Engine Swap For Hombre

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Engine Swap For Hombre

The 2.2L is just boring me to death... I realize when I bought the car that it was not meant for speed, but more for fuel economy; but I just can't take it any more. The other day a CIVIC, a stock frickin' Civic passed me on a back road. I'm looking to possibly drop a 350 .. or something of the sort into the Hombre... will it fit? Any recommendations on other engine sizes that would give me ground works for a greater playbase for the engine?

posted by  Metzger

a 350will fit. you should be able to buy a motor mount kit to relocate the mounts. check summit or jegs for the kit. it should be in there :thumbs:

posted by  glagon1979

What year is it and what trans do you have? My buddy used to have a '94 S-10 with a 4L60E, same thing as an hombre...that truck was pretty zippy once we got done with it.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

it's a 98 and just has the standard 5 spd....

posted by  Metzger

See if you can find a CAI for it, they should make one for that...or atleast an S-10, same thing different name. Also, have an exhaust shop bend you a nice cat-back exhaust, preferably about 2.25", just so long as it's not crimped at the bends. Do that, along with possibly a clutch upgrade and you will be suprised how much that little thing will come to life. It won't make a rocket out of it, but it's much cheaper than swapping engines.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Why not just split the difference and swap in the drivetrain from a wrecked 4.3 S10? More power than the 2.2, less hassle than a 350 and you can do the whole thing with factory parts. Plus the 4.3 is easily upgraded down the road?

posted by  vwhobo

I like the 4.3 idea alot.

posted by  x1/9-rally

The 4.3 is also another great idea...I've seen people make in the neighbor hood of 320 flywheel hp with off the shelf performance parts. With the 4.3, you get 75% of a 350 for less than 50% of the cost. :laughing:

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Your Message