Chrysler 300

Home  \  Domestic Cars  \  Chrysler 300

I had occassion to be next to one of these at a set of traffic lights yesterday. It's a bulky, butt ugly thing isn't it and no get up and go for a car with twin exhausts :wink2:

posted by  Wally

id argue its sleek yet looks powerful and has plenty of get up and go depending on the package.
There excelent vehicles

posted by  Aondor

Same idea with Wally...didn't really like her too much, looks kind of like a tank, and underpowered...

posted by  chris_knows

for a car that ranges from 190hp to 425hp (2.4x as much as the base) it's hard to say that "it lacks in power"

though for a car that starts 300lbs shy of two tons... anything less then 300hp (and torque to match) is a big slow tank... the C trims though (which include the SRT8) are all pretty powerful, not too shabby in my opinion.

posted by  pik_d

I was referring to the 190hp engine...but I guess it isn't designed for speed, or performance, but luxury, as it needs like 10 seconds to get to 60 mph...

The 300 has a 425hp engine?...Biggest I've heard of is the 340 horsepower, V8...

posted by  chris_knows

nope. the 300c comes in an srt8 version. a slightly bigger V8 (6.1L as compared to 5.7L), 425hp and 420lb-ft of torque.

posted by  pik_d

well there is an srt8 version of the car, expensive as hell tho. Im surprised that pikachu guy isnt calling it an srt8 tho.

its a nice car tho, as long as you have really big rims on it tho :smoke:

posted by  shaka zulu

Oh yeah dawg, gotta have them rims, ridin' on those 26's, thems dubs maan, gotta have some spinnaz and nawzzz too dawg, then my ride will be supa fly dawg :banghead: :banghead:

:laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Read the posts, jackass. In BOTH posts, pik_d clearly said "srt8".

Read, think, type, submit.

posted by  dodgerforlife

I don't know Wally. Look at this (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9479&page_ number=4) and also this (http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=10433&pag e_number=1) (second page). You might change your mind when you see the numbers.

posted by  vwhobo

Indeed. You have convinced me that I was half correct. I should have known a bloke old enough to be Moses' dad wouldn't sink the boot in.

posted by  Wally

I do agree that the looks are definately in the love 'em or hate 'em category. I personally like them, but only in certain colors.

posted by  vwhobo

What's there not too like about the "Poor Man's Bentley"??? I think it's the best thing to come out of Daimler-Chrysler since the Viper. I also believe it was 2004's Car of the Year according to Car and Driver (if my memory serves me correctly.) :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

I love them, especially in 300C form (the headlights are quite a bit divverent than they are for teh base and mid level versions...). Definitely unique designs that aren't trying to copy anything else, other than draw from teh heritage of classic American luxury sedans, like the '60s era Lincoln's and Imperials, with a bit of classic 300 series Chrysler thrown in the mix (like the large eggcrate grille).

I especially like the appearance of a factory chopped top...

http://www.startech.de/bilder/picn01.jpg

I would LOVE to see a coupe version like this one...

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/cars/pics/chrysler300coupe.jpg

As for the weight, it's no worse than any other luxury sedan. Hell, it weighs less than my old Jaguar XJ6s... And they are great cars to customize...

http://static.flickr.com/40/74517505_6f3b27e671.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Really??? The grille always reminded me of the Bentley Arnage.
http://www.theautoappraiser.com/03_Bentley_Arnage_RF.JPG

I would love to see a convertible Version.

http://photos.velocityjournal.com/images/full/2005/131/cr2005300cconvertibl ebya1316323.jpg

Yes they are. And as much as I hate the show Pimp my Ride, I think West Coast did a great job with this beauty...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/742000-742999/742000_1_f ull.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/13/1868/1024/DSC_0071.jpg
I don't know about you, but I prefer that honeycomb grille over the eggcrate grille. Give it an even more Bently like look. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

The aftermarket grilles do give a Bentley look, but the eggcrate grill on it stock is a direct homage to the original 300 letter cars from the '50s...

'57 300C:

http://www.madle.org/300c1.JPG

After this one, the 1959 300 series went to the crosshair grille that Dodge is currently using...

posted by  ChrisV

Awesome..thanx for clearing that up Chris. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

dont have a picture, but i know a guy that chops and strecths cars, and he did it to 2 300C's... i have never seen a better lookin stretch in my life

posted by  ride3k

The whole retro look has to go. These things look like a bar of soap lined with chrome.

posted by  SteelSpirit

In the infamous words of Car-Forums newest idiot;

Another way to put it would be to say STFU ass clown.

posted by  vwhobo

Not only are you in denial and an imbecile, but you are also a coward. So now you have to post about me in other threads, huh? Pretty weak, kid.

posted by  SteelSpirit

As people have said, apparently you are entitled to your opinion. So is Hobo. If you express an opinion on something, he can express an opinion on your opinion. And if your opinion is negative and insulting, don't act so hurt that you got insulted in return. When the stated opinion diametrically opposes experts in the field you are speaking on, however, one has to wonder what your experience and knowledge level really is...

For example, I woudln't go onto a medical board and say "it's my opinion angina can be cured by rubbing grape jelly on your chest." or say, "that X ray machine sucks because I don't like the way it looks."

A car that is successful because of it's design may not be your cup of tea, but objectively it can't be a bad design.

And cars like this are perfect responses to the accusations that "all cars are starting to look the same" "Cars look like jellybeans" and particularly "what happened to a sense of style like cars USED to have?"

Retro works just as well in cars as it does in any other major product, like new Mission-style houses and furniture, or new Colonial houses, or new '50s modernist. And since not all cars are retro, you DO have a choice. Pick the choice that's right for YOU and quit being an insulting prick about the ones that aren't for you.

posted by  ChrisV

The major difference between my opinion being insulting and his opinion being insulting, is that mine wasn't aimed at a person...behind their back.

There are no experts when it comes to opinions, they are totally subjective.

True that; technically, there are no BAD designs, only different tastes. I just think that it makes a disturbing statement about the American populace when something shaped like a shoebox covered in gaudy-ass chrome is considered to be attractive. But that is my just my opinion, of course.

And that is the demographic that Dodge tapped into when they stopped making cars that look like 21st century creations and tried to make them look like old cars. Again, IMO, the retro look is ugly and it is a fad that will not even last as long as the payment plan for most of those cars. Trying to make a new car look old is as gay as Abercrombie and Fitch clothes that have been "pre-worn" to make them look stylish. It is an oxymoron.

I wasn't being an insulting prick. I was expressing my opinion on the look of a car (isn't that what forums are for?) and as a result was personally insulted by someone who probably couldn't come up with a complete set of human teeth if their whole family donated, simply because he doesn't agree with my taste in cars.

posted by  SteelSpirit

that miracle grape jelly...

are you SURE it's not a cure-all? you keep bringing it up. :mrgreen:

posted by  pik_d

Oh, were the designers or buyers of the 300 here in person? Or did you insult their choices behind their back, as it were?

Not this crap again. If an opinion is based on mistaken informantion, then the opinion is just as mistaken. And yes, there are professional opinions and expert opinions. They are even used in courts of law.

if you're having trouble with your car, would you follow the opinion of someone who never worked on a car, ore somone who worked on your model of car for many years? if you were sick or injured, woudl you want the opinion of a serious doctor or paramedic, or that of someone who watched ER on TV the night before?

You apparenlty disagree with Hobo's opinion of you, and say that he's wrong, but then you say that opinions can't be wrong. If they aren't wrong, then hobo's opinion is, by default right. Making you exactly what he says you are. If we are to take you at your opinion on the 300C, the we have to take him at his opinion on you. See how that works? After all, they are both merely opinions. if you say opinions can't be wrong, then you don't get to pick and choose which ones can an can't be stated or listened to.

You don't understand that statements as you just made ARE being insulting, do you? Apparently it's ok for you to insult people you dont' know (the designers of the 300C and it's supporters) but not ok for people like hobo to insult people HE doens't know (i.e you). Face it, you were being insulting and you got what was coming to you.

Forums are for sharing knowledge, not just unsbstantiated, subjective opinion. Especially when that opinion is designed to denigrate that which isn't your favorite.

Why is it so hard to merely buy what you like and let others buy what they like? Why does it ALWAYS come down to insulting the things that aren't your favorite? That's just small minded and petty.

posted by  ChrisV

It's just a very blatant hyperbole bit of example that even non-medicos can understand the ridiculousness of.

posted by  ChrisV

I don't think hobo was doing it behind your back .... I saw it, and I'm on the other side of the world.

posted by  windsonian

Well...physical location isn't a factor with the internet. But he moved to a different thread and started slandering me to other members. That is considered talking behind someone's back, when they aren't there to hear it.

posted by  SteelSpirit

It's an OPEN forum ... I'm sure he expected you to go and read it. Or do you think he was stupid enough to think that you were stupid enough not to be able to navigate around threads?

posted by  windsonian

Maybe. I don't know this guy, VWHBO, so I don't know what his intentions were. I can only judge him by his words and actions in another thread-- he has a tendency to insult other people when they don't agree with him.
It doesn't matter that it's an open forum.
ANALOGY:
Lets say you have an argument with someone at work. He goes into the other room and starts talking shit about you to some other co-workers. Just because you have the right to talk to anybody at your workplace or be in any room at that place, doesn't mean that person wasn't talking about you behind your back. The fact is, you weren't present when he was trash-talking you to other workers.

posted by  SteelSpirit

No, the correct analogy would be if he went in and wrote it on a blackboard, then left it there for you to see, and respond to when you saw it. Talking and posting on a forum are two totally different things. You don't have to be there at the exact instant to see what's on a forum.

posted by  windsonian

He would have addressed it to me then. Anyways, whatever.
How's the weather in Brisbane? I visited there when I was in the Navy. I loved Brisbane and Cairns Harbor. Darwin was pretty dull though.

posted by  SteelSpirit

Just to let you know...at my work I have driven one(not very far - just into the garage)...was a 5.7L V8 Hemi engine in it and it does have some pretty good acceleration just tapping the pedal...pushes you back into the seat pretty hard.

posted by  Golddragoner

[QUOTE=SteelSpirit]The major difference between my opinion being insulting and his opinion being insulting, is that mine wasn't aimed at a person...behind their back.[/QOUTE]

Ok, here's my insulting opinion on SteelSpirit without it being behind his back. Ready?? StealSpirit is an idiot!!!! :2cents: (It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.) Thank you, have a nice day :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

less beer, more soberness there elchango :laughing: you might want to re-read your post and see the irony in calling him an idiot :laughing:

posted by  dodgerforlife

LOL...Sorry :oops: I was pretty hamered last night :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

*cough* hammered....

ehehe, it's all good man lol

posted by  dodgerforlife

It's a little bit cloudy here today and they're prediciting low 30's (deg C). Has been a bit rainy recently, but in general another nice warm summer.

Darwin's just a little country town that basically only survives because of the military posts up there.

posted by  windsonian

"nice" warm summer! No such thing in Brisbane.

Darwin ... well it's been nearly twenty years since I stayed there. Had a wail of a time at the Maranga Pub, with the bar full of knuckle dragging bikies, roadtrain truckies, pig shooters (looking like Donk from Crocodile Dundee) , violent criminals on the lamb and some pacific princess' doing strip shows. You know when you're in the thick of it when you notice the chairs and tables are all chained to the floor .
:mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

Ok, so back on topic...I love the 300 SRT-8, and hope that some time in like 5 to 10 years to own one. I think they look best in black, with black wheels. Me and my friend were at the gym the other day, and there was one sitting right there...black, black 22s with a chrome lip, pitch black windows, chrome door handles and other accents...just one bueatiful car.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think its looks like a "mafia" car, especially in black?

posted by  Vlad

ha!! if summers aren't any good up here, then would you care to explain the beach house on the goldie???!!!??

posted by  windsonian

The one with air conditioning? :wink2:

SteelSpirit I hear the next PT Cruiser will be even more retro (http://www.rovercarclubaust.asn.au/p3motx.jpg). :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

So, a trip across the country to sit indoors ...?

posted by  windsonian

It would only be in my car collection collecting investment. :smoke:

posted by  nightroad

all quiet on the western front? :mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

Yikes!! Sounds dangerous....but fun.

posted by  SteelSpirit

Well, like I said, obviously lots of folks like that look, and Chrysler definitely did their homework, because they do sell. I just don't like the retro look, personally. But that is not to say that under the body they aren't great cars.

posted by  SteelSpirit

Your Message