pontiac aztec

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  pontiac aztec

my uncle had one of these and it caught on fire one day. they said it was an electrical problem. i want to know if anyone else has heard of sumthing like this in one.

posted by  lamboluver

Yeah, I've heard it happening to cars from every manufacturer.

Oh, and no, it's not a common occurrence in Azteks.

posted by  ChrisV

Dont know if it's a common problem with the Aztek or not. Latest I heard on fire-causing recalls was something electrical on the PT Cruiser that might cause a fire. I think that was at least a year ago though.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Hmm. Where'd you hear that? I've never gotten any recall notices for anything like that on my PT. And in fact, I can't find a recall notice for any PT about electrical problems causing fire issues. There's one for the power steering hose for the non-turbo ones (and mine hasn't been affected, as it only pertains to those with an automatic transmission). There's also one for the fuel pump module being able to leak in a rollover crash, and one for the software that controls the dash lights causing them to flicker. I've had the latter two done right after the car was bought.

posted by  ChrisV

Maybe the car decided to kill itself because it was so damn ugly :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

It was the power steering hose...wasn't electrical. Just happened so long ago I can't even remember. But I do remember they recalled something like almost all of them.

Wait, here I found it, recalled over 400,000 from 01-04 models.

http://p199.ezboard.com/fmontereybayptcruisersfrm26.showMessage?topicID=8.t opic

posted by  thunderbird1100

yeah, like I said, that I knew about, and it affected teh non turbos with an automatic just in case it *might* rub against the trans housing. I havne't heard of it happening to any actual examples. But considering how many of them they made and sold in a short timeframe, it's completely possible.

And it points out again just how prone ANY modern vehicle is to something that MIGHT catch it on fire. Maximas and Z cars got recalled for things that might cause fires. Ferraris got recalled for wheels falling off and for possible electrical fires.

The more complex you make a vehicle, the more likely something having the potential to be catastrophic will be. And all modern vehciles are complex machines.

posted by  ChrisV

pontiac aztec...things that make ya want to go UUHHHGGGG!!!! :ohcrap:

posted by  adamc44

Your Message