rich idle and exhust

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  rich idle and exhust

I own a 94 ford tempo gl, 4 cyc., automatic, 105876 kms. When I start my car after sitting for awhile I get I rich gas smell that grow faint after a few minutes of running. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the erg valvue ? Well running if you listen to the exhust, it sounds like it hic-ups I guess would be the best way to put it, because it sounds like it about to back fire but doesn't. I have a tune up done, not long ago, replacing everything from the plugs, wires, d. cap, pcv, to thermostat and air filter. Could the erg be causing this too ? Or what ? I am worried about the rich idle because I just replaced the cat. convertor, and heard the rich gas kills it's life. The second question I have is that I just the the cat. convertor, straight pipe, and muffler replaced. I thought all all this was to quiet exhust noise. However when driving the exhust sounds loud inside the car by the engine, and at the muffler. It's like a rumbling noise. What could cause this ? Could it just be a cheap muffler ? Or what ....? any suggestions on how I could fix any of the problems would be nice. thanks.

posted by  sean_hawn19

for the gas smell... does it run rough at idle, then clear up and smooth out once you start driving? if so, pull the vacuum hose for the fuel pressure regulator (little silver canister at passenger side of intake) off of the intake, put your thumb over the nipple on the intake, and see if gas comes out of the hose w/ the car running. that would mean the regulator is bad...

as far as the noise--it could be caused by the engine misfiring and running rough. if you fix the misfire problem and it's still loud, take it back to the exhaust shop that did the work. they should be able to tell you why it sounds loud--that's their job. :thumbs: it's probably the spring loaded flange in front of the converter...

posted by  dodger65

it does run rough at idle, especially in drive stopped at a light the whole car shakes would this be caused by the fuel regulator ? also what would cause the car to misfire or run rough, since I had the plugs, wires, d. cap, idle air control valvue, air filter, pcv valvue, thermostat, fuel filter changed ? could that be the erg or does that only kick in when driving, that's what I was told I don't know ???

posted by  sean_hawn19

well, if the regulator goes bad in the manner that i described, it will pump raw fuel (more than it can burn off) into the #1 intake runner and make it misfire, but it will kinda clear up once you rev it up. the egr is only supposed to open at driving speeds, if it sticks open, it will produce kind of a general roughness... as opposed to a consistent single cylinder misfire. but check the regulator first, b/c that only takes a minute and you don't have to take anything apart...

posted by  dodger65

how much effort does it take to get the vaccum hose off the fuel pump regulator. I tried pulling it but it didn't even start to move. I am worried it would break, could it be corroded on ?

posted by  sean_hawn19

is your check engine light on?

posted by  carlos

no, the light if off

posted by  sean_hawn19

twist it back and forth a little bit, then pull it off. once you get it to twist freely, it should come right off...

posted by  dodger65

Your Message