Turbo

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Turbo

I only have a quick quesiton for yall. If i would buy a ES Stealth could i put in a twin turbo so i would be like the R/T. Just a thout. It would be a lot cheaper to buy but then i would have to pay the price of 2 turbos and
2 coolers.

posted by  stevenbob0

1 turbo is more efficient

posted by  99integra

In the long run, it probably would not be cheaper to do the conversion. But I'm sure there are companies that make aftermarket turbocharger or supercharger kits. It may be worth looking into a bolt-on aftermarket supercharger kit if it's that big of a deal to you.

posted by  Bino

So you think that i sould just get 1 turbo. Why would it be better? I always thout the more the better.

posted by  stevenbob0

twin turbos help w/ turbo lag,at least thats what i read, theres a little 1 for low rpms, and a big 1 for high rpms, or something like that, im not an xpert. i just posted 2 post :)

posted by  Walt

Yes, it is, and a single turbo will flow more at a higher efficiency than two smaller units.

posted by  Bino

That's a sequential turbo system which was available on the RX7 TT, but not on the 3000GT or any other factory TT car I can think of off-hand.

posted by  Bino

OHHHHH, that would explain it, i used 2 read a lot about the RX-7, 1 of my favorite cars (and the NSX).
but im guessing different set ups work 4 different cars, like that tri-turbo slk and the quad turboed.. something 350z, skyline, or saleen i 4got.(again i like posting).

posted by  Walt

I wouldnt put the stock twins on. Get aftermarket better twins.

posted by  Oomba

So if the point of twin turbos isn't for lag then why would you use them. could i put sequential turbo in it ?????
O ya how much better acceleration do you get with AWD vers FWD

posted by  stevenbob0

You get much better acceleration from a launch with AWD, but you get better acceleration from a roll with 2WD.

posted by  Bino

What do you meen a roll? how fast of a roll 2mph is that good. Or is it more like 20mph

posted by  stevenbob0

Probably in the vicinity of 15-20mph, it obviously depends how much power you have, I've heard of Civics that you can't hook up at full throttle until past 80mph. A buddy of mine has a '70 Challenger that only requires your right foot to hit the floor in order to make smoke of the rear tires at any American speed limit.

But in general probably around 20mph.

posted by  Bino

Supra (1JZ and 2JZ engines), Skyline (all with TT's)....

posted by  Inygknok

yes and no... you will need to do more than just turbos and intercoolers... you need fuel pump, injectors, fuel controller, boost controller, boost gauge, an a/f or egt gauge would be nice too, wideband would be better, you also need tt headers, dp and exhaust... I think thats the min... oh, plugs and cables would be nice to... but if you use a stock na block you will not be able to run as much boost... you will be limited to only 5-7psi... if you want to do it the right way... you will also need, heads, forged pistons and crank...

I know a few 3si members that just put on the turbos... they are still pretty fast cars but no were near as fast as a fwd car with a vr4 engine. (since they can run more boost).

I say save the money... and get an RT/TT or VR4... it would be cheaper in the end... unless you have money to burn...

D.

PS: regarding the turbos... stock vr4 turbos (tdo4 9bs) would do just fine if you just want to put turbos on an ES... reason being is that why spend 2100 for a set of DR650s or 1700 for a set of 15Gs if you cant run more than 7 psi? 9bs are big enough... they hold about 9 psi to redline... (sad huh?) (you can make them boost higher... but as rmps increase, boost will drop to about 8-9 psi at redline...)

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

I'm quite sure that neither the Supra or Skyline were a sequential turbo system (but I could be wrong).

posted by  Bino

the SLK 320 CDI Tri-Turbo has 2 little turbos working first, and then they shut off and the big 1 turns on, sounds cool. BUt im im not sure of the validity of the stock part.

posted by  Walt

Sequentials are the shit, but I'd rather have a Supercharger and a Single.

posted by  Oomba

Your Message