do the letter GTo mean something?

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  do the letter GTo mean something?

Theres around a 1971 ( we think) gto rotting in an empty yard besdie my friends house. We were discussing how someone needs to rescue the car .
In our discussion we came to the question of does GTO stand for something?
Or is it just some random letters

posted by  Aondor

Girls Take Over :laughing:...Or at least they advertised it as that in some commercials :laughing: I'll look into it though :wink2:

EDIT: Didn't take as long as I thought,

Gran Turismo Omologato...not very catchy :doh:

posted by  chris_knows

what is omolagato?

posted by  Aondor

Find the owner of the car, ask how much he wants for it if anything. try and strike any deal thats reachable. I dont even pay for most of my original Chevy parts from the salvage yard from just doing work for the guy. haggle a little bit.

posted by  sandlercd_22

That's the Italian way of saying Grand Touring Homologated. i.e. homologated (produced in specific numbers to legalize the car as a production car for FIA road racing) GT car, vs Prototype GT car. Used originally on the Ferrari 250 GTO in '62 and "borrowed" for the Pontiac in '64.

posted by  ChrisV

So does that mean the "GT" in Mustang GT stands for Gran Turismo or Grand Touring?

posted by  moostang104314

Not real quick on the uptake, are you. Gran Turismo and Grand Touring mean the same thing in different languages. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Now I'm sure of this but just wanna check that GTR stands for Grand Touring Racings right? I heard about it before but just wanna verify it with mr hobo here.

posted by  Spanky2324

GTR is simply GT with an R stuck on the end of it because it sounds cool. R has been used to stand for roadster, racing, racer, roadracing, ricer and based on some of the cars I've seen it on, ridiculous.

posted by  vwhobo

I know that. I was just asking if GT stood for Gran Tourismo (which is Grand Touring in english)

posted by  moostang104314

Your Message