I saw this GTO the other day....

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  I saw this GTO the other day....

It was a new one. It has a 6.0 badge on the back. Can you really get them with a 6.0, or is someone just triing to trick everybody?

posted by  jedimario

Or maybe he put a 6.0 in it already :2cents:

posted by  99integra

I'll wait for someone to stuff a LS7 in it. Then you could go with a 7.0 badge on the back.

posted by  Oomba

Well, they're putting 6L in the commodore over here, and that's where the GTO comes from...

posted by  windsonian

Yes, the 2004 GTO had the LS1 5.7 while the 2005 GTO has the 6.0L LS2.

posted by  thunderbird1100

dang that's big

posted by  jedimario

That's the American car-maker philosophy, if you dont have enough hp (And yes 350hp wasnt enough for the GTO) add displacement. And thats what GM did, they took out the 5.7L LS1 and stuffed in the new 6.0L LS2 making 400hp. What's kind of sad to me is Euro and Asian manufacturers can make power like that with a lot less displacement (called DOHC 4v/cylinder :thumbs: ). For instance the new 4.0L V8 from BMW is going to make the same 400hp as the GTO's 6.0L V8. But it has DOHC head w/ 32v while the LS@ is still using the 'ole OHV 16v.

Yeah I know that's their philosophy, but seriously, my dad's Titan only has a 5.6! How much do you need?

posted by  jedimario

As much as the people want. The GTO didnt sell for shit with the LS1 and 350hp. Sales picked up slightly with the new LS2 in it.

BTW - I'd rather have the 5.6 DOHC in the Titan than an LS2. Wonderful engine.

Well DOH!!! Let's see, Nissan or Pontiac?......
NISSAN

posted by  jedimario

Hmm? In what way?

Please name a Nissan that can go from 0-60 as fast as the new GTO can. And by this, I mean a street legal, stock Nissan.

posted by  hondaman

None. But who cares, all I want is the 5.6 DOHC. Possibly the entire truck :thumbs: Afterall it is the best half ton :mrgreen:

R34 Skyline :laughing:
300zx TT

posted by  99integra

You have no clue as to what "torque curve" is, do you? Or hp/dollar.

You know just enough to be f*cking dangerous.

How much higher COST is that BMW engine? How much physically LARGER overall is that BMW engine? The 4.0 loter DOHC 32 valve Toyota/Lexus 1UZ engine I have sitting here to go into my '63 Comet is physically larger than the pushrod 5 liter Ford, and about the same width as the 6 liter Chevy. But the 1UZ is the smallest DOHC V8 availble in modern cars. The BMW engine is MUCH larger.

posted by  ChrisV

Well, for one thing, the Pontiac is GM, plus they're all just ugly, except for the GTO, which is just plain.

posted by  jedimario

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and subject to each person's different interpretations...but what's the matter with GM?

posted by  hondaman

Well, it's not necisairily GM, I just don't like most of the cars that GM companies make, so I have a negative view of the whole company. I do like Saabs and Hummers, but that's pretty much it.

posted by  jedimario

Wow, preaching me more shit I already know. I wasn't comparing anything but engine statistics (again you blow this out and upstream, great job Chris :thumbs: ). I know DOHC 4v head designs make an engine weigh more than an OHV 2v design (and taller), I know it costs more to manufacture and I wasnt at any point trying to say they should shoehorn a 4.0L BMW DOHC V8 in a GTO (you really need to learn on the INTERPRETING skills)! WTF have you been on lately? You've been riding everyones ass for the past month or two. Mid-life crisis? Divorce? Whatever the hell it is keep the crap off these forums. No one appreciates it.

Sure I know what torque curve is, its when you keep posting non-sense shit like this and someone comes over and kicks you in the ass so hard and makes a somewhat elliptical pattern of work with you flying in the air. I know all the dumbass basics of cars chris, you can save your breath and just stop posting to me altogether, it would save your time and mine. Maybe while you do this you can go back in the closet and figure out where you hijacked the old Chris and stored him.

Until then, if you post to me again, I simply put a smily up everytime you do to at least make your whiny day somewhat happy any worthwhile.

What ChrisV was trying to say is looking at displacement does not give you the whole picture. While you are just throwing displacement and HP numbers around, that doesn't tell you what motor is ultimately better. There are more things to consider.

Yeah yeah, I know you know all this stuff. You've repeated it often in the past few days. So if you know all this stuff then why aren't you telling it to people in a complete argument instead of just giving them half the picture?

Inquiring minds want to know.

posted by  theman352001

I was just stating asian and euro manufacturers make more power per displacement with their DOHC 4v head designs over the typical American (more-so GM) OHV 2v standard...wasnt trying to say one engine is that much better over the other, just using it as a numbers only benchmark.

But if you don't look at all the numbers then the question is "so what?". When that DOHC motor weighs more than the OHV motor the extra HP is going towards moving that heavier motor so what's the point?

Fact is, making HP is a game of give-and-take. If you make the same HP from a smaller motor, you have to give up something. So while the imports may have a higher HP/Displacement ratio, they are lacking somewhere else.

I'm not saying DOHC is bad or good. It's just another way to skin the cat. (mmmmm cat :drool: ) (sorry :laughing: ).

posted by  theman352001

Your Message