SRT-4 engine into a talon?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  SRT-4 engine into a talon?

My friend drives a 96 talon TSi AWD but his engine is acting up, and someone told him a SRT-4engine will fit right in. Is this true? I don't even know what engines are in either one, or if they're similar.

posted by  Vlad

I'm fairly sure 2.4T SRT4 engine and FWD gearbox have little to nothing to do with the 2.0T 4g63T engine and AWD gearbox.

posted by  thunderbird1100

T-bird is right. Like any other engine swap, it could be made to fit but it certainly isn't a drop in affair.

posted by  vwhobo

The 4g63 is a great engine. Just get another.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Oomba........

posted by  99integra

Why do you people keep calling me that? Is that some inside joke I'm not getting?

posted by  PontiacFan27

Look him up

posted by  99integra

No, it is not true, that's a complete lie. The 4G63 is one of the best 4-cyl engines ever built (testimony to the fact that there are 4G63's running 6.92 in the quarter mile... and the only option for block/head is the factory casting). Swapping in the SRT-4 motor would be a huge pain in the neck... and you wouldn't be able to run the AWD system.

If your friend would like to replace his motor, he can drop in a Galant VR4 4G63 motor, an EVO 1-3 motor, or he could just rebuild his 4G63T. If he would like a 2.4L instead of his stock 2.0L 4G63, he can find himself a 4G64 block from a non-turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, or a G4CS motor from a Hyundai Sonata (designed by Mitsubishi for Hyundai), there's a couple other Hyundai's that came with a similar version of this motor as well, the Sonata is just the most common.

posted by  Bino

how bout u tell us how is it actually acting up and maybe we can help solve the problem efficiently?

posted by  Inygknok

Oomba was one of my friends that got banned about a month ago.

posted by  nsupra27

I kind of miss that little bastard sometimes

posted by  99integra

By "acting up" I mean the check engine light keeps coming on, he'll go get it checked, the mechanic will fix it, and a few weeks later it'll come on again. The turbo is not boosting properly either, and it makes this weird high pitched whining noise that gets louder and more high pitched the higher he revs. It might be because it has 125k miles on it.

posted by  Vlad

Sounds like the turbo needs to be rebuilt, or get a new one.

You can grab countless T3's up in junkyards.

Yes, but a T3 won't fit the factory manifold.

Tell your friend to pick up a good working 14b or Small 16g from eBay or somewhere there abouts. It does sound like the turbo is acting up. The check engine light could be coming on because the turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust and therefore causing erreneous O2 sensor readings.

posted by  Bino

Yes, but a T3 > factory 14b and a new manifold with a T3 flange is so easy to find and are cheap.

Well, a T3 manifold isn't actually that cheap, they were never available on a factory car so your only option is an aftermarket manifold. Plus, a T3 may or may not be better than a 14b as a T3 is a huge family of turbos, not just one unit. It's really a lot better idea for him/her to just get a 14b or a 16g for their car and not worry about running a different manifold. Granted, they really could buy a new manifold, then a T3 turbo, and then a new O2 housing, but it really doesn't make any sense to do so as people are running 12.1xx's in the 1/4 with a 14b turbo.

I'm not saying he can't, I'm just saying it's a lot more logical to get a 14b or 16g and start working from there.

posted by  Bino

why did he get banned?

posted by  gokartracer

Always kept bashing Asian cars, and although he knew a lot about them, he wouldn't stop arguing with some of the members on here....and a lot of us believe that Oomba came back as PontiacFan27...but we aren't sure...can't the mods check if the IP's are the same?

posted by  chris_knows

i see. he sounds like a.. maybe i shouldn't say anything.

posted by  gokartracer

I was just saying a junkyard T3. Something off like an old Mustang GT/SVO or such. I know they vary in sizes but the T3's I'm talking about are much better turbos than the 14b.

"much better turbo" is a very broad statement. What do you think is so specifically good about them? Lots of people stick with Mitsu turbos, some people go with Garrett turbos, in the DSM world there's plethora of information about both, it doesn't honestly make any difference which way you go other than Garrett provides a lot more options as far as larger turbos are concerned... GT30, GT35, GT40, etc. But, in the size/flow range of a T3 Mitsu has as many good offerings as Garrett does (unless you want ball bearing, mitsu has no ball bearing turbos I'm aware of).

The GMC Syclone/Typhoon's you were speaking of in another thread run a Mitsu turbo (TD06 to be precise)...

Another good reason for our original poster to not go with a full Garrett setup is that there's about a 95% chance the oil/coolant lines will not line up properly and will have to be re-bent. Which, isn't rocket science, but it is a pain in the butt. So, our original poster could go the route of finding a T3 turbo which he/she doesn't know the specs of, get a new exhaust manifold, get a new O2 housing, re-route the appropriate oil/coolant lines, and then have the same power potential as a Mitsu turbo.

posted by  Bino

Having said all that, the turbo sitting next to me as an upgrade for my car is a Mitsu/Garrett hybrid. It has a Mitsu hot side with Garrett GT25 CHRA (ball bearing) and a Garrett compressor housing. But, it directly bolts to all my factory manifolds and oil/coolant lines. The only reason it's Garrett at all is because of the ball bearing factor.

posted by  Bino

Maybe I'm used to seeing large T3 turbos at my junkyard compared to the smaller 14b's I see in DSMs. Yeah the TD06-16g/18g/20g aint no small thing.

The stock turbos on my 300ZXTT I cant wait to get rid of...TB22/T25's. EXTREMELY small. No lag but they are at max efficency right now @ 17psi (Stock boost is 14psi). Hope to pickup some Sport 650's sometimes i nthe near future. Need something bigger than these to get to my 600rwhp goal.

Cool fact: The fastest recorded stock-turboed 300ZXTT did 11.60s in the 1/4 mile. I aint too far off that, oh who am I kidding, I'm lucky to see mid 12s.

No. Oomba didn't hate Asian cars, he only hated Hondas. Some of his favorite cars are imports or Asians, and he only argued with the ignorant members, like 6000LE for example.

posted by  nsupra27

No he definitely didn't just argue with the ignorant members, although I'm sure your his friend or something which is why you are attempting to defend his stupid-ass which is understandable.

posted by  Pythias

He just kept trolling round Civic threads and saying random crap.

posted by  fudge

Oomba was the most ignorant person on these forums, enough said.

Yeah, there are T3's that flow less than a 14b, T3 is a super common turbo.

I'm really looking forward to slapping the Hybrid 25/44 on my car (just need to get DSMLink). When I get it all tuned properly I should be looking at about 380AWHP, probably 410AWHP if I want to tune it in Av-Gas (and I'll be looking for a new transaxle as well :mrgreen: ). The GT25 CHRA generally yields 20+ psi by about 2700rpm (so I've read), which is better response than I'm getting with my 16g at the moment.

posted by  Bino

Agreed. I was just trying to sugar-coat it. :PP

posted by  Pythias

Your Message