Short Block Swap

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Short Block Swap

The timing has jumped in my dads 95 Lincoln Continental, so a new engine is going to be needed. I was told a Shortblock would fit in it, and was wondering if it is true.

Also, if I do go this way, am I going to need to get the entire wiring system out of the car that I took the engine out of, or will some things work fine, and some need to be replaced, or will there be minimal re-wiring involved?

Thanks

posted by  shad0w

I gotta tell you, that from reading your posts on this subject, swapping out the engine seems quite a bit over your head. You don't even seem to have a grasp on proper terminology. I hate to break this to you, but the car already has a short block in it, so yes, another short block would fit. Of course, basically a short block is nothing mre than a longblock... without the heads.

Even if you were to install a shortblock, you'd still have to address the problem of bent valves due to a broken timing chain in an interference engine. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a longblock to begin with, or do you have some good heads laying around in the kitchen? And if you replace the engine with the correct engine, new or used, why would it be neccesary to do any type of re-wiring?

Someone here seems confused, and I don't think it's me.

posted by  vwhobo

Sorry,
I don't do much work with domestic cars...

posted by  shad0w

I smell something I wouldn't want to step in. It matters not if a car is American, European or Asian. The terminology shortblock and longblock applies to all of them.

posted by  vwhobo

Never new nissan had a short block or long block or a small block/big block..

anyways, i'd rather not get into it....

Do you think an engine out of '96 will be compatible?

posted by  shad0w

Yeah, don't spend too much of your valuable time learning anything. I don't recall small block/big block being part of the conversation.

But you're right, I'd rather not get into it either.

posted by  vwhobo

Yes, the '96 engine will work. And if you had read the hobo's post you would know what he was talking about. A short block, regardless of make, model or engine size consists usually of the engine block, crank, rods, pistons, sometimes even the cam if it isn't an ohc engine, which in your case it is. A long block includes all of the above, but has the cylinder heads already installed.

I've said it a million times before, I'll probably have to say it another million times...

THINK , type, submit...the thinking part is the most important.

posted by  Sick88Tbird

Your Message