1988 Mustang or 1995?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1988 Mustang or 1995?

Within the next few months maybe sooner I am going to buy a new car. I would like to know everyone's opinions on either of these. What I get will be a V8 and chances are a convertible as well. So if anyone could give me some advantages and disadvantages of both that'd be great. I know the 88' sound system sucks which I would really like to have a sound system but I have also heard the suspension on the 95 GT is horrible. So give me your opinion on either, and it will be one of these two no others I want it to be a 5.0.

Thanks in advance

posted by  Pythias

1995 is newer, so less weather worn. Probably has less miles. Looks better (imo), but the 88 is a better performer, but not by much.

I know of a 95 GT manual for sale 6000 in our area. I'll tell him ur interested if you want.

posted by  Oomba

No thanks, I live in Maryland now I'll prolly find somethin within 6000 miles of around here preferrably convertible with rims

posted by  Pythias

I'd get the 88. You can find one in great condition and probably have enough money left over to upgrade the sound system.

posted by  hondaman

my boy is selling a 99 GT 4.8 V8
auto tho
non convertible
allow wheels
82k miles

posted by  6000LE

No thanks man 95 or 88 only and this thread is simply asking for information about either of the two models because I am not going to get one right now but within the next months.

BTW you mean 4.6 don't you?

posted by  Pythias

Why only 88 and 95?

posted by  Oomba

Want a 5.0 only, 94 was the first year of the body style change. So 95.
88' Because it was the year I was born.

posted by  Pythias

i would say 95 cause the inside is very nice. i know someone who is sellin 95 convertable auto with chrome rims for 6000. With 60k miles.

posted by  V-Tec

Where at?

posted by  Pythias

It all really depends on what you plan to do with the car...if you want something just to look and sound good then go with the '95. If you want something to take to the 'strip on weekends, go with the 88(although I would highly recommend an '89 because it's got the MAF system as opposed to speed density). Finding a nice unabused fox is getting increasingly difficult though so it might just be easier to get the '95...hell, you could always do the pre-93 induction/egr/ECU swap if you want to make it faster.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

My plans for the car are to eventually make it faster but not right away. I would like it to look good and also be semi newer so thats why I want to the 1995. Although faster to me means pushing that 1995 up to around 300-350 hp with around the same torque WITHOUT a supercharger if possible. I would like to do every other upgrade I can for horsepower then have it dynoed. Can anyone give me a list of upgrades I can do to reach 300-350 hp and how much they would cost each? I would greatly appreciate it :mrgreen:

posted by  Pythias

CHICAGO i am not exactly sure about the miles on the car. It can we 60, 68 , or 80, I will check for you if u want. I wanted it for me but i don't wanna pay for v8 gas.

posted by  V-Tec

Yes please check for me.

posted by  Pythias

Go with AFR 165 heads, GT-40 intake, full-length headers, 1.6 roller rockers, TFS stage 2 cam, 70mm throttle body & EGR spacer, 155lph fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 2.5" off-road H-pipe with decent high-flowing mufflers, a decent aftermarket ignition system, 24lb/hr fuel injectors, cold air intake and at least a 75mm MAF meter. That should put you at about 295-315rwhp depending on the condition of the short block. All of these mods are worthless on an '87-'88 unless you do a MAF conversion and they are worthless on the '94-'95 unless you covert to pre-'94 intake/egr/throttle body/ecu, but then you won't have a fan driver for the factory electric fan.....

Just buy an '89-'93 and make your life sooooo much easier.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

I think Imma stick with the 1995 but thanks for the info!, also would having the engine rebuilt restore some power if any has been lost? Would it be cost efficient for me to have it dynoed before any upgrades? Wats the difference between cold air intake and other intakes?

posted by  Pythias

Go with the 1988 mustang. Its a rocket.

posted by  MustangFan424

I want looks and speed though.

posted by  Pythias

I would get the 88. But not a convertable. Unless youre just looking for something to cruise around in. The only sound system you need in a 5.0L Mustang is that badass 5.0L sound man :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Lol thats what alot of people keep tellin me, my mind isn't totally made up yet, alot depends on what I will be able to afford, but I do want convertible regardless.

posted by  Pythias

A quality rebuilt short block is a good idea if the car has more than 80k miles...or if it's been badly abused...pushing 300rwhp is never a good idea on an abused reciprocating assembly. As far as having it dyno'ed stock, well it's not exactly cost efficient but it will give you an exact baseline. Otherwise you can assume approximately 180-210rwhp depending on the condition of the car and the type of dynamometer as well as any correction factor.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Well lemme tell ya', it ain't no joke man :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

A good sound system sounds much better IMO than an old hunky Ford 4.9.

That's just me though :thumbs:

posted by  thunderbird1100

We've been through this before...IT'S CALLED A 5.0! :screwy:

Maybe I'll start calling your precious honda motor a 1.556427L

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Don't even start with him because he will just say somethin like "WELL since its 1.55 you round up and since ford was 4.94 you should round down." There's no getting through to some people, remember ignorance is bliss.
- :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Ford called it a 5.0 for marketing. But in fact it is a 4.9L motor. No denying it.

BTW - My Honda is 2.156L, or 2,156cc....or in tenths terms, 2.2L.

I call ignorance everyone who calls something what is in fact not (And the Ford 5.0 is not a 5.0L motor, it's a 4.9L). I dont give a shit who calls it what, I'll call it what it really is and remain OUT of the ignorance field like you and sick88 on this.

And yes, 4.94 rounds to 4.9 in tenths, as 1.55 rounds to 1.6. What's so ignorant about that?

Ill pretend I didnt hear that :evil:

posted by  SlipKnoT

I'm more of a car audio nut than an engine sound nut. Just how I am.

Rather spend $600 on a new front stage instead of an exhaust system.

it's actually 78k niles but in great condition.

posted by  V-Tec

Sounds good and hes asking 6k for it?

posted by  Pythias

thunderbird1100...I hope you realize that you are the only one who DOESN'T call it a 5.0...you are the one who is in the "ignorance field"...yes, we all know it's technically not a 5.0, but 99,999.9 out of 100,000 times, people will call it what it was called from the factory(except for you obviously, as your head is stuck up your honda's slow ass). And if it makes you feel any better, my engine was rebuilt with a 0.030" overbore...technically making it a.........................................you guessed it....A FIVE POINT F*CK!N' OH. Hey, guess what douche, any "5.0L" engine on the road with more than 75k miles on it, technically is a 5.0L...it'll give just enough wear on the cylinder walls to be able to round up, that's if you really want to be anal as hell about everything. You import lovin' faggot.

And it begins, yet again. I knew it wouldn't take long for this site to start falling apart again.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Well Since I got the 88' I figured I'd ask about how to do the MAF conversion :mrgreen: also the off road H-pipe won't go through emissions will it? I need one that will, also if yiou don't mind a rough estimate of all these parts together would be good, from what I see looks around 1500? Of course I need the engine rebuild first.

posted by  Pythias

Come now I'm sure he isn't the only one that can answer the question about the MAF conversion

posted by  Pythias

if you want a real 5.0 buy a chevy then theres no mistakes if im correct chevy had the 302 first and why are we calling it by liters like it matters there are 302's and 305's and 307's they are all 5.0 liters to me so if you call it a 302 there is no mistakes im not sure about import tuners though nobody would know what you were talking about if you called it by cid you never hear someone call there 454 a 7.4 liter

posted by  84gprix

Buy a chevy? Why?, look at the stock specs of an 88 ford mustang gt and then the chevy's the top of the line 5.0 chevy motor still lacks 10hp and 10 torque. Other than that I already bought my car so I don't know what your talkin about there, and I am asking a specific question why are you commenting on what I call my car? And yes actually i do hear people call their 302 a 5.0, your just a noob. :screwy:

posted by  Pythias

the only reason anybody called a 302 a 5.0 is cuz thats what it said on the side of the car ever hear of a boss 302 my point exactly. ford did that for advertsing purposes. chevy doesnt make a high performance 5.0 anyway they havent sence they sold the 302 design to ford. and if you take a 305 with 10 less hp and 10 less of torque and put the performance parts on you blow a 302 away. ford is big bore, small stroke and chevy is small bore, big stroke so you can get more out of a chevy. an if you put a 350 in that 88 stang of yours you will shit your pants there is a reason they say built ford tough with chevy stuff. i had a stang also, loved it, but i dont refer to it as a 5.0 cuz its confusing cuz 305's and 307's are 5.0 also, the only thing i was trying to say is stop fighting over it it doesnt matter. you can also get a bigger oil pan and increase the liters. :banghead:

posted by  84gprix

Yeah asking anyone, 80's mustang or camaro's owners and say 5.0 99% of the time they will know you are talking about the mustang. :screwy: it's not that confusing if you think about it.

Stop fightning over it? You were the one who came and butted your head in my thread because your a GM/Chevy lover and decided to try and argue with me about what I call MY car. Yes your statement right there made a WHOLE lot of sense. And Chevy hasn't made a 5.0 since they sold it to Ford? NEWS FLASH-- 5.0 H.O. (stands for high output incase you didn't know) Was in production in Ford from at LEAST 1987 (don't feel like looking it up) to 1995, how long was the Chevy 5.0 in production? Up until 1993 I believe. And personally I haven't heard of this that Chevy sold their 5.0 to Ford. Maybe its true but I wouldn't believe it coming from you who wants to know about a BODY kit and RIMS (called WHEELS RETARD, GOOGLE RIMS YOU WON't FIND WHEELS) and a FART can for the car they wan't to buy. Basically RICE it out.

So in the end I think you know about absolutely nothing you stupid poser so stfu and get outta my thread. :fu: :fu:

posted by  Pythias

Yeah, obviously that guy is lost when it comes to anything automotive...yeah, sure you can increase your displacement by putting on a bigger oil pan...dumbass. Second, you have it backwards...usually big bore/small stroke engines will excel in performance applications because they have less piston speed than a small bore/big stroke combo. But, on certain power levels, two engines which produce the same cubic inches from different bore/stroke combos, will produce the same power within 2hp. Assuming they are prepped with all the same parts and preferably built by the same outfit.

As far as MAF conversions...you can make it easy on yourself, spend a little more money and get a Ford Racing kit for around $600. Otherwise, you'll have to wire in the new harness(not recommended if you're inexperienced with electrical/electronics), it also requires you move a few pins around at the ECM and that you replace the ECM with a mass air version. The Ford Racing kit has it all, plug and play. I believe Mac sells a complete MAF conversion with cold air upgrades and maf sensor upgrades as well. And no, an off-road h-pipe will not pass emissions testing. But, you can go with shorty equal length headers and a decent cat-back exhaust and still pick up power.

The speed density system will be fine if you don't plan on modding it much, but if you're like every other mustang/5.0 owner, you'll end up modding it more and more. Any other questions, you can feel free to PM me where we don't have to deal with morons.

-Don

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Your Message