Chevy Cavalier 1999 Tail Directional Lights

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Chevy Cavalier 1999 Tail Directional Lights

Hi, great website. I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to become a member.

I have a Chevy Cavalier RS 1999 and recently relocated to Spain. In order to meet local laws demand, the directional lights on the Cavalier need to be orange, but I have been unable to find them anywhere. I tried places like lightlens.com and others and even those that appeared to be orange turned out not to be once I inquired.

Anybody know where I might be able to find orange tail blinkers? Transparent ones with an orange/yellow light bulb would also work.

Finally, anybody know whether there's a that Toyota uses the same tail lights as the Chevy? There's a kid on ebay that claims that this is the case, but I have unable to confirm this anywhere else?

Check out the pics on this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8017473402

Have they been photoshopped or is there really a Toyota model that uses the same tail lights? Otherwise, anyone know of a car that's been sold in Europe whose tail lights are compatible with the Cavalier's?

Thanks a bunch.

posted by  walden

they dont look like they fit properly to me
look at the space between trunk and deck lid
may suit the purpose for you tho

posted by  windman

Get transparent ones and color the outer cover with orange marker.

posted by  PontiacFan27

that will look like shit
get transarent ones and use amber bulbs

posted by  windman

Why is it the old guy always has to have the answers? The short answer is that yes they fit, with one caveat.

About 10 years ago Toyota made an agreement with GM to sell the Cavalier with a Toyota nameplate in Japan, essentially a right hand drive Chevy. Unfortunately for both of them, GM's build quality wasn't up to standard (big surprise) and the deal was canceled. Look here (http://members.shaw.ca/toyota_cavalier/parts.html) for more info.

Time for that caveat. While the lamp assemblies will fit your car, it still doesn't address the issue of wiring. You car has the brake and turn signal filament sharing a circuit. Obviously, the lamp assemblies with amber turns and red brakes require two seperate circuits. My guess is that you're US military stationed in Spain. When I was stationed in the UK we had to convert US spec cars over to amber rear flashers all the time so what you're doing is nothing new. We simply used small amber marker lights and attached them to the rear bumper or tail light lenses. Of course you still have to do the re-wire. If my guess is correct, just visit your friendly local auto skills center and they'll know exactly how to modify your car and can do it for a nominal fee.

posted by  vwhobo

Really? Have you tried it?

posted by  PontiacFan27

No, I haven't tried it, but... Something you didn't bother to think out is the fact that it'll still be two circuits using the same filament. Because of that if he does it your (or that other Bozo's) way, he'll now have amber turn signals and brake lights. It's pretty much common sense, but I know that doesn't apply on this forum. So good thinkin' bud. :thumbs::banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

yeah do what the hobo says and duct tape some lenses to the bumper that will look sweet
but your right i forgot abot the dual feed for the brakes

posted by  windman

Please direct me to where I said to use duct tape, jackass. Can't do it, didn't happen. Just because I hurt your feelings by pointing out how stupid your unthinking your response was, don't get pissed at me. You have the choice to use your brain or not, and obviously you chose not.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks a bunch. Lots of good info. Re-wiring is no problem and should be relatively simple. I have also had confirmation from an Australian friend that he has seen the Chevy Cavalier marketed in Australia as the Toyota Cavalier. Who would have thunk it?

I just hope that finding any other mechanical parts in Spain (alternators, starters, steering pumps, etc) will not be a problem, considering that the car was never sold here. I'll keep you folks posted.

Interesting thing about this car is that while everyone in the US thinks of it as a cheap econobox of average quality, it is quite a head-turner over here.

I am not sure what that says about the car itself, but it is interesting that the same car seems to arouse such different reactions on both sides of the pond.

posted by  walden

Look at the 2 pictures of the tails applied. First the left and then the right. No such thing as a Toyota Cavalier LS :laughing:...at least where I come from. Personally I dont like them, and they look of poor quality. Find better ones. :2cents:
EDIT: nevermind just read the post that clarified but still find it a bit amusing.

posted by  newyorker

I know that Walmart sells ornage bulbs that are the same bulbs that my 1999 Chevy Van uses

posted by  mpdabc

Shit, I thought newyorker posted again :laughing:

That person isn't here anymore and the problem was already solved.

posted by  chris_knows

You forgot to mention that he is a complete idiot and his "solution" does not address the actual issue. Surprise, we have another mouth breather.

posted by  vwhobo

I wasn't sure if it was true or not though...as with most of the stuff in the R&M section lol.

BTW What's a mouth breather?

posted by  chris_knows

People who are, shall we say, from the shallow end of the gene pool.

http://cheesepipe.com/pics/FingerInNose.jpg

posted by  vwhobo

I wonder if his eye hurts...or his nose...or his brain :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message