Now, this is sweet...

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Now, this is sweet...

http://www.robidaconcepts.com/page/page/2135517.htm

Brand new '48 Tucker. Twin turbo Caddy Northstar powered, everything custom. On air ride...

Sweet!

http://www.socalcustoms.com/Shows/2005/SEMA/images/IMG_0841.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Yes it is, VERY sweet.

posted by  torinoman80

Like everything except the crappy Rockford Power sub I see peeping out under the hood. Very nice custom work though.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The car was partially sponsored by Rockford Fosgate. If they gave me their stuff to put in free, I'd use it, too. I've had no problems with the few Rockford components I've used in competition. But it was almost 10 years ago that I last used their stuff.

posted by  ChrisV

Oh dear lord she is sexy :drool:

posted by  chris_knows

That is the LOWEST profile tire I have ever seen!!! What profile is it. Nice car tho great work.

posted by  420amodder

Rockford USED to make great stuff, but again, that was hella back in the day of the GOOD Fanatic X components and Power 50 amp's (cheater amp!) that really did 200-250rms @ 4ohms (rated at 50rms at 4ohms). Since then they have gone WAY too mainstream (circuit city/best buy and the like) and their quality suffered big time. The only decent products they make know are their Power line of amps (the Punch line does rated power if not a little above but has quality control issues galore). I wouldnt put any of Rockford's newer stuff in my car if they were given to me for free (be a downgrade in any sense), with one exception being the Power amps, that's the only way I'd get those (they are WAY overpriced, like the rest of Rockford's line).

Ugh, air ride.

Pretty nice, though.

posted by  PontiacFan27

That is SWEET!!!! What color is it (the silver/gray)???

posted by  elchango36

They just say "Olive and black jade" on the site.

posted by  ChrisV

What's wrong with air ride on a show car? I'm putting it on my '63 Comet convertible.

posted by  ChrisV

That is nice. By the way, what's going on with the Comet?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Gathering drivetrain parts, but waiting until I finsih my buddy's MGB and my new garage/worksop/master bedroom suite

posted by  ChrisV

I'm just not a fan of stuff specifically meant for show cars.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Since when is air ride suspensions specifically meant for show cars. They are getting put on SUV's these days as standard equipment, see Cayenne, Touareg etc... Also, One company makes an air ride suspensions for thw WRX STi, with 3 different settings (one being low with tarmec performance in mind and oen being high for off-road performance). I dont know how it's for show cars only.

Well, unless you're doing 200 mph and racing everywhere on the streets, you have nop need for an engine that makes more than 50 hp. So why can't a show car or street car have something like air ride? it's certainly not going to be bad for a car that is rarely if ever going to exceed the speed limit.

Trust me, you'll grow out of the need to make every car you own and drive be a race car, or be capable of being a race car. Sometimes it's nice to also have a custom cruiser.

Oh, and neither shiny paint nor factory spoilers/wheel spats make a street car go faster, yet you seem to be a fan of THOSE.

posted by  ChrisV

Racings in my blood, showy stuff doesnt matter to me.

posted by  PontiacFan27

So why are you driving that car in your SIG?

posted by  420amodder

Because I like F-bodys. And the Olds 455 thats in it puts 375 hp down. Better than your Neon, thats for sure.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Sure if you say so........

posted by  420amodder

I forgot, you put neons in your car. Its much faster then mine. Sorry for the mistake.

posted by  PontiacFan27

No problem. Considering I took them out I must have lost like 150 horsepower...damn what a shame :banghead:

posted by  420amodder

Lemme just contradict what you just said there, I'm having neons putting in my truck, does that make me a ricer :ticking:

posted by  99integra

No but according to him, it adds some SERIOUS power. You can peel out now. Right out of 3rd gear! :laughing:

posted by  420amodder

I'm sure I'll burst a few bubbles and probably catch alot of flak, but I don't care for it. There's no doubt about the work, expertise, quality and $$$ that went into it but it just doesn't float my boat. I personally prefer cars that are simpler and that get driven... regularly. Still, for what the intended purpose of the car is they did a great job.

posted by  vwhobo

Whyyy... do I somehow doubt that 375 hp? Put up or shutup oomba, show us some proof that cannot be denied... If you can't, don't speak.

posted by  Pythias

Because thats what a stock Olds 455 with a 4bbl carb puts out.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I want proof, dyno sheet, picture of the engine, etc.

posted by  Pythias

My lord you're dumb. You could just google for "Oldsmobile 455ci specs", but if you want an engine pic here you go

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/9118/olds455ci6yq.jpg

I havent dynod it. But with age its probably making 290 or so at the rear wheels.

posted by  PontiacFan27

See thats all I wanted was,t so hard was it :-p

posted by  Pythias

Not at all. I just don't wanna cause any hard feelings amongst anyone here. Except 420amodder, I dont like him.

posted by  PontiacFan27

HEY CHRIS V YOU OWN A COMET? awesome
could you post me some pics id liek to see it.

I own a 73 hard top everything original outside of the engine 54k miles

posted by  Aondor

They had several 455's.

310hp, 320hp, 365hp, 370hp and 390hp.

All according to Olds. But then again you cant rate horsepower today like they did then. Some of those ratings might be gross, which is obviously going to bump up the rating more than if it were measured as of todays standards.

Also I wouldn't call any "Appearance" modification (or stock useless crap like some body cladding on your Firebird) "rice". Afterall look at those aftermarket CHROME Edelbrock Valve covers you have. I'm sure those added 50hp :laughing: You'd be a hypocrite at this point if you continue to rag on appearance modifications or useless body cladding. Obviously you care about appearance too since you decided to go flashy and put chrome Edelbrock Covers on your 455.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to stuff like neons, extreme body kits, large wings, alot of stickers and/or vinyls and big ass rims, shit like that, not a ****ing valve cover. :screwy:

posted by  nsupra27

Its BHP. Those valve covers were put on by the previous owner of the vehicle.

posted by  PontiacFan27

What's BHP? Can you define it? Do you have any idea of the meaning of the acronym? Not just the words but the actual difference between HP nad BHP? I bet not. No fair Googling it up before replying. What T-bird is refering to is the different procedures used to arrive at net or gross HP.

I bet if you check your casting numbers the engine in your car is a 403. A leaky 403 at that with a glass fuel filter (can you say fire hazard) that appears to be installed upside down.

posted by  vwhobo

EDIT, let Oomba answer it

posted by  99integra

It doesn't matter, he has an "extreme body kit" on his Firebird by some people. An appearance modification is an appearance modification and if it doesnt improve performance than it's "rice" to him... So obviously he's riced his Firebird with Chrome Valve Covers.

And the poor functioning, fire hazard but very flashy fuel filter.

posted by  vwhobo

Didn't even notice that until then, nice find :laughing:

And it may be the picture quality but right below the radiator hose from the rad-engine it looks torn up right before it gets to the engine.

Yep, it also looks like the fuel line to the fuel pump is missing a hose clamp.

posted by  vwhobo

Brake horsepower. As in, the standard used in the old days for measuring horsepower. Im sure its lower than that, and yes I have work on the engine left to do. I was planning on either replacing it with another crate 455, or maybe trying to work an LS1 into it. I dont know yet. Its in storage till spring, anyhow.

posted by  PontiacFan27

You dont understand.

BHP is always constant, but the WAY YOU MEASURE IT is not. Gross and net BHP are two different ways of arriving at BHP.

Think of it this way, it's like income, there are two ways of measuring it, before the government robs you (gross) and after the government robs you (net). Today we use a mostly net based system (ultimately one day we'll move to JUST waht's measured at the wheels) while back then they used a more gross rating system.

From the Wikipedia (so I don't have to type it from memory):

BHP, Brake Horse Power, is horspeower measured on a braking dyno. Brake horsepower was a term commonly used before the 1970s in the United States, and is still common in the United Kingdom. It indicates the brake dyno, the device for measuring the true power of the engine. Stating power in 'bhp' gives some indication this is a true reading, rather than a calculated or predicted one. However, several manufacturers started to strip their engines of essential ancillaries for the purposes of getting a high horsepower figure to use in marketing the car.

In the United States the term fell into disuse after the American Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended manufacturers use "hp (SAE)" to indicate the power of the engine, given that particular car's complete engine installation. This may also be stated as "SAE net hp" or simply "net hp".

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message