Mustangs

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Mustangs

So the other night Me and my friend are riding around in his AWD Talon TSi when this mustang pulls up to us. So my friend revs up at the guy and he revs back. But then i look over and see that it has a cobra on the side and i tell me friend that hes gonna beat you from a roll. So we take off and turn and get on to the highway. then the guy floors....but i dont hear a supercharger. then we are going at 60 he floors it and my friend punchs it and what do you know we are running from him.Well come to find out its a guy that goes to our school who told everyone that hes superchargered and has 500hp and runs 9s. When i heard that i laughed so hard. Pretty funny..People that drive the mustangs...i just laugh at them..cause there slow..and they suck :wink2:

posted by  IwantaSti

Quit generalizing. Makes you look as ignorant as those you make fun of.

posted by  ChrisV

I noticed your talking about your friends car, what kind of car do you drive? My guess would be a late 70's Ford LTD station wagon. Thats probably why you ride around in your friend's car instead of getting a life.

posted by  x1/9-rally

I could type out a long reply on how idiotic you just showed yourself to be but I will sum it up in one word... ignorance. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

What an idiot.

posted by  PontiacFan27

At least he has the initiative...I mean look at his name "IwantaSti" :laughing: :doh:

The point of this pointless thead is...

posted by  chris_knows

yap he's pretty mucha complete moron

posted by  Stem

no my point is that mustangs suck...a v8 vs a 4 banger and the dude lost

posted by  IwantaSti

And our point is that you are an inexperienced, closed minded moron who actually knows very little about anything, particularly cars.

posted by  ChrisV

Mustangs suck? I'd like to see you defeat a good driver in a Mustang GT, or actually be able to back that up with something definitive. I'm sorry, having a friend that lies and a poor driver is not proof enough. Come back when you have a hint of knowledge about anything other than "this is my favorite, and this is not".

In a few years, I hope to own a 2005+ Mustang GT. And believe me, it is not because they suck.

posted by  hondaman

Exactly. :thumbs:

posted by  nsupra27

Get a clue douche. What car do YOU have anyway?

posted by  importluva

I give this a D- overall. At least try to show SOME effort...

posted by  dontmatr

You know there a V6 mustangs right? The V6s Ford doesnt give a shit because the name Mustang sells the V6 Mustangs, not its performance. Those are piles, but sorry, your friends little TSi couldnt beat a Mustang GT that knew what it was doing.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Thank you, I tried to quote him and wrote up a decently long reply including that about V6 Mustangs... and then... my internet Explorer froze as it sometimes does qhen quoting someone... which is why I quoted you then copied and pasted this and simply replied... lol

posted by  Pythias

The V6 Mustang can hold its own too. 6.8 seconds to 60 is far from poor. About what a TSi could expect.

posted by  hondaman

0-60 isn't a measure of true performance though.

Take a look at 1/4 mile times. The last gen 99-04 V6 Stang's were pretty much, slugs (seen the automatic ones do 16s, have seen the manuals go mid 15s though). Even worse were the 160hp and 145hp 3.8L varients.

The 05-06 Mustang V6 will get around mid 15s (15.3-15.7) pending tranny choice. No rocket but definatley better than the old...

posted by  thunderbird1100

Did the 99-04 V6's not have around 190 hp?

posted by  Pythias

The V6 Mustangs tend to run the quarter mile about as quick as the small block V8 musclecars in the '60s, and as quick as the Accords and Camry's of today.

But the real question is this... Why does it matter? On the street, I have yet to see people in those cars (V6 Mustangs, Accords, Camry's etc) use even 50 hp to get around. From stop lights, or on on ramps, it doesn't matter. No one ever uses even half the horsepower they have alrady. My PT only makes 150 hp and I rarely have to use more than half throttle if that to keep up with modern traffic.

I mean, if the V6 Mustang is slow, then what about what Car and Driver said about the 2006 Accord V6?

"Honda claims a mild 4-hp increase in engine output, to 244 at 6250 rpm. We've never thought the Accord was underpowered; Honda apparently thought otherwise. The 2006 Accord ripped through the acceleration test to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds, a tie with the Sonata, then strongly broke to the front to clear the quarter-mile in 15.1 seconds at 95 mph. For the record, the old Accord needed 7.0 seconds to hit 60 and was 3 mph slower in the quarter."

And I have yet to see ANYONE drive a new Accord like that. So how much horsepower it has and how quick it runs the quarter seems pretty unimportant to actual drivers. Same with the V6 Mustang. if you're not going to go racing, it seems more than adequate.

posted by  ChrisV

I for one would drive the car like it is supposed to, using as much of the hp :thumbs:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

i agree with hondaman, mustangs don't suck, your just stupid :screwy:

posted by  rstifle3000

Serioulsy, on the street you rarely get the chance. Lik I said, when not on the track, I rarely get to use all the hp the PT has. Even those times when I'm front of the line at a light.

posted by  ChrisV

Hey ChrisV, I need to visit this haven of good driving you speak of. Here in Jersey, we have a lot of 4 lane roads that merge down to 2 lanes(usually after a light) and it seems like everybody is always trying to race you just to get 10 feet ahead of you and go slow anyway. Mini-vans are probably the worst here(WTF, soccermoms)...I've had more mini vans try to race me from a light than anything else. I hate Jersey!

posted by  Sick88Tbird

They did. The 160hp and 145hp varients were 94-98.

I see what you're saying but then again, I've seen several Accord's at the track. ON this forum, none of us really are the "actual normal drivers" as much as we care about "how fast is that", "how well does it handle".

Just because people aren't racing you from a light doen't make it a haven of good driving. You have "jersey Jughandles" where you make a left turn by taking a loop off to the right and then going across the intersection. Here in MD, they do away with that and people simply turn left from the right lane across you. I've also seen them turn right from the left turn lanes.

But, you want to see the reality of what I'm talking about, simply drive the top or bottom of the Jersey Turnpike or anywhere on the Garden Parkway near a toll booth...

posted by  ChrisV

I've seen all sorts of vehicles a the track. But even if you add up ALL the motorsports minded Accord drivers nationwide, what percentage of them are there vs how many Accords are sold annually? Same for Camrys. Or any other mainstream car for that matter.

Even if you add up all the people that regularly post on this forum, we'd barely fill up a single city block's traffic. And most of the people here that care, really would be hard pressed to utilize all the ability of any modern vehicle. Especially when it comes to handling.

Most people here are magazine racers and read tenths of a second in differences as though it was hours of difference, and a couple mph as though it was the difference bewteen Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari and Mr Magoo.

posted by  ChrisV

I see your point. Here in Texas there are a lot of fast cars that cruise around. People mainly get the cars b/c of the stats but dont use it. They just show it off. There is a Saleen S7 that drives around here. Whats the point if you cant drive it to its potential?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Ahh I thought you were referring to the 99-04 as the 160hp, I didn't see the word variants.

posted by  Pythias

ok im not talking about a V6 mustang im talking about a gt dumbass...my 99 camaro can be V6. im friends car is turbo. and awd. So i guess you right if the raced from a stand still the mustang would win off the line.

posted by  IwantaSti

Ok anwser this if mustangs are soooo great then when are they going to be able to compete with corvettes and vipers?

posted by  IwantaSti

They are different categories of car, dumbass. If Honda Si's are so great, when are THEY going to compete with Corvetes and Vipers? Or Skylines? Or Ferraris?

Instead of asking retarded rhetorical questions, why not actually STUDY something? And quit acting like you're 10 years old.

posted by  ChrisV

Following that bit of logic, if AWD Talon TSi's are so great, when are THEY going to be able to compete with Corvettes and Vipers?

posted by  hondaman

Perhaps sometime after they return to production... (not gonna happen).

posted by  Bino

o'doyle rules! :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

Probably because he is 10yrs old :clap:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

When they start costing the same price, then they will start competing with em. How bout that? Never crossed your mind that a $25k GT can't really compete with a $40k vette or $80k viper did it? And in fact, the new GT500 DOES compete with the corvette, and it'll cost around 40 grand as well.

posted by  Vlad

Actually the Ford GT500 isnt going to cost around 40k...its more like 150k....

posted by  IwantaSti

Idiot, thats the Ford GT.

The Ford GT 500 is a Shelby... Get your facts straight...

posted by  ilove///amg

Dont you people get it that mustangs suck

posted by  IwantaSti

Look a vette/viper is a true racong vehicle...
Ok: Straight
The Mustang was pretty much intended to just have fun, and not really race with... Thats why you see so many more restored mustangs rather than vettes, or a 92/93 viper...
Mustang is a type of class... Did ya ever notice vettes cost 30k more, and viper costs 80k more? Sheesh, people these days... :banghead:

posted by  ilove///amg

But its not comming till 2007

posted by  IwantaSti

Ok your right....but there still slow

posted by  IwantaSti

Yes, but soon it will be just the mustang and the vette.

Trivia question to see what you know:
Why did I say just vette and mustang? Why?

posted by  ilove///amg

I dont know..Are they gonna stop making the viper

posted by  IwantaSti

CORRECT!

There replacing it with a Chrysler... The Chrysler Firepower...

Instead of replacing it with the vipers v10, there replacing with the hemi v8 used in the chrysler 300.... So viper is off the list...

posted by  ilove///amg

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Well, the only reason is because the viper is 13 yrs old... But Im so upssseeeetttt!!11!!1!1 :ohcrap: :ohcrap: :ohcrap: :ohcrap: :ohcrap:

posted by  ilove///amg

The Viper isn't going anywhere. the Firepower was shown as a way to spread the cost of the Viper's chassis around by making a V8 powered version aimed a bit more toward luxury. It won't replace the Viper. Either way, it won't be called the Firepower if it shows up, as Exide now owns the name (which is sad, as it was originally the name of the Chrysler hemi engines in the '50s)

posted by  ChrisV

Where did you hear that the name isnt going to be the firepower? Ive heard reviews on the concept, "The Chrysler Firepower..."

Where did you hear that?

posted by  ilove///amg

Mustangs are amazing cars. For what they are. Easy matinence good daily driver and the Gt's give a fair amount of speed with out the price. Mustangs aren't for racing really as they are for doing gigantic burn outs and doing 180 degree turns in parking lots. I think I would rather have a nice stang over a viper anyday because i could never afford to keep the viper up ( insurance , gas, etc, etc) However i could maintain a mustang and now you know.

And vipes aren't going anywhere ever. Chrysler just trying to get luxury crowds attention with a luxury sports car.

posted by  Aondor

shame on magazines! :doh:

posted by  ilove///amg

i love that movie :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  glagon1979

ok, so your buddys car beat a n/a mustang with a TSi. i'll tell ya what, he wuldn't have beat him if any of us were driving. nice try butthole, but mustangs sure DONT suck.

posted by  glagon1979

the CONCEPT name is that, but they can't use that for production.

http://www.aicautosite.com/autoshows/2005-Detroit-Auto-Show/chrysler-firepo wer.asp

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/naias_2005/0501_chrysler_firepower/

http://motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_05_detas_firepower/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=2382&page_n umber=3

It says in each of these links and in pretty much every magazine article on the car.

posted by  ChrisV

I may be wrong on this, but aern't the new Mustang GTs labeled "Ferrari Killers" ?

In the past I had always been gung-ho with the whole import scene, how they are the best and blah blah blah. Then I decided to take a ride in my dad's friends 89 mustang w/ a dropped 302 into it. Some money dumped into it.. and wow.. it made me realize that hey.. all cars have their perks, why label one car supreme? Sure I may drool over the Saleen S7s, or the Lamborghini's ... the same amount of drool comes about when I see a gorgeous red 67 Chevelle SS on a webpage too ;).

posted by  Metzger

Sadly they arent ferrari killers... A corvette can barrreeelllyyy beat a ferrari, and I hate to say it, but a vette would kick a stangs butt... :banghead:

posted by  ilove///amg

explain the shame on magazines comment?

posted by  Aondor

I can't believe there is so much misinformation in this thread.

NO. That is incorrect. That statement refers to the Ford GT and the old GT40.

And whoever said the new Mustang Gt500 "is a Shelby"...ugh. Its still a Ford. Its still made by Ford. Just Shelby has its hands in it, and it gets the Shelby name.

posted by  Mathew

No need to flip out.. I even stated that I may be incorrect. Slight misunderstanding on the word of mouth that I heard.

posted by  Metzger

In fact, the '07 GT500 is still designed and BUILT by SVT, they used the Shelby name for two reasons, which kind of intermingle. First, since the new body style is a retro deal, they wanted to use Carroll Shelby's name. In order for that to happen(here's reason number 2) they had to let Carroll Shelby oversee everything...best decision ever.

This time around, Mr. Shelby didn't do shit other than say, "well, it needs to look like this, it needs to ride like that, and this is how it should perform" and then take rides in it.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Your Message