SRT-4 performance parts

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  SRT-4 performance parts

im thinking about getting an SRT-4 and i was wondering what is the best way to get the most hp and torque without spending to much and also can u fit an SRT-10 engine in an SRT-4 or is the engine bay to small thanks

posted by  Rocko790165

Wow I got my shits and giggles outta that one :orglaugh:

posted by  99integra

Umm... I think your best bet is to just tune the SRT-4 engine... wow...

posted by  StiMan

You can easily get the SRT-4 to over 400hp and 400ft-lbs torque, without using Nitrous.

Two reasons not to use the Viper engine - weight and size...

http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Dodge/SRT-4

check out some rides, and you'll see that there is a lot of people who have pushed the 400whp mark.

posted by  dodgerforlife

From your question, I'm assuming that you are pretty young, so I wouldn't quite recommend putting too much power in yet...

posted by  chris_knows

There is no point in even trying to A. obtain a 8.3L OHV V10 that probably weighs about 300-500lbs MORE with the tranny than the 2.4L DOHC Turbo I4. Not to mention you'd have to convert the neon to RWD. Which is wa sno setup to do and would suck most likely. Did I mention cost? Yeah, too much.

Just have fun with the 2.4T, any turbo motor can be boosted up in horsepower easily. Check out...

http://www.turboneonstore.com/customer/home.php

posted by  thunderbird1100

Ya, lol, no shit. :laughing:

posted by  StiMan

I'd love to go out and get an SRT-4, do a stage 4 turbo upgrade, pulley upgrades, yadda yadda yadda, so on so forth, and I would love to drive that beast.... Watch Civics and Sunaliers in my city eat shit, and dust.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I have to be honest... this may be the dumbest question I've ever heard. "Can I fit a RWD V10 6spd drivetrain in a POS economy car?" Well, if you're rich and/or a very good fabricator, you can. But, since you actually needed to ask the question to find out how ridiculous the question actually is... no, there's not a snowball's chance in hell you could do that.

posted by  Bino

A SRT-4 isnt a POS economy car.

posted by  StiMan

Amen - POS economy cars do not come from the factory with a 2.4L turbocharged engine, and tuned suspension systems.

posted by  dodgerforlife

They do if the company in question looks around their facility, has their eyes fall on their already existing POS economy car, they take it and put a 2.4L turbocharged motor in it... then a POS economy car comes with a 2.4L and a turbocharger.

I hope you guys don't honestly think in any part of your being that a Dodge Neon is anything more than POS economy car... because it is. So, an SRT-4 is a Dodge Neon (aforementioned POS economy car) with a 2.4L turbocharged motor. So, if we're talking about removing the 2.4L turbocharged motor in favor of an 8.3L V10 and a 6spd, then (without its robe of colors) it is just like every other POS economy car Dodge Neon on the road.

posted by  Bino

A) Neon is not a POS - yes, it is an Economy car, but not a POS.

B) Yes, the SRT-4 is a Neon, with the 2.4L turbocharged engine. Oh wait, the SRT-8 is the Magnum with the bored out V8 HEMI, and oh damn, the SRT-10 is the Ram 1500 with the V10 Viper engine.

C) What in the hell are you talking about.....remove the 2.4L 4 banger for a 8.3L V10 in the NEON? That wouldn't be a POS economy car - that would be a civic eater/monster. How the hell could that be like every other Neon on the road? Are you mental?

posted by  dodgerforlife

General concensus from every person I've ever spoken with who has owned one... they're a POS. Sorry.

Congratulations on that wholely irrelevant statement. Yes, a Honda civic comes with a 4 cylinder, some Ford pickups are 4WD, an Evolution Lancer is AWD, a WRX STI comes with a 4 cylinder and a turbo. Was there actually a point you were trying to make here?

Well, since the whole point of this thread is a question about putting a Viper V10 in a Dodge Neon, and my statement was why put a Viper V10 in a POS economy car... and in no way made a reference to a Dodge Neon that actually had a V10 in it... another wholely invalid point for you (you're definitely winning the irrelevant points game). So... is english not your first language... or do you just not pay attention to what you read?

posted by  Bino

You need to get out more then. There are several forums dedicated to Neons, and personally, I haven't found a single thing wrong with my car yet, my friend who drives a 95 sport loves it, and I know several others who haven't had a problem whatsoever.

Yes. You just managed to completely miss the point. Congratulations. You say that the SRT-4 is just a Neon, which is just a POS economy car. I'm making the point that the SRT lineup is all derived from base model vehicles offered by Dodge, to show you that even though the Neon is a "POS economy car", what about the Ram SRT-10 - the world's fastest production truck?

Please take a look at what you said, closely.

"...removing the 2.4L turbocharged motor in favor of an 8.3L V10 and a 6spd, then it is just like every other POS economy car Dodge Neon.."

You explicity talked about putting the V10 into the car, and still called it a POS economy Neon.

Clearly I payed more attention to what you said, then what you did.

Muffin, please think, type, and edit, before submitting your next reply.

posted by  dodgerforlife

how can i remove the top speed limiter and how much would it cost

posted by  Rocko790165

Interesting, I lived with a guy who had '98 R/T, we took it to the shop every two weeks for some retarded failure (2 weeks, like clockwork). I also used to work with a guy who had a 2dr. "sport", it was low mileage and he said it was a POS, he couldn't wait to sell it. It makes no difference that there are many discussion boards for the car. There are discussion boards dedicated to EVERY car.

Hello irrelevance. Yes, the Dodge Neon is a POS economy car. It makes absolutely NO difference that the whole SRT lineup is derived from base model vehicles... none. It still means that the Dodge Neon and SRT-4 are POS economy cars. Thank you for proving my point. Were we talking about the SRT-10?... didn't think so (one might call that an irrelevant point...).

Well, you completely misread how I intended that, but I could see how a person of your intelligence could miss that subtle word play. I'll try to use small words and short sentences from now on so I don't confuse you.

posted by  Bino

I'm really done with this thread. Bottom line, the answer to the original question, not a swap you're going to be able to do. End of my contribution.

posted by  Bino

Why? I guarantee there's no way you can legally drive the car beyond its governor. Judging by your questions (and the experience I can tell you have with cars) I'm not going to help you kill any innocent bystanders.

posted by  Bino

well thats why i posted here to find out more and should i go with a mopar turbo upgrade or is there turbo that is cheaper and better cause ive heard some people say mopar=shit

posted by  Rocko790165

I have to agree with Bino on at least the fact Neons as a whole are very unreliable when ocmpared to others in the economy car class. It has almost always gotten the lowest reliability marks since it's inception. Statistics disagrees with you there. The SOHC Neons had the most problems though, I hear the newer DOHC unit neons are slightly better in ENGINE reliability but still a far cry fromsay the Civic or Corolla's near perfect reliability history in comparison.

Still dont believe it?
I dont care what either you or Bino has experienced with the Neon, near population statistics are much better to look at for the truth than what someone says by word of mouth.
Check JD Power....check Consumer Reports...etc...

The only problem I've ever heard of with Neons is the shitty 1st gen headgasket, which has since been corrected...

And looking at JD Power ratings for the last decade, the reliability has actually come up from what it was.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Just like I said DOHC>SOHC in reliability, BUT STILL not close to that of class leading Civic or Corolla. Trust me, obviously there was WAY more issues with the 1st gen than just the headgasket to get those horrible marks. We've had our T & C taken in about 15-20 times for pretty major repairs in a matter of 5 years and it gets the same reliability marks as the Neon.

ok since some people think neons are shit and since the SRT-4 is a type of neon is it a souped up POS and is it worth getting or is there something new under 22,000$ that is better and thanks for being so helpful

posted by  Rocko790165

I DO think the Neon is a POS and I would never in a million years own one. But, having said that, the SRT-4 has a very potent drivetrain and responds very well to aftermarket modifications. For the money, there's probably not another car that is as versatile (cheap, turbo, sedan... haul your friends, etc). Do a bit of research on SRT-4 specific discussion boards. They've been around long enough that you should be able to find out what their problems are (if there are any).

Other than the Neon, there's the Cobalt-SS (2dr. only), or an EVO/STI, etc. Again, in that price range, there probably isn't anything. Unless you are willing to pick up something with a little higher mileage... then get a Galant VR4. Think of it as the predecessor to the EVO.

posted by  Bino

Thought you were done with this thread?

Im sorry to said it but there are very few American cars that can stand up to a Honda's or Toyota's reliability.

posted by  StiMan

If you care a lot about handling and dont like the look of the Neon then the 2006 Civic Si is a great choice. Has very superior handling and puts out between 220 and 225 crank horsepower.

But how does it compare in all to the Neon SRT-4? If you could please get all the specs on the Civic Si and on the SRT-4 0-60 times n such, thanks :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

bino is my new best friend, ive wanted a 240 for a long time but where i live (iowa sux) there either trash or riced out and id want it to put a sr20det in it with a tein suspension, a complete catback exhaust including headers, exhaust line not just the muffler, then cold air intake, and weight reduction see i know more about 240s then neons

posted by  Rocko790165

Cant get any handling specs on the Si yet, nor tested 1/4 miles. The Si hasn't hit the market, YET. But it will, very soon.

Vtec.net only tested handling subjectively around a road course and on twisty mountain roads. They tested the 0-60 to be 6.8 on theirs. But again, 0-60 means nothing, some fabricated figure...Plus, 0-60 and 1/4 mile isn't what the Si was amde for.

From what they said it is going to handle noticeably better than the RSX-S does. Kind of figures with the all new suspension setup and LSD up front now. Not to mention Honda finally getting summer performance tires on it!

You can also get optional 18" wheels/tires or you can get the full HFP package for the new Si.

The thing I continue to dislike about Honda motors is the absolute lack of any torque. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually quite a big fan of Hondas in general. But their motors don't actually fit my driving style. I like torque, I don't want to have to rev the motor to nearly its redline in order to generate some form of power. I can definitely see how they have their niche in the market. But if I ever owned a newer Honda... it'd have a K24 in it... probably supercharged.

posted by  Bino

now im thinking about getting a 1997 honda civic dx for 5000 with a 100174 miles on it and by the time i put as much money as it would cost to buy a srt-4 it would be faster so now i dont know what to do if i should buy a cheaper car and modify it so i can save money and learn how do more tuner stuff or get an already pretty fast car and maybe do a little to it HELP :banghead:

posted by  Rocko790165

Are you prepared to step into the world of building up a car, which would probably involve an engine swap/rebuild, turbo kit installation, plus upgrading a wopload of other pieces of the car?

If you don't think so, then it probably isn't the best way to start.

posted by  dodgerforlife

hello everyone!

i would like to start off by saying i have had my 05 neon srt 4 for 5 years now. i have never in that time frame had any kind of problems or failures. i have modded it for only 4grand to put down 430whp on a stock motor. i have pulled on a 490 04 cobra mustang with a procharger on it. i have pulled on several turbocharged hondas and modded twin turbo 3000gt's and 300zx's. dont get me wrong i love turbo hondas and muscle cars. also everything about the turbo nissans but i love my neon to death. i love the exhaust note turbo sounds and the power for only 4000 invested with 0 problems.

430whpsrt   13 Oct 2012 19:20

Your Message