1988 Grand Voyager noisy fuel pump

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  1988 Grand Voyager noisy fuel pump

I have a 1988 plymouth grand voyager se and the fuel pump has a loud humming noise when running,when I first turn key to ign. it runs then shuts off but when running it has a constant hum?is there a relay causing this or a bad pump?anyone ever change one on this vehicle?thanks

posted by  unclepudge

36 Hits and not one suggestion?wow

posted by  unclepudge

bad pump - thats the sign its ready to go.....heard enough of them to know that much....done it a few times on the van my dad used to use for courier driving....couple in my old car...

posted by  dodgerforlife

if it hasnt been done then yeah it could be the pump is ready to go....or if someone has been in there, and forgot to replace the rubber that isolates the sound, if you get the pump changed which i would, make sure they use new rubber insulators, they usually come with the pump and inquire to them to see if any baffles in the tank have broken off and are floating around in the tank, durango's have that problem, same company probably same tank..lol i dunno just pissin in the dark here

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

silly banffy, theres a slight age difference..im sure the tanks are different...

and its actually not TOO bad to change the fuel pump - just pick up a haynes manual at your local auto store, it will tell you how to do it :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

yeah but i just read 2 sentances of an article and thought i would be like everyone else and post what i just barely read. as i wrote it i doubted the tank being the same but whatever BROKEN BAFFLES it is,

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

mmm waffles.

Oh shit, I forgot to actually READ the post. :orglaugh:

posted by  dodgerforlife

O.K. thanks for the info,putting alot into this old van so I guess I'll just wait it out til she blows?

posted by  unclepudge

well, not knowing where you live(cuz if its cold, you wont really want to do this), my suggestion would be try to find a decent fuel pump(rebuilt/reconditioned or new), and try to damn near run out of gas going into a weekend, and spend a saturday afternoon replacing the pump....alot easier if the tank is almost empty....

otherwise youre going to find that it wont start one day...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Thanks for all the info,as of today she's still running more noisy on a full tank than half or less but still running a friend at work has a caravan that does the same thing?must be a mopar thing?

posted by  unclepudge

ehh it's not really a mopar thing....shit gets old, and wears out.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message