Is it possible.

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Is it possible.

Ok. My mom might be getting a new car and shes not selling or trading her Chrysler LHS (95-96 i think) and if she says i can its gonna be mine. The only thing is i dont want it to look like a granny car. Is there any body kits or rims i could add to make it look less bucket?

posted by  sandlercd_22

woah if the lhs was in good shape Id love to have it has a first drive lots of space for friends and comfy who care if it looks like a granny car. Beside if you bod kit it it will look like like some yuppy.

posted by  Aondor

I agree, that doesn't look too much of a 'granny car,' but if you really want to make people respect the car, how about a turbocharger? Just have to race 3 or 4 idiots...

For looks...firstly, and I learned this recently too, but it's 'wheels' not 'rims' :wink2:

And I wouldn't go with something like that...If you want to do some fabrication, look around for a body kit that is pretty close to that body (I doubt there would be one for an LHS)...

posted by  chris_knows

Yeh i already looked. I figured just maybe they would cause my friend has a sebring with a bod kit on it.My mom just got a GMC envoy. I really want her car because its so much better compared to my 73 nova. Its atleast got air conditioning and a heater that works properly. But i get enough flak from my nova having 4 doors. I dont need ppl making fun of me for driving a big ol chrysler.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Anything is possible, but the LHS is a luxury sedan. I would tint the windows that will make it look better right away. What color is it BTW?

posted by  newyorker

You want my advice? Don't spend money on upgradind your first car unless you like it, it's a good car, and you're gonna keep it. Most people end up with something else sooner rather than later. I can guarantee that unless you do some MAJOR things to it(like what they do on Pimp My Ride), you won't get your money back out of it. So if you're gonna keep the car for a while, by all means, do w/e. Otherwise, save the money.

posted by  jedimario

http://www.showoffcars.com/Chrysler/LHS/toofast/689906_6.jpg
If youre looking to make it like that, then its poor taste on your part at least IMO.

posted by  newyorker

Its white with the stock alloy wheels :wink2: . Its got some giddyup in it. Ive gotten it up to 100 on the back roads before i got my nova. Fun car just doesnt look good. My friend also has some uni wheels :wink2: that would fit on that chrysler. If i could i would tint the windows and add some chrome to its life.

posted by  sandlercd_22

What are you talkin about dude, that car looks so fing pimp, a few more body parts and it would look like an original car. :laughing:

posted by  Pythias

What year?

posted by  newyorker

:wink2:

posted by  chris_knows

So you'd rather get laughed at for having a body kit on a luxury sedan (you probably wont even paint it, either), than be seen driving one? I'd take the car and keep it as it is and save up money to buy yourself something you like.

If you saved up money, and also sold the car later, you could buy something pretty good. Its still sells for pretty decent money.

posted by  PontiacFan27

He didn't listen to me, what makes you think he'll listen to you? He's obviously bent on throwing some money away.

posted by  jedimario

If its throwing money away you want give it to me and il do it for you :wink2:

posted by  newyorker

Thanks captain obvious. I just wanted to know the EXACT year.

posted by  newyorker

Not even getting laughed at, but I would be pretty embarrased driving that black car I posted. Its like a nightmare on wheels.

posted by  newyorker

Let me just end this thread now. No its not possible to get a body kit for an LHS, nor is it tasteful. No it is not possible to make it a 10 second car, nor is it practical. It makes no sense spending money on chrome rims for that car (if you get them free, check out how much a tire costs and come back here) because the car is not rare, nor is it a new car that you will drive for a long time.
My :2cents: ...just drive the damn thing and have a good time with the leather seats and luxury. Dont make a car something it wasnt meant to be. Instead of wasting money on rims and a kit thats nowhere to be found, spend that money on the Nova and make it nice and then sell it for a nice gain. Use that money to get a car you really like.

posted by  newyorker

Oops...But aren't they just about the same for both years?

posted by  chris_knows

Yea....I just wanted to sound like I knew what I was talking about :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

Yeah...I've tried that a couple of times...and ended up looking like an idiot :laughing:...like when I though a blower was a turbocharger :doh:..and confused rims and wheels :doh:...
They might still be different, I'm just going on from what I've seen/heard/read...

posted by  chris_knows

Dawg da shoes on ma whip is da bomb! Rollin on 24os and ridin' spinnaz! :banghead: :orglaugh:

posted by  newyorker

:orglaugh::orglaugh::orglaugh:

Priceless...

posted by  chris_knows

Dawg I aint playin. There rims right hurr, they aint fo the weak. These from the Shan Jawn boi ya mean?

God I hate when people talk like that :banghead:. And people that put chrome rims and body kits on luxury cars sound just like that. :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

Theres a 2DR floor shifter nova at the salvage yard and im hoping my parents will sell it and get me it for X-mas. Theres also a running Chevelle with mag "wheels" for 1,500$. I like Chevelles better but i got part for the Nova with my 4DR. I also got a 350 and a edelbrock 4B intake and carb and chrome valve covers. WTF WAS I THINKING!

posted by  sandlercd_22

Change the wheels slightly and it's not.

I've wondered for a while what the VIP treatment would look like on the LHS. I love the bodystyle and an all black one would be cool to cruise around in, lowered mild skirting, and custom wheels (I wouldn't use the wheels pictured, but the idea is sound).

But hey, what should I expect from a bunch of narrowminded, inexperienced, no-imagination teens. :thumbs:

Of COURSE luxury cars shouldn't have body kits. That's why AMG and the like are so unsuccessful...

BTW, a waste of money is building YOUR car the way someone ELSE wants it.

posted by  ChrisV

I love watching Chris at work. I a LHS and a Dodge stratus "pimped" both are here in town (Iowa City) While the Stratus may not be a lux. sedan, it is not your average PoS (or maybe it is) but the guy that added a body kit with some neew wheels and a big ass wind in the back gets laughed at more than admired. Still trying t oget a pic of the car. The LHS on the other hand is nicely done. Almost looks liek a new paint job riding on some Modest chrome wheels. Looks a lil lower than standard but not dropped to the floor by any means. The LHS lives around where I do, I'll see if I can get a pic, but that car might be covered with a foot of snow right now.

posted by  Voda48

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=vip+style+car

BTW,it's interesting to note the the only people talking about laughing at these cars are people that have already proven that they don't know much about cars... Kinda makes you think, huh?

http://img.7andy.jp/bks/images/i4/M0000724.JPG

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/111000-111999/111420_1_fu ll.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

To me the original black car posted simpyl looks like it is trying WAY to hard to be something its not.

posted by  Pythias

What? It's trying to look like a custom car?

The idea behind doing something like that is still valid. I'd bet with differnt wheels and a good photoshoot, that LHS could be considered a nice ride. So what's wrong with suggesting HOW to make something like that come together to be attractive instead of just saying stupid remarks like "luxury cars can't be such and such." That's just so much narrowminded bullshit.

I think it's a perfect candidate for VIP style, and wonder where that body kit came from (the picture is so blurry it's hard to tell exactly how it fits on there). Heck, it might be possible to adapt a more subtle fiberglass kit from something else, paint it body color, choose the right wheels, lower it slightly, and have an excellent cruiser. Considering the buy-in for the project is free, it makes EVERYTHING cost effective, as you COULD make all your money back if you decide to sell.

posted by  ChrisV

My friends got a Chrysler Sebring with a body kit on it and tinted windows and import wheels. Looks pretty cool. I like his el camino better.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Yes it is valid, and in viewed some of the cars from your link and they don't look bad but that particular bodykit on that car just doesn't seem to look right to me personally. I am referring to that only car in particular not any kind of custom cars.

posted by  Pythias

And I'm referring to the sentiment in this thread that said "look at this car. it's proof that you shouldn't do anything custom to these cars (or luxury cars in general)."

And to be honest, from what I could see of that particualr car, only the wheels were really not the way I might do it. I'd probably go with something like this:

http://www.billetwheel.com/Wheels%20by%20Series/Forged_2-Piece_Series/F_02. jpg

or this:

http://216.120.250.216/pictures/wheelpics/VT2137.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I couldn't agree more.

posted by  67Coronet383

O yeah, didn't think of that. :screwy:

But my point is, he shouldn't spend money on it unless he plans on keeping it. If he wants to keep it for awhile(and from my experience, people usually want to get something else after they've had their first car for a few months-a year), by all means, go crazt with it. I personally like the "VIP" style if it's watered down a little form those pics from your Google search.

posted by  jedimario

Well, maybe they want something different because they didn't do anything to MAKE the first one the way they want? I know a number of people who still have their first car and have been customizing it along the way.

Hell, I customized my first car within a few days of being given it. And I customized my next one, and the next after that. It's a lot of how I learned about cars. I've had over a hundred cars in the last 25 years, and if I only customized or had fun with cars I was planning on keeping, then I'd never have enjoyed ANY of them.

That's why they call it a HOBBY. It's what you do for FUN. Look how much money people spend on video games they aren't going to play after a few months, or spend on whatever else that they want to do as a hobby (like skiing, or whatever...).

posted by  ChrisV

See you didn't specify that at first, you simply referred to everyone that was making fun of the car.

posted by  Pythias

Seems like if it was his hobby he'd go buy his own car instead of taking a free one, remember, it's his hobby, he spends money on it. Unless he just wants what he's getting enough to not pay for something he wants more, which i kinda doubt, if this is indeed his hobby.

posted by  jedimario

There's nothing wrong with getting something for FREE in a hobby either. :banghead: A large percentage of the cars I've gotten in my hobby have been FREE. The HOBBY part means enjoying it. If that takes spending money, then it does. If it takes finding good deals on cheap or free stuff, then there's no reason not to do THAT, either. The HOBBY is playing with cars. It doesn't REQUIRE spending money, NOR DOES IT REQUIRE NOT SPENDING MONEY. It only requires personal enjoyment! Jesus F*CKING Christ, does it physically hurt to be as dense as you are being????!

Seems to me you just want to have an excuse to put down yet another car that isn't YOUR favorite.

posted by  ChrisV

? Are we in the same conversation? I just went back and looked and I STILL don't see what you're trying to say with this post...

My very first post indeed specified it. In fact, my first SENTENCE did.

newyorker: but I would be pretty embarrased driving that black car I posted. Its like a nightmare on wheels.

Me: Change the wheels slightly and it's not.

Then you said it's trying "too hard" to be something it's not. And nowhere does it indicate it's trying to be ANYTHING but a custom car.

So I don't know where you're going with your accuastions...

posted by  ChrisV

ChrisV, do you ever feel like you're wasting your time? Because...you are. If they don't get it at this point they never will.

posted by  67Coronet383

Funny is that everyone bitched when all I did was agree tih them, saying "opinions are more important than knowing what you're talking about. Everyone is right, no one is ever wrong."

Hell, everyone gets A's in school with that method, 'cause I'm sure all their teachers will agree with them when they say, "I wasn't wrong on that test, I was merely expressing my opinion!"

Yeah, I get tired of the closed minded bullshit.

posted by  ChrisV

Just keep in mind these people don't want to learn, they want to be right even when they're wrong. It's all that matters to them.

posted by  67Coronet383

This is what I was referring to, but I now see what your saying, I had thought for awhile that you grouped me there, when infact I was referring to the one black car, not the sentiment of the thread as you posted.

posted by  Pythias

ChrisV is a really smart member of the forums. He is in NO WAY wasting his time, because his posts are usually the voice of reason, and answer many members questions.

posted by  newyorker

OK Chris, your turn to be ignorant. Actually I'm homeschooled and taking courses at a community college, so I get my A's by putting down the right answers. No, my parents don't give me any slack, and the professors at the college sure don't either.

And I see your point about the hobby thing now, so you win. Happy now?

posted by  jedimario

How does anything I said point to being "ignorant?" Whether your teachers are in a school or are your parents, do they allow you to let your answers be wrong if you say "well, it's my opinion?" I doubt it, yet you want to be allowed that here or you get mad at whoever is pointing it out?

WTF? Do you say this to your parents when they point out where you were wrong in your schoolwork?

posted by  ChrisV

Why does every thread i post at turn into a argument.... This isnt going to be JUST a hobby for me, i plan to do it as a job. Buying old cars,fixing them, and selling them for twice as much as i payed for them.

posted by  sandlercd_22

Well I TRIED to conceed Chris. You said that the only way all the people on here get A's is because they tell their techers "it's my opinion that it's right, therefore it should be" and that's why we have that attitude on these forums. I was explaining that that's not he way it goes. So I quit, you win, leave it at that.

posted by  jedimario

Good luck with that. By the way, all threads turn into arguments. Its just the forum's nature. Dont take any mind to it. Just leave the LHS as it is, its a good car. If you dont want it I will ship you my Neon and you can work with that well do an even trade. :laughing: Trust me just keep the car and drive it thats it.

posted by  newyorker

way to go, man... another sandlercd_22 post--another argument.... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

:stupid:

posted by  newyorker

Ok shifting topic. We just got a big snow fall here in good ol oklahoma (near tulsa if ya dont belive me) and my car (73 Nova if ya already havnt known) doesnt exactly have traction control. in other words its hell to drive in the snow. Now my mom blames me for my led foot but i say its the car. Is there anywhere i can get 14 inch mud tires that will fit in my fenders. I cant drive that car in the snow anymore. Theres no stopping nor any accel.

posted by  sandlercd_22

i would not advise mud tires for the snow... i made the mistake of having m/t's on the brown truck in the winter and found out from a buddy that owns a tire shop that in mud, you want a tread pattern that will clean itself out, whereas in snow, you want a pattern that will hold it in... that truck will go thru a million feet of mud, but dust the ground w/ snow, and it's slippin and slidin...

posted by  dodger65

Can't you get chains anywhere?

posted by  jedimario

Snow is mud? Get snow tires. If you dont plan to keep the car, I wouldnt even spend the money on them. Get chains

posted by  newyorker

Im keeping my Nova FOREVER! idc if i have to get a whole new engine. Its my first car. sentimental values.

posted by  sandlercd_22

So stick it in your bedroom, but for now drive the LHS :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Your Message