New Car

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  New Car

I was at a local car dealer yesterday and I saw 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for 6 grand which was in my price range and it only had 55k miles on it.Then as i was walking around the car to see if there was and scratches i saw that below the GTP it said supercharged. I want to know if is a reliably car and if it would be a good car to take it to the drag strip.

posted by  IwantaSti

Hhhmm, 2000 GTP, 6k, Dealer

It doesnt add up. a 2000 GTP with 55k miles and a "Fair" condition has a private party value of $7,565.
Look (http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.IL;368565;IL031&60618;+p&723;Pon tiac;2000%20Grand%20Prix&6;PO;E3)

Dealer prices are always more than this. Suggested Retail for this car is $10,525
Look again (http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.IL;525845;IL031&60618;+r&60618;+ r;Pontiac;2000%20Grand%20Prix&6;PO;E3)
And I did sedan because the 4 door is always cheaper than the 2 door.
I think it would be a cool car to take to the track. Reliable?? Ask a Pontiac owner. My response of "NO"would be extremely biased, my familiy has only ever owned Japanese imports (because they've lasted us for forever).
:2cents:

posted by  elchango36

It was 6995...so it was 7k....With my luck theres probably something wrong with it.

posted by  IwantaSti

Have you ever taken a math class??LOL :laughing:
You were to supposed to round up. 6995 is knowhere as near to 6k as it is to 7k. That makes a hella difference.

posted by  elchango36

Not much difference when saying the suggested retail is 10.5k.

posted by  Pythias

Look around the car pretending like you're an expert, and watch if he gets nervous, muttering stuff to yourself :laughing:

Just test drive it, make sure she runs smoothly...IMO it's a nice car :2cents:

posted by  chris_knows

Not a bad price, and that engine is known to be reliable and easy to upgrade (like a pully swap to gain hp).

posted by  ChrisV

My friend just got an SE and he is very pleased with it. Is that one a 2 or 4 door? And all GTPs are Supercharged from what I know.

posted by  newyorker

Now let me get this right, a few weeks ago you were exclaiming how much all Mustangs suck, now, you want to go out and buy a heavy FWD Pontiac? Wow, just wow :laughing:

But yeah, $7k is extremely fishy, I mean no Pontiac (in more recent years of course, not talking about an old Judge GTO) will hold its value well at all. But it should be a bit higher than $7k, ESPECIALLY at a dealer. My best guess is it was in a crash, and it was severely damaged, and then repaired. Some dealers do this, a lot. Matter fact the only nationwide dealer I know of that even CLAIMS they dont do this is Carmax.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Wrong you are. They started to have the supercharged 3.8 in 1997. BEfore then it was just a run of the mill N/A 3.4L in the GTP. The GTP started in 1995 and for 1995 and 1996 the GTP used a 210/215hp (pending year) 3.4L N/A V6.

So the 97 and up has a Supercharger. The Boneville really gets my :thumbs: for most beautiful and luxurious car on the Pontiac Market. SSEi really gets me going I saw one for sale 1997 for 6000 with 123k miles i think.

posted by  newyorker

And you were right i was in a wreck but the lady couldnt tell me what had happened.

posted by  IwantaSti

does it have a salvage title?

posted by  adamc44

I'd probably stay away from it if it was in a wreck. I wouldnt buy a GM car made in the last decade except the higher up models (Vette, F-bodys) if you're looking for something reliable.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Just becuase it's higher up in the model line doesn't mean it's more reliable. Look at BMW, their 7 series in recent years has had EXTREMELY poor reliability (Electrical issues out the wazoo), while the 3 series has significantly less issues.

GM 3.8 cars tend to have less problems as well than say LS1 equipped F-Bodies. I've known a few LS1's to give way...

Your Message