SHO = Love

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  SHO = Love

A few days ago my dad bought a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO for $800 to sell from my uncle who is whole saler (which would be the reason he got it so cheap). It has 162,000 miles on it and its a forest green color and just looks awesome. Ive driven it several times and Im in love with these cars! I really want one for my first car and Im wondering if there are any websites that have performance parts for these cars. I mean, they already have great power off the line and at higher RPMs but Id like to add a little more "UMPH" to mine when I get it.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Not that bad of cars really, my friend has one with over 300,XXX km on it and its still great running (if only it looked as good also) :laughing: . Should nt be too hard to find some sites for what you looking for, i'll try to take a look, otherwise i'll have to try tomorrow.

Not sure how much this helps but here's one: http://www.cincysho.com/partsCatalog.html

Might wanna try some of the listed sites here: http://www.shoclub.com/SHOlinks/linksbusinesses.html

http://www.midwestsho.com/catalog/index.php

posted by  car_crazy89

Oh dude I think they look awesome. They remind me of a Euro sports sedan.

posted by  SlipKnoT

I'm not a huge Ford fan (then again i'm not a big 'new(er) car' fan either. I think they look nice from the back and its kinda cool how they look like the regular Taurus in the front, just lose the SHO badging and then race them :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

I'm driving a 99 station wagon right now. Eventually I plan to get the engine out of a 96-99 SHO along with some of the other parts and swap them into my car. As far as I know there's only one other Gen III SHO wagon in the world, plus Thumper, which is a Gen II. So, if everything goes according to plan and I get the money I need, the SHOWagon count will be 3 in a little while.

Long live the SHO!

posted by  crazy_pilot

That sounds like a waste of time personally. Rare, yes...expensive, absolutely...cool, debatable. A guy on another forum will be gutting his '84 Cougar XR-7(for those who don't know...that's a turbo'd 2.3) and he is currently working on a 3.2L SHO swap. There is a lot of custom work for that...he's already got a T-5 trans mated up to it, via custom adapters.

Check it out if you get the chance...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=6535

posted by  Sick88Tbird

is the sho motor going to have enough ass to pull that thing around? is the swap really worth it, as opposed to a 5.0?:screwy:

posted by  dodger65

Everybody is converting to the 5.0...he is trying to do something different...it'll be worth it...that XR-7 should only weigh around 3300 when it's done...maybe less. He is also working on an Inline 6 conversion with an aussie cross flow head....all in the name of different.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

SHO's are great, I just dont think I could stand the Taurus body.

posted by  OombaIsBack

ive always wanted to take an older SHO and put the newer SHO V8 in it. that would be COOL:thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

is the SHO still in production? if so, what engine does it use? :oops: my mom :oops: has a '99 tarus with the 3L DOHC Duratec, its damn quick IMO. I have personally had the car clocked at 130mph on an airport runway (cops are my friends) i think thats damn good for a luxury family sedan. Im wanting to find a ~90's model Miata and try an engine swap, the 2L(?) 4cyl for the 3L Duratec. I think theres room, hardest part will be fitting the RWD manual trany to a FWD engine.

posted by  davsmitty

theres something weird about this lot of info.....

posted by  nighthawk

THERE IS NO RWD IN A TAURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead:

posted by  glagon1979

Thats exactly what he was saying...

posted by  OombaIsBack

It would be pretty stupid to put the 3.4 V8 in an older SHO. It would add weight and it wouldnt compensate with extra power. Also they have a bad habit of cam failures. Your best bet would be to take a 3.0 MTX put a 3.2 in or bore the 3.0 out and put on a supercharger or a turbo.
One of the best places for information on the SHO is at http://shoforum.com

posted by  skeetin870

Just in response to Sick88, I know that fixing up a station wagon isn't to everybody's idea of cool, but I like the car and I really want it to be a more fun machine. If there's one thing I admire about the Taurus it's that Ford set out to build a car for a purpose and did pretty well. There still aren't very many 6-8 seat cars out there, and vans generally can't carry as much cargo at the same time as people. Plus, the idea of being able to burn somebody in an early 90's Civic with a really big exaust tip makes me laugh. Stupid loud cars that can't do anything more than before...

posted by  crazy_pilot

I dont know if you have ever heard a SHO but they are very loud when it idles you can hear it all through the house. My mom hates that i got it because she didnt realize it was so fast but she likes it now because i cant sneak out of the house because its too damn loud. I just had to find one with a Borla cat back system :ohcrap:

posted by  skeetin870

Also for Davsmitty: No, the SHO is no longer in production. The last run for that car was the 99 model year, when it had the 3.4L V8. Putting a 90's Miata motor in a Taurus would be a bad move. I drive a 99 Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan. That engine has 145 HP and ~180 torque, and is still damn sluggish (although I got it to 180 km/h with 4 people and a lot of gear in it before I ran out of road). The highest HP available from 90-98 Miata's was 133. I don't know the torque rating, but out of a small engine it can't be very high. That engine would never have the balls to move a heavy Taurus at any speed. Now, if you wanted to try fitting a Subaru STi powerplant in there with it's 300 HP and 300 lb-ft of torque...haha, ya right.

posted by  crazy_pilot

He was talking about putting the taurus motor in the miata not the other way around.

posted by  skeetin870

is there something wrong with my typing? other than my reluctance to capitalize and my misspelling, i try to proof-read my posts before i submit them.

* 'course, maybe youre all too bussy looking at my truck too grasp what im typing. LOL

posted by  davsmitty

I understand...not trying to burn you...but it will cost a lot of loot. Hey, I think you could smoke most civic's right now with that wagon...maybe even with a spark plug wire pulled off...lol.

skeetin-SHO's are very quiet at idle...yours is only loud BECAUSE of your Borla cat-back...if you've got a '99, my buddy would be willing to trade his stock pristine system for your borla...lol.

davsmitty-nobody gives a crap about your truck...it looks just like every other POS chevy box rolling around. Get over it.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Nah my SHO is a 94 i like it though. I have heard another SHO a 95 with the ATX and it seems just as loud I dont know about the V8 but the sixes are in my experience loud not super rice burner loud but definently loud.

posted by  skeetin870

NOT EVEN CLOSE:banghead:

posted by  glagon1979

LOL, that was a joke. I know my truck is unremarkable

posted by  davsmitty

Ah, my bad. Miata + SHO engine. Got it. Could be pretty sweet, although the Miata's weight distribution would be thrown off a bit by a heavier engine. Beef up the suspension and put a really heavy sub and amp combo in the trunk to balance the car, lol. Still, I think you should go for an STi engine. World's most terrifying Miata. lol

posted by  crazy_pilot

I was talking about putting the engine from a current (99) taurus in the Miata. Unless the v6 SHO motor was the 3L DOHC Duratec? But yeah, to even out the wieght I was thinking about putting a big feul cell in the rear, as big as i could make it fit. Though realy i dont think the 3L Duratec wieghs that much more than the Miata 4cyl. Now, if i wanted to put a v8 in the Miata, i'd mortage(sp?) everything ill ever own and buy a Cosworth v8 in :smoke: :thumbs: :driving: :rock: "HoooAHHH!!!

posted by  davsmitty

I don't get it. What's the trick in putting a V6 in a Miata... And if you're doing the fab work anyway, why not just drop in a V8 and be done with it?

http://www.v8miata.com/

http://www.v8miata.homestead.com/buildup.html

http://www.oa5599.us/v8a.htm

http://www.fergfab.com/gallery/LS1-V8-miata-conversion?&page=1

posted by  vwhobo

I'll give you a dollar if you put an LS7 in a Miata :smoke:

posted by  OombaIsBack

My brother in law HAD an amazing forest green sho it got rear ended when he was dropping off my girl, a jeep was going 60 and didnt see him, it's totalled and we are currently looking to do something with the awesome engine it has. i just got an 87 honda accord lx that actually despirately needs an engine. i'm wondering if this swap is even possible, or worth trying. the 220 horse from the sho would make the accord a major sleeper, and i'm starting to get idea after idea for this rust bucket i have. it already has a front wheel drive set up, so i think it would be a bit simpler... i think the bay is big enough to fit it but i havent done any measuring yet. I'm willing to work for the :2cents: :2cents: money and put it into the swap and modification, but are there any ideas on how exactly i should do this?

posted by  notfalling

Your Message