1989 Buick Park Avenue: Trouble starting

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1989 Buick Park Avenue: Trouble starting

I have a 1989 automatic, 6 cylinder, Buick Park Avenue. It has about 120,000 miles on it and when I bought it( a year ago) it was in excellent condition. About two months ago whenever I would drive the car up steep hills it would go into convulsions. I got a tip from someone that it might be the fuel filter. Well it wasn't. I started driving in a different drive gear and it didn't have a problem. Then recently the car has been having starting troubles. It takes a few times to start the car and sometimes a big popping noise comes out. It seems that the car is idoling a bit low when stopped as well. I keep up with oil changes. Do you have any ideas. My guess is the fuel pump, or maybe it just needs an idle adjustment. I'm just taking a guess.

posted by  Pops3

[QUOTE=Pops3]I have a 1989 automatic, 6 cylinder, Buick Park Avenue. It has about 120,000 miles on it and when I bought it( a year ago) it was in excellent condition. About two months ago whenever I would drive the car up steep hills it would go into convulsions. I got a tip from someone that it might be the fuel filter. Well it wasn't. I started driving in a different drive gear and it didn't have a problem. Then recently the car has been having starting troubles. It takes a few times to start the car and sometimes a big popping noise comes out. It seems that the car is idoling a bit low when stopped as well. I keep up with oil changes. Do you have any ideas. My guess is the fuel pump, or maybe it just needs an idle adjustment. I'm just taking a guess.

posted by  Pops3

check the fuel pressure first...

posted by  dodger65

Thanks for the tip. Do you know how I should do that?

posted by  Pops3

you'll need a proper gauge, 0-100psi and the proper schrader fitting to hook onto the fuel rail, if you dont find problems there i would be leaning more toward ignition problems, those cars are infamous for crankshaft position sensors going bad and the ignition modules crapping out when the car gets hot, if you havent already had to replace those items, i can guarantee you'll need those two parts before your done with the car.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message