Nitrous

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Nitrous

So exactly how does this work. How long does a 5L bottle last? What kind of performance gain can I expect, and how much would a decent kit be for my car? What about the installation?

posted by  newyorker

You must be kidding...

But, in answer to your question, here we go:

In order to burn more fuel, you need to add additional fuel and oxygen to let the fuel burn.

Every nitrous-oxide system does that either through the factory injectors or by adding additional fuel nozzles. The nitrous oxide system simply puts more fuel into the engine. The additional amount of oxygen needed to burn this fuel is also supplied by the nitrous-oxide system. The additional oxygen is supplied by injecting gaseous nitrous oxide into the engine. When the nitrous oxide gets inside the engine, it supplies almost twice the amount of oxygen for combustion.

A bottle, high-pressure lines, solenoids, jets and nozzles are included in all nitrous-oxide systems. The nitrous-oxide bottle usually holds 10 lb of nitrous oxide (not that much) and usually stored in the trunk (contrary to Fast and Furious movies. A high-pressure line will carry the nitrous oxide forward to the solenoid. The solenoid is an electronically controlled valve. When a signal of 12 volts is sent to the solenoid, it opens and nitrous oxide is then sent to the nozzle and into the engine. At the same time that nitrous oxide is injected into the engine, the nitrous-oxide system will by some means add additional fuel into the engine. Fuel is injected at anywhere from 6 to 60 psi, while the nitrous oxide is injected at 700 to 1200 psi.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Now, here's why I think you're nuts:

Most starter systems come ready to generate an additional 40 to 120 hp but improperly installed nitrous-oxide system can cause severe engine damage. If nitrous oxide is injected into the engine without supplying an adequate amount of fuel or no fuel at all, then you've got trouble. The temperatures in the combustion chamber will skyrocket, and the engine may detonate and parts will be broken and melted, not to mention your car can turn to a July 4th Fireworks display.

Also, the less you learn about nitrous, the more likely you are to have a bad experience. Also, and most important, it is not the use of nitrous oxide that causes engine damage. It is the misuse of nitrous oxide by the tuner and driver (no comment). Every engine has its limit. A stock engine doesn't have the toughness of a racing engine. The engine of a Neon won't be able to handle that much.

Factory fuel filters begin to degrade in performance as early as 10,000 miles. When installing a new nitrous-oxide system, it is recommended that you replace your factory fuel filter and be sure that the injectors are clean. This is pricey, if you include it into the price of the Nitrous. The other area that you need to address is the vehicle's ignition system. A factory ignition system is designed to operate at near factory horsepower levels. A nitrous-oxide system can easily overcome the capabilities of a stock ignition system. Be sure that the spark plugs are new and that the ignition cables are in good condition. This is even more money.

The cap and rotor should also be inspected on non-direct-ignition-system cars. An ignition amplifier, high-performance ignition wires and spark plugs that are one heat range cooler.

Add in all that, plus the actual system, plus the installation, plus the risk factor, I don't think it's worth it. That took a lot of research so if anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Copy paste, copy paste. Im half serious about the idea. If I had money I would, but not for this car.

posted by  newyorker

First of all, get some facts before you make accusations. Since it's not copied and pasted exactly word for word, unless I gave you the site from where I got it, you'd never be able to locate it.

Secondly, if it's so easy, why couldn't you find it and asked here? That's what I thought.

Anyway, that's the answer to the question asked, I learned something new too. :mrgreen:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

But you DID give me the link to where you got it.
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0205it_nitrous/
I just wanted to see how dumb this idea was.

posted by  newyorker

I actually wanted to just paste the link, but a lot of stuff around here is considered advertising, and I thought that link might be it.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Nop. If tis educational, im sure the mods wont have any problems...Now will we fellas? :hi:

posted by  newyorker

I see ads for it in quite a bit of tuner magazines...of which I only buy Sport Compact Car, with different boosts in power, from 30 or 60 (I think) up to 120 I believe...can't remember any prices on them though :doh:...And I remember it saying that you can't use it on a turbocharged engine (for obvious reasons).

posted by  chris_knows

It's plenty worth it. Name one other upgrade where you can get 150 horses for 500-600 bucks.
And here's a link for info on nitrous (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7890)

posted by  Godlaus

You might want to tell John Sheppard that, because I'm not sure he knows :mrgreen: .

posted by  Godlaus

Hey, this makes the engine burn cleaner!! We can all put NOS in our cars and then they'll be more enviroment friendly!! We have found a way to defeat the enviromentalist wackos!! YAY!!!

posted by  jedimario

Except that nitrous actually acts like it's doubling your displacement. More fuel to go with that air.

And the environmentalist wackos were trying to get this stuff illegalized.

posted by  Godlaus

Well, if it adds more oxygen than fuel, then the engine is burning cleaner.

posted by  jedimario

Nope. With nitrous, you're getting more air in, but there always needs to be 14.7 parts oxygen to 1 part gasoline (stoic).

So now, instead of 73.5 parts oxygen with 5 parts gasoline, you're getting 147 parts oxygen to 10 parts gasoline.

And there is no real 'burning cleaner'. You're just thinking of burning 'leaner' which is VERY bad for your car when your combustion chamber is running lean with nitrous.

posted by  Godlaus

So my neon will be at 300 horsepower? With an all stock motor? That cant be good, I dont wana start leaving things behind me on the road when running Nitrous

posted by  newyorker

So it just doubles the input of both. What I mean is, in the oxygen/fuel ratio, the more it wieghs towards the oxygen, the cleaner the car will burn, b/c it will make less carbon monoxide.

posted by  jedimario

But why would an old University Professor with a degree in agriculture care about nitrous?...Besides, I can't find his e-mail anywhere, and he's dead...didn't you get the note?...He died 66 years ago :screwy: :laughing:

John Shepperd (http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/archives/collections/UAMss8JohnShepperd.htm)

:orglaugh: :orglaugh:

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew :laughing:

EDIT:...I just saw the first post, and was wondering how long a 10L bottle would last?

DOUBLE EDIT: Spelled the first EDIT wrong :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

If its Nitrous then I really have no idea. If NAWZ, then for a 1/4 mile race, and it will blow the mantifolds and make your car do a cool spinout, and might get you told off by the big man himself, Vin Diesel.

posted by  newyorker

Right, right, NAWZ :smoke:...stupid keyboard :laughing:

Real NAWZ won't only blow the manifolds, it'll blow floormats, window tints, I've even seen it pop the steering wheel right off...just *POP* :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Thats nothing. Ive seen it further ruin bad movies, blow people out of their seats, and dont forget blow girl's skirts up :banghead:.
P.S. Finally a more or less useful purpose for it. (aside racing)

posted by  newyorker

My apologies, I wasn't specific enough. I meant it's not worth it for him, as he doesn't plan on seriously racing and isnt running a very powerful engine to start with (no offense Alex, I'm stating strictly facts, I'm sure you can agree).

Thanks for the link, I know more about this stuff now than I did before. I'm learning, yay!

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Don't forget frying the pistons. :laughing:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

WOW you did learn :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

None taken. Its just a car to get around for the time being. Still beats the other people in my school that have cars. Out of all of the people that go to our school, less than 30 drive their own cars to school.

posted by  newyorker

I have one comment for you Nissan_Altima - the stock Neon block, head, and cams can take up to about 600hp before it becomes a major issue. Only thing that you need to worry about are the rods and pistons, and those will take about 330hp before its a problem. So a 100 shot of Nitrous wouldn't fry the engine ;)

posted by  dodgerforlife

Hmmm....maybe. But it's not practical, cause the next thing to go when you run lean is your combustion chamber. So, you'll be putting out cleaner air, but it'll only be putting out that clean air for 1,000 miles.

Wow....if DSMer were still here....even though you are being sarcastic....

He would still rip your dink off. :mrgreen:

posted by  Godlaus

Damn. Thanks for the bit of info. What if you put in a Magnum head? And the engine is a 420a. Were there any variants? I have the DOHC and the SOHC might hvae been the 420a. Where can I find the info. Is if printed on the block somewhere?

posted by  newyorker

Both the SOHC and DOHC were cast on the same block, the 420a - the head is the difference, the SOHC is standalone, the DOHC shares the same head as the 2.4.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Woah! Are you serious? I had no idea!

In that case, say he gets a Nitrous Kit for about $600. That plus careful installation, will come out to under a grand. Is it ready to use or is there something else?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Pretty sure thats it. Except the super dooper cool steering wheel buttons :laughing:

posted by  newyorker

Whats the Magnum head? Ive seen them for sale for the first gens on neontuners.com. Guy wanted like $135 for it, but not sure of the miles on it. He said 3000 I think. What does it do, and what parts does it contain?

posted by  newyorker

BUT the air will be cleaner!! Who cares if we have to replace our engines every 1000 miles?!? WE MUST SAVE MOTHER NATURE!!!!! :banghead:

posted by  jedimario

This is where the flaming starts :banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Yes because he made a joke. Flaming starts. Intelligent comment. :banghead:

EDIT:

I'd LOVE to see someone push a stock neon motor up to 330hp and see how long it lasts. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

You must do drugs or something, you're not always THIS stupid. :roll:

posted by  jedimario

Look at his posts a little closer. :banghead:

posted by  Pythias

:laughing:

posted by  jedimario

N20 doesnt add more fuel on its own, Altima. It adds oxygen. Additional fuel is just something the fuel system does once it detects the extra air.

posted by  PontiacFan27

And yet, 2 of the three types of nitrous systems add fuel with their nitrous solenoid.

Nitrous, by itself, is nitrogen and oxygen. No gas in there.

posted by  Godlaus

Haha, then again your killing Mother Nature with all the toxins, etc that you're releasing by making all those new engines :laughing:

posted by  car_crazy89

Your Message