Commander Truck - too cool to not post

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Commander Truck - too cool to not post

This is just too sweet not to share. A friend sent this to me, I saw a different version on AutoWeek awhile ago too...

posted by  boothe

I saw that at the last Detroit Auto Show, seems pretty cool, like a classic truck...but I've heard that it isn't going into production :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

The ones I saw were all concept, I wish they'd put it into production - I love the mounted tire. I'm really digging the Commander as it is though - I think it's a sweet ride and good move for Jeep since they went big and still kept it real offroad.

posted by  boothe

That concept looks sweet, but I agree with boothe - the one they have rolled out to the dealerships looks plenty cool to me.

Anyone see this boss version:

http://www.xkjeeps.com/photos/SEMA_2005/Commander_sw_005.jpg

posted by  ChromeDome

Thats BA! I wish theyd produce it.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I'm going to be the bad apple and say that personally, I think the truck is hideous. It's a Hummer rip-off. I'm not digging the look. Plus, it's built by Chrysler :doh: :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

Hummer rip off? Then I guess Am General ripped the design off of every jeep going back since jeep started. That looks pure Jeep too me.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Ugly. Not as bad as that Masserati Birdcage the dude posted in the Off Topic board.

posted by  newyorker

Actually, sorry, but that isn't the Commander.....

This is the Commander: http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/commander.html

The one you are referring to is the Gladiator:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/gladiator.html

But I love it :)

posted by  dodgerforlife

I love the gladiator truck. Just looks so freaking bad ass! Amazing if you ask me. I don't even know what engine it has though, all i know is i like how it looks.

posted by  Vlad

It would be nice if Jeep could put a decent engine in it (not the shitty 3.7L V6). Until then a new Frontier is a much better buy if they decided to mass produce it.

posted by  thunderbird1100

It's not like you'd be stuck with the 3.7 as your only choice.....you have the option of the 4.7 power tech v8 and the 5.7 hemi v8 with MDS.

posted by  dodgerforlife

They do have a few different engine options on the Commander. The Commander's 330hp V8 actually gets about the same mileage as the 292hp Explorer (Commander is 15/19, Explorer is 14/20), I think Motortrend commented on this in their SUV of the Year issue...

Re: Gladiator, I thought it was built on the Commander wheel base, but I just did a compairson based on dodger's link, and the Commander is definitely smaller - same idea though I like the retro boxy look!

posted by  boothe

No, you probably wouldn't. But I should of said the 4.0L I6 from the Wrangler, because that's what the Gladiator basically is, a pickup Wrangler.

"The JeepĀ® Gladiator converts the Wrangler into a pickup truck, "

And the only engine options in the Wrangler are the junk I4 and the underpowered 4.0L I6. So I bet other than the 2.8L Diesel they offer those would be the only engine options unless they all of a sudden magically put the 4.7L in the Wrangler too. Which is, well, not going to happen. The Hemi is out of the question. This truck is supposed to basically be a very light duty pickup, I dont think it's supposed to compete with the Dakota.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Ugh, I ****ed up and looked at the wrong thing :doh:

posted by  dodgerforlife

I dig that.. the commander looks all-jeep to me too, and that is a good thing. I imagine that Hemi option has all the juice you would need, even if you lifted it and punked it way out.

posted by  ChromeDome

Your Message