Pontiac Solstice

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Pontiac Solstice

What does everyone think of this car? Just wondering because my Aunt has already pre-ordered hers, scheduled to get here around April.

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

posted by  Pythias

I think they look cool.

posted by  x1/9-rally

i think your aunt is gonna have fun with it.

posted by  pik_d

It's pretty nice, but a bit small...Your aunt would enjoy her, jus tell her to be careful...I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show 2 years ago, here is what the card says:

General: Seating: 2
Suspension: 4-Wheel independant SLA with coil-over shocks
Wheels: 18,8.5 aluminum
Tires: Goodyear P235/45R18 (front and rear)
Brakes: 4-Wheel disc with ABS option

Dimensions: Vehicle Length: 157.2 inches/3994mm.
Wheelbase: 95.1/2415mm
Overall Width: 71.6 inches/1819mm
Overall Height: 50.2 inches/1274mm
Track: 60.5 inches/1537mm (front)
61.2 inches/1555mm (rear)

Powertrain: Engine: Ecotec 2.4L DOHC I-4 (LE5)
Horsepower: 170hp/127kw@6400rpm
Torque: 170lb-ft/230Nm@4400rpm
Transmission: MW5 Aisin 5-Speed manual

posted by  chris_knows

I realy like them
are they quick?

posted by  Aondor

Not very fast, but still impressive, 7.5 seconds 0-60, the 1/4 mile is done in 15.82, at 87.01 miles and 64.3 miles in the slalom

posted by  chris_knows

I love them, I cant wait till the turbo model. I wish they'd make more of them a year though.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I was a little skeptical at first, but it looks good. Small 5-speed (heard all of them are 5 speeds) convertible rwd. Decent power as well, only thing it's missing is dual exhaust.

posted by  Pythias

I like it... I only wish it was a mid engine :wink2:

posted by  TheFieroKid

Ah yes, the elusive dual exhaust 4-cylinder... a true powerhouse indeed.

posted by  Bino

This is the first car to come out of GM in a long while that is all in all a very wel lrounded vehicle, and will be VERY popular. While it is no Miata in performance it can hold it's own in that department. Great price, good enough power and very good handling. I'm so glad GM put the 2.4L Ecotec in there and just didnt throw in the 140hp 2.2L Ecotec... Also, can hold slightly larger folks :laughing:

This is a GREAT step forward for GM, cant wait to see the Saturn Sky.

posted by  thunderbird1100

yeah, can't wait to see the Sky in person. The Solstice looks really good in person.

http://www.fast-autos.net/saturn/sky.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I like the solstice because I can fit! :laughing:

Thats a really nice car. Saturn Sky eh? First I've heard of it. When is it supposed to come into production?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

Everytime I look at it, it kind of looks like a baby Corvette, I love it! Hope those wheels make it to production.

Apparently they did. Here's one at a dealership already...

posted by  ChrisV

Not really, I could care less how much power it would add, I just like the look of dual exhaust. :wink2:

posted by  Pythias

Hot damn, what's the pricing, same as Solstice?

well in that case you could just ask for twin exhaust pipes out of one muffler, like how it came on my neon r/t. i've had people ask me if i modified it to be like that... :laughing:

posted by  pik_d

Man that car looks good. Huge step for saturn. I can see all the V8 diehards drooling at the thought of swapping a small block in there. LS2 anyone?

posted by  importluva

Wtf? They arent supposed to come out till Spring.

posted by  PontiacFan27

There was an LS2 equipped Solstice at SEMA. The LS2 fit rather nicely in the engine bay and tucks nicely between the "frame" rails. With the hood down you'd have no idea it was in there... unless it was running of course.

posted by  Bino

Ok what is a LS2?

posted by  Sgt. Pepper

the LS2 is a chevy 6.0L V8 engine. (the one in the new corvette, but not the Z06).

(and they call that a small block :ohcrap: )

posted by  pik_d

The 7.0L LS7 is a small block as well.

where's the cutoff point? where is the line drawn? thats one thing i've never been sure about...

posted by  pik_d

The physical size and design of the engine, not the displacement. If it uses the small block architecture, it's a small block, regardless of displacement.

posted by  ChrisV

Dunno. Here's another shot of it.

posted by  ChrisV

ah, i wasnt sure which one it was. but still, i've searched google, but never found anything definitive... what would be characteristic differences between big and small blocks?

posted by  pik_d

The physical outside dimensions of the block. If you place a small block next to a big block.... the big block has physically larger outside dimensions than the small block. As far as precisely what those dimensions are... I do not know.

posted by  Bino

yea, i realized a "big" block will be bigger in some respects. just, before asking in this thread, i wasn't sure if it was displacement, or just overall size of the engine... i was really hoping it was something like ~5L/300ci and bigger was a big block, because that would just be so easy...

posted by  pik_d

They have big blocks all the way down into the 300-350CI range that I know of, and small blocks as big as 427CI+.

Nope, not that easy. The first GM Small Block was 265ci.. then it made its way up to 400ci through the years (same block). The GM Big Block started somewhere around 348ci (I think there was actually a 326ci or something, not sure... Chris/Hobo... thoughts?). Basically the auto manufactures initially designed an engine with a large factor of safety and then slowly chipped away at the extra material through the years.

In the '60's GM made an industrial V6 that had a displacement up to 478ci (http://www.6066gmcguy.org/305V6.htm . I'd love to find one of those V12's one of these days...).

So, the "Big Block", "Small Block" designation is just that... a designation for the block, nothing else.

posted by  Bino

Back on track for the thread here...

Heres' the link to the LS2 equipped Solstice:

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

Enjoy.

posted by  Bino

Your Message