Need some tips

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Need some tips

Hi i am new to driving a manual transmission vehichle. Can you give me some tips and pointers on how to drive one? I just have no one else around to teach me. I drove one for the first time today wasent great but at least i didint stall the car at all and did not grind any gears, I think that was a pretty good start i guess. If it matters i am using a 93 mustang gt for driving the manual. Thanks!

posted by  Kris

Okay first find a parking lot on level ground. Then put the clutch in and put it into first :laughing:. Without giving the car any gas slowly let the clutch out until she starts to grab and move forward but don't let her stall. Once you've found the point of where the clutch lets out, push it back in. Then do exactly what you did the last time except give her a little gas and when she feels like shes going give her a little more and then you're off :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

Also, when you do start to be more efficent in your driving, try to find the optimal timing in your changing gears. Do not worry about the odometer. If you want to gear smoothly and quickly, always look at the tachometer. If, for example, the RPM range goes up to 7000, change the gear when it reaches 4000. Then for every time you are going to change gears, do the same thing. Also if you are downshifting, shift down when it is below 1500 RPM. Remember, these are just examples as every car requires more or less effort. Do not worry of breaking the stick shift. When you are about to shift, look at where you are going to upshift, quickly press down the clutch while shifting as fast as you can. Pretend it is the devil's tail and you want to yank it off. Hope this helps not just you, but for the people that want a few advanced pointers. If you got more pointers, please post them, I a,m always glad to learn more. :mrgreen:

posted by  xlrated

"Do not worry about the odometer." How do you know when to do an oil change?

"If you want to gear smoothly and quickly, always look at the tachometer." Just make sure you "gear" before you hit something because you're looking at the tach, not the road.

"If, for example, the RPM range goes up to 7000, change the gear when it reaches 4000. Then for every time you are going to change gears, do the same thing." 4,000 RPM in a 5.0 in fourth gear is over 100 mph. Make sure you only drive on long straight stretches of road.

"Do not worry of breaking the stick shift." Whew... okay... But wait. If I break it how will I shift?

"When you are about to shift, look at where you are going to upshift, quickly press down the clutch while shifting as fast as you can." I though I was always supposed to look at the tach? I'M SOOOO CONFUSED!

"Pretend it is the devil's tail and you want to yank it off." Why in the hell would I want yank off the Devil's tail? What does that even mean?

"Hope this helps not just you, but for the people that want a few advanced pointers." I'm gonna e-mail this to the SCCA, NASCAR, NHRA, IRL, etc right now. They'll be able to use it in their driver training programs. Thanks.

posted by  vwhobo

BWAHAHAHAH! Oh, my! Priceless. :thumbs:

posted by  ChrisV

Funny stuff.

posted by  Wally

Wouldn't that just make him annoyed?

posted by  windsonian

Not that you care, but I did say these are some examples, it does not implly that these rules are exact and accurate. So if you want to school me on some of YOUR gear changing methods, then do it, otherwise, go run to your mammy to teach you to read better. This topic was only for gear shifting, so putting sown that do not check your odometer, soes not mean anything with gear shifting. Although I did make a mistake. I mean to sayt the MPH gauge. Still, the topic was about gear shifting, not daily maitenence. :ticking:

posted by  xlrated

I take it English is your second language... If you're going to give "tips" you need to make sure you're accurate, and communicate well. Hobo read just fine. YOu just didn't communicate very well.

You even said that what you said was for people that wanted "advanced pointers." and yet nothing in your post was "advanced" or even a really valid "pointer."

You never said why you would "gear" at 4000 rpm if the tach went to 7000. What if you wanted more accelleration? What if shifting up at 4000 caused the engine to be well out of it's powerband in the next gear up and was "lugging?" That could cause more harm. What if 400 rpm was well over 100 mph in 3rd or 4th gear? How is it advanced if you don't even cover that topic? And why would you want to yank the shifter? You run the risk of missing the shift or damaging the synchros. You want to move the lever SMOOTHLY, not "yank it it like it's the devil's tail."

posted by  ChrisV

wat actually made me laugh was the fact that i think hobo was actually being quite generous.... nice one.

posted by  Inygknok

Kris, 99 integra was accurate to start you in driving the car. But no one asked you if the car was stock because a stock GT and non stock are totally different in driving. Fox Body Mustangs are great to learn the clutch is a little harder to get use to but if you can drive it you can drive anything.
If she is stock drive like 99 integra said that is the basic for any manual. But if she does not have stock clutch and motor you have the same basic driving but you need to find where the car will shift the best. My 88' GT likes to shift at 4700 to 5200 but she likes to be driven hard. But any where from 2500 to 4500 is the best shifting points. Just try at different RPMS and you'll find what your car likes. And I hardly ever pay attention to the speedometer the tach is what is important because wants you get use to the car and find her shift points the tach will tell you everything you need to know. Hope this helps you out alittle.

posted by  C95TSI

After you get to learn it well, you really don't even have to think about it, you just do it.

posted by  nsupra27

Exactly!!!!!!! You just need to know your car and then you could probably drive it in your sleep.!

posted by  C95TSI

hehehe. And this is the best part. Everyone that drives a manual for a while will agree wth this statement. You dont' have to think about it anymore, you just do it.

And then they turn around and say that it's all the fun of driving (if youre not shifting it's no fun) and that it makes you pay more attention to the road. But if your'e not thinking about it, and just doing it by instinct, how is it all the fun of driving and how does it make you concentrate on the road more? Mutually exclusive concepts. If you don't think about it, how can it be the most fun part of driving? Pretty sad if the most fun part of driving, and the difference between driving and not driving, is something you don't even THINK about anymore WHILE driving...

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message