doesn't surprise you to find 2000 for those two zipcodes, but there wouldn't be more than 1000 total for all of the rest of the US?

Just trying to state a littel clearer what he was trying to say.

Not that I really care, in this case.

posted by  ChrisV

They must not drive in Chicago, LA, New York, Miami, Washington DC, or any other major city.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message