1984 mustang gt turbo help

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1984 mustang gt turbo help

im thinking about geting a 1984 mustang gt turbo and i was wondering whats the gas mileage is and the 0-60 time

posted by  sandman5000

I don't believe they make a turbo version, I googled it and nothing came up, so I have no idea how to answer your question

posted by  jedimario

Yes, they had a GT Turbo 2.3. They also had a SVO turbo 2.3.

posted by  thunderbird1100

as in 2.3 L engines?

posted by  jedimario

Yes, the Ford 2.3 8v I4 motor. Made it N/A and turbo.

The GT Turbo in 84 had 145hp while the SVO had 175hp.

A year later the SVO had 205hp from the same 2.3T engine.

N/A I think the 2.3 never made anymore than 105-110hp.

wow that's sad

posted by  jedimario

Welcome to the power crisis of the early-mid 80s.

The 205hp SVO though had some serious go (think of a car that could hang with/beat a stock S13 Silvia w/ a SR20DET). They weighed right under 3000lbs and with 205hp it would certainly run with much later 87-93 5.0's, and beat them. It's almost impossible though today to find any 2.3 Turbo mustang on the streets. I've seen one in 4 years (a SVO). You'll find a lot of 2.3 Mustangs on the dirt/circle tracks though.

Well I have no idea what those are except that the Silvia is a Nissan.

posted by  jedimario

JDM Silvia = 240SX but with a SR20DET

I had no idea the mustang ever came with a 2.3 turbo

posted by  bigdaveangell

Oh yeah. Remember no V6 was around for the Mustang in the 80s. They just had the 4.2/4.9 V8 and 2.3 I4.

The SVO cars really aren't all that quick. Yeah, they could go mid to low 15's depending on driver and altitude. I've driven a few and the boost comes up fast which is always nice, but the turbo and cam combination kinda falls on it's face after 4500rpm. Ford didn't produce a 4.9L V8...while technically speaking, the 5.0 really was closer to a 4.9L in displacement, it would have been nonsensical for them to call it a 4.9 when they already had a 4.9 straight six in production.

As for gas mileage, I don't see why you couldn't get 27+ mpg on the high way if you can keep out of the boost and you should be able to get in the low 6 second range on the way to 60mph.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I agree, it would of been funny though to see all the 4.9 badges all over the Mustang instead of 5.0. Good marketing move Ford :thumbs:

Have you ever driven/seen the 16v DOHC head swap for the 8v SOHC 2.3? Suppossedly it opens up about 30-35hp.

I've heard of that swap but have yet to see one or drive one. I'd like to see one with a late model 5-speed auto behind it...that would keep that engine boiling. I almost bought an '87 Stang that had a '88 T/C engine/trans dropped in it and had a load of aftermarket goodies...the thing ran 14.1's in the quarter with an abominable 2.8 60' time. Too bad I missed on that deal.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

the 3.8 V6 was offered in mustangs from 83-86...

i had an 83 w/ one---kinda peppy for a v6...

posted by  dodger65

Apparently the 4-cyl Mustangs are quite good for autocrossing. The lighter motor gives a better weight distribution and improves the handling. According to some guy that was autocrossing one anyway.

posted by  Bino

Damn, now that I think about it you're right. They had the enlarged 3.3 -> 3.8 by 83.

Hopefully yours was peppy because of the torque because the hp wasnt much higher than the 2.3 non-turbo. Did you havce a GL or GLX? At least you didnt catch the 3.3, had exactly as much hp as the 2.3!

hell if i know, it didn't have any emblems on it besides 2 ford ovals (one in the grille and one on the trunk...) :ohcrap: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

50 mile commute one way thru the worse of la traffic at the worse time
I get close to 20 mpg but i always have the turbo light on
I have had more cudas challengers roadrunners etc. than I can remember.
this car doesn't even come close to that. the turbo does trippy things lag and the idle freaks out a little it is cold in the morning and it looks wierd. but my 440 4 speed 4 wheel drive trail duster is really bad on gas. this 700 dollar car is pretty damn cool 312 made glad I got one they were all 5 speeds.
turbo pinto power !
e me for pics

posted by  mrnone

read the date....don't think hes going to get back to you....:doh:

posted by  salimander13

Your Message