Can you Supercharge an S-10?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Can you Supercharge an S-10?

I drive an '98 Chevy S-10 and a friend of mine told me I could supercharge it. I wasnt sure if he was telling the truth of not so decided to ask you guys.

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Maybe if its a V6 then yes

posted by  99integra

Darn I dont have the V6. Could i do an engine swap and if so how much would that cost (time and money)?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

I would expect at least 600 but thats the lowest price, highest maybe 1500 depending on if the engine is new and labor cost

posted by  99integra

Wow thats pretty cheap. I was expecting a few thousand for just the engine. Thx dude :thumbs:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

What size engine would be best?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

A small block chevy *cough 350 cough* :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Don't spread lies 99integra. You can supercharge an inline 4 just fine. Or you could get a turbo.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Yeah but turbocharging a truck just doesnt seem right to me.

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Why? I could understand if it was a torque heavy engine, but its got an engine in it that should only belong an a car. Theres nothing wrong with turboing, and you wont be robbed of power.

posted by  PontiacFan27

This is why I joined these forums to learn more. Thx dude :thumbs:

How much would the turbo be?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

I didn't say he couldn't, i just said with a V6 he could, I guess it did sound like I said he couldn't but Dan the hondaman has a supercharger on his car, so yes it is possible

posted by  99integra

But is it worth it?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

I would rather swap a 350 in it but thats just my :2cents:

posted by  99integra

I've never heard anyone say getting a turbo wasn't worth it. I'd go for it.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Ans plz?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Depends on what kind you get, and where you get them from. You can find some on ebay for pretty cheap. You might have to get custom pipes made, which alot of shops can mandrel bend for you. I don't know if there are any kits for the I4 S-10 or not, buy you can try looking for those on summitracing.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your about only bet is to do a DIY turbo setup (which isnt THAT easy), because I dont tihnk anyone makes turbo kits for the 2.2 S-10. Honestly if you're not up to doing a DIY turbo kit, I'd do a motor swap. You can find oodles amount of Vortec 4.3's in the junkyard and find them VERY cheap indeed. That would be a good nice 190hp starting point. Best part is it's a drop in motor.

If you want to get a little wild with it you can get a SBC V8, what THESE guys...
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_NewBody-9.html
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8.html

Recommend is the Vortec 350 V8 from the 96-00 1500 pickups.

posted by  thunderbird1100

In the 1980's you could buy a turbocharged Toyota pickup right off the showroom floor (rare factory option).

posted by  Bino

Hey thx :thumbs:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Hell you could even buy his basic truck with a factory turbo (GMC Syclone). Also, not a truck, but the same thing as the Syclone just in SUV from, the Typhoon.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Wow, not sure why I didn't think of that (probably because he didn't say it was 4WD, which could then be converted to AWD), I'm a huge fan of the Sy/Ty's. I seriously considered buying one of those (all white), when I purchased my GSX. I wanted to rack a bunch of miles on a vehicle, couldn't bring myself to do it to a Typhoon.

posted by  Bino

Its a FWD

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

There is no such thing as a FWD S-10. It's either RWD or 4WD.

posted by  Bino

Ok then it is a RWD lol

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

You can tell if its FWD or RWD by the way the engine is mounted. If its mounted horizontally (---), then its FWD. If its mounted vertically ( | ), then its RWD.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I did not know that :banghead:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

If it is transversely mounted, it may also be AWD. Or longitudinally... :2cents:

posted by  hondaman

English please

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

If it is sideways or vertical, it could also be AWD.

posted by  hondaman

Oh, really now. You just can't stop typing long enough to pull your head out of your you know where.

Let's see if I have this right. Essentially all Subarus have horizontally opposed engines and most are AWD. Aircooled VW's all have horizonatally opposed engines and all are RWD. The vast majority of current Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, etc have vertical inline engines and once again the vast majority are FWD. I could go on but Ray Charles could see where this is going. Somehow the facts don't back-up your words... AGAIN. What a surprise. :roll:

posted by  vwhobo

i'm pretty sure that he means to say transverse instead of horizontal and longitudinal instead of vertical (can i get a vertical smile, please :hi: ) but that would make the olds toronado rwd---- i knew they were full of it when they said the new toro was fwd! and those 79-85 eldo and riv bastards, too!!!! :wink2:

ps: i had no idea that my fieros were fwd, too!!! what made the back tires spin??? :tard:

posted by  dodger65

The same thing that makes the front tires spin on VW Foxes and early Passats (Dashers) and lots of older Audis... A longitudinally mounted engine.

BTW, I really wanted Mr Twinkie to answer the question. He spews alot and then disappears.

posted by  vwhobo

sorry... :doh:

posted by  dodger65

Your Message